Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times

Advertisements

YOUR dog......can pee in YOUR Yard. I don't want to see it, or you, or the yellow spots created by urine burn in MY yard.

It is real simple: Stay Off My Yard. It is not a public urinal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,003,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
YOUR dog......can pee in YOUR Yard. I don't want to see it, or you, or the yellow spots created by urine burn in MY yard.

It is real simple: Stay Off My Yard. It is not a public urinal.
You and I are wasting our time.

Some arrogant dog owners believe they can do as they please.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,808,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You and I are wasting our time.

Some arrogant dog owners believe they can do as they please.
When I was younger, I loved dogs. Now I can't stand them and it's mostly because of inconsiderate a-hole owners who think everyone should kowtow to their dog. I don't want your dog jumping on me. I don't want your dog slobbering on me. I don't want your dog doing its business on my lawn. And most of all, I don't want to listen to your dog barking!

Why are these things so difficult for some dog owners to understand?

Old 05-16-2017, 02:00 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,643,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Last night a women who lives in my development was walking her beautiful large Husky. She proceeded to let the dog urinate on my front yard, near a tree and a flower bed. We added an element to our alarm system that alerts us to someone in our yard (not near the street) so we looked out when we heard the alarm and watched the owner allow the pet behavior.

I do not know the owners, but have seen them before in the neighborhood and they seemed pleasant, waving, etc. I posted a mention on our HOA FB page that I thought was improper pet owner behavior and rude.

Of course I was summarily blasted by other residents.

Is it too much to ask that all the hard work my 71 year old husband puts into our yard, restoring it from neglect from the previous owner and spending money on flowers, fertilizer, etc. to think dog walkers would curb their dog and use city-owned grass areas near the street? I don't feel it is asking too much.

The owner responded that, basically, his dog could pee anywhere it wanted, it wasn't something he considered or worried about and that he picks up feces per city rules. I understand that there may be a generational difference of opinion here. He was not totally impolite but his responses as well as other responses had a snarky quality to them.

I just wonder how these people would feel if I deposited about a pint of urine on their front yard and flowers.

Opinions, please.
auto sprinklers solve this problem.

I used them to get rid of racoons, suggested it to a friend who used them to solve the neighbors dog bothering them. they sell them on amazon and you can turn it off when you dont want to use it.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:04 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,643,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Oh please...honestly..there must be far bigger things to worry about than this!

one can be concerned about dog pee and world hunger they are not mutually exclusive.

it is silly to suggest the OP or others should not care about their home just because there are far worse things in the world. very silly indeed.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
When I was younger, I loved dogs. Now I can't stand them and it's mostly because of inconsiderate a-hole owners who think everyone should kowtow to their dog. I don't want your dog jumping on me. I don't want your dog slobbering on me. I don't want your dog doing its business on my lawn. And most of all, I don't want to listen to your dog barking!

Why are these things so difficult for some dog owners to understand?

I began to feel the same way after seeing too many doggists flouting existing laws, smugly too, so confident that there would never be consequences for it. Even though I have always liked most dogs, loved a few of them including our own two, and still like dogs generally, I can tell there is a shift towards actively loathing more dogs and their owners.

It depends heavily on the owner's behavior. But now both my husband and I would vote in favor of much better enforcement of dog-related laws. We would never vote to allow more access to dogs, based on