Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 07:19 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,419,751 times

Advertisements

I once had next door neighbors whose dog used my lawn for his poop place. I would go out every morning, scoop it up with a shovel and throw it back into the neighbor's yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say It Like it Is View Post
I was recently had the police called on me over this. My neighbor allowed her dog to urinate on my baby trees. I happened to be outside at the time and i yelled "nooo!" My neighbor got nasty with me for yelling at her dog and i informed her it was better to yell NO than to put a bullet through its head. Well, she called the Police and told them i threatened to kill her dog.
The police came to me and asked me if i said that to her. I had to clarify my words then showed the officer the damage to my baby trees from the high alkaline content in dog urine. As i am doing this the neighbor was on her porch watching the two of us interact. The officer nodded and informed me to sue her over damages to the trees. Easement rights laws do not apply to animals. The officer left and walked to my neighbor and ticketed her for personal property damage.
I suggest you take pictures of the dog in your yard, pictures of your damages, then ask your neighbor not to allow the dog in your yard or you are within your right to sue for personal property damages. Good luck!
I would also have asked the officer to "trespass" her letting her know that the next time she sets foot on my property she will be arrested. Hey, it was her idea to call in the police right?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,322,063 times
Default What Is With You People? It's the Original Poster's Yard, Let them Live in Peace

I am with the original poster 100%. The suggestion of motion-detecting sprinklers sounds about right to me.

I am astounded at the responses I'm hearing. It is the original poster's yard. It is NOT the dog's yard, the dog owner's yard, and that to me is EVERYTHING. This person has every right to be left alone on his or her own property. The minute that dog somehow becomes able to pay a mortgage, property taxes and HOA fees then and only then does that dog matter one bit. Otherwise, that dog and its owners are irrelevant to this person's yard and have no rights at all.

You can't go shooting where you live obviously (and it sounds like wouldn't want to go that far with it anyway, but I live in the boonies and that would be an option in "these parts"), nor could you trap the animal I'd imagine (I live in the boonies and I'd be inclined to trap it and take it to animal shelter as a "stray"), but I do like the idea of motion-detecting sprinklers. I'd raise the biggest stink about this possible (pardon the pun) in terms of filing a formal complaint with the HOA organization and even see if animal control or city codes could do anything (although I doubt they could or would). If they don't respect you, I'd go looking for another HOA that is more respectful of a person's private property and let them know such was the reason why I left. There's no excuse for this. You are under ZERO obligation to tolerate this. Their dog is THEIR dog, your yard is YOUR yard, simple as that.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-16-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 07:55 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,699,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am with the original poster 100%. The suggestion of motion-detecting sprinklers sounds about right to me.

I am astounded at the responses I'm hearing. It is the original poster's yard. It is NOT the dog's yard, the dog owner's yard, and that to me is EVERYTHING. This person has every right to be left alone on his or her own property. The minute that dog somehow becomes able to pay a mortgage, property taxes and HOA fees then and only then does that dog matter one bit. Otherwise, that dog and its owners are irrelevant to this person's yard and have no rights at all.

You can't go shooting where you live obviously (and it sounds like wouldn't want to go that far with it anyway, but I live in the boonies and that would be an option in "these parts"), nor could you trap the animal I'd imagine (I live in the boonies and I'd be inclined to trap it and take it to animal shelter as a "stray"), but I do like the idea of motion-detecting sprinklers. I'd raise the biggest stink about this possible (pardon the pun) in terms of filing a formal complaint with the HOA organization and even see if animal control or city codes could do anything (although I doubt they could or would). If they don't respect you, I'd go looking for another HOA that is more respectful of a person's private property and let them know such was the reason why I left. There's no excuse for this. You are under ZERO obligation to tolerate this. Their dog is THEIR dog, your yard is YOUR yard, simple as that.
There are some posters who are treating this as a "how to handle your dog" thread.

My point(s) have nothing to do with the dog, but how the OP chose to handle the situation, which was not well. Polite people would take care to ensure their dog did not roam in other people's yards, but this all could have been handled with a simple conversation and request from the owner.

Instead, she chose to make it personal and air her grievances in public.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,322,063 times
Default Yes, Keep YOUR Dogs Off of MY Property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Or here's an idea... keep your precious fido off MY property!

Mean spirited because they don't want someone's dog on property that they pay for? Wild animals are one thing - they are not under anyone's control. Your dog, however, is completely controllable. Snowflake owners like you just think they they should be able to do whatever they want and everyone should love it.

KEEP YOUR DOG OFF SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY or pay for your own place with a yard and let it go there!

I do not understand why people think it's okay to let their animals roam around on someone else's property. Do you pay for it? No? Then you and your dog can kiss off.
Amen to that. Amen, amen, AMEN!!!!

Why is this so hard to understand? Your dog didn't pay for my place, nor did you the dog owner, so you have ZERO rights here. I don't care why your dog is here, it's here and I don't want it here and that's reason enough. Where I live, in the boonies, many would resort to "shoot shovel and shut up" frankly, and so be it. It might seem cruel, but it's what many have to resort to "in these parts" when people have the mindset that the whole world belongs to their dog. I doubt this person can do that since they're in a HOA, but I'd sure raise the hugest stink about this and if the HOA refused to hold the dog owner accountable, I'd be looking for another HOA that was more respectful of a person's right to be left alone on their own property.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:37 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,903 times
some folks in our area have put up small signs, politely asking that you keep your dogs off their front lawns, so their kids can play on "clean" grass, and we make sure we dont allow our dog on those specific lawns; plus, we always try and keep the dog on the easement side of the sidewalk, to try and ensure that the dog only goes on there..
Sometimes you just cant help it, but a sign, and, maybe a small fence, will help reduce how many dogs are actually on your lawn; but to think you can keep them off your easement? Not gonna happen in most towns in the USA..

Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,002,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
some folks in our area have put up small signs, politely asking that you keep your dogs off their front lawns, so their kids can play on "clean" grass, and we make sure we dont allow our dog on those specific lawns; plus, we always try and keep the dog on the easement side of the sidewalk, to try and ensure that the dog only goes on there..
Sometimes you just cant help it, but a sign, and, maybe a small fence, will help reduce how many dogs are actually on your lawn; but to think you can keep them off your easement? Not gonna happen in most towns in the USA..
Why should any homeowner have to put up....."a sign, maybe a small fence"..... in order for dog owners to not allow their dogs to trespass.

You make it sound that homeowners want dog owners to use their lawn for relieving their dogs and the weird ones who don't should have to erect a .......sign or fence "....?

I presume my neighbor does not want me or any of my pets on his lawn.

I believe I should stay off unless he erects a sign.........."dogs welcome "

I can't believe the arrogance of some dog owners who believe they have rights to my lawn unless I jump thru hoops by installing......"a sign or fences"....

Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,002,435 times
Years back there were signs in Norfolk VA that read........." sailors and dogs keep off my lawn "

At least the sailors had an excuse ( drunk)
The dog owners' excuses must have been either ignorance or arrogance .

Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Why should any homeowner have to put up....."a sign, maybe a small fence"..... in order for dog owners to not allow their dogs to trespass.

You make it sound that homeowners want dog owners to use their lawn for relieving their dogs and the weird ones who don't should have to erect a .......sign or fence "....?

I presume my neighbor does not want me or any of my pets on his lawn.

I believe I should stay off unless he erects a sign.........."dogs welcome "

I can't believe the arrogance of some dog owners who believe they have rights to my lawn unless I jump thru hoops by installing......"a sign or fences"....
I'm not talking about your lawn; its your EASEMENT that you don't have the right to choose if you allow a dog on or not

and, in this country, the VAST MAJORITY of people, dont lose their minds if a dog happens to pee on their lawn, even though, the easement is obviously the preferred spot to have your dog relieve them selves on..

If you cant deal with that, then move to a town that forbids dogs on lawns OR easements, or, fence your property off...

Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM

694 posts, read 1,358,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say It Like it Is View Post
I was recently had the police called on me over this. My neighbor allowed her dog to urinate on my baby trees. I happened to be outside at the time and i yelled "nooo!" My neighbor got nasty with me for yelling at her dog and i informed her it was better to yell NO than to put a bullet through its head. Well, she called the Police and told them i threatened to kill her dog.
The police came to me and asked me if i said that to her. I had to clarify my words then showed the officer the damage to my baby trees from the high alkaline content in dog urine. As i am doing this the neighbor was on her porch watching the two of us interact. The officer nodded and informed me to sue her over damages to the trees. Easement rights laws do not apply to animals. The officer left and walked to my neighbor and ticketed her for personal property damage.
I suggest you take pictures of the dog in your yard, pictures of your damages, then ask your neighbor not to allow the dog in your yard or you are within your right to sue for personal property damages. Good luck!
May I inquire what town you live in? As a former law enforcement officer in Missouri, I am curious what agency you dealt with on this incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs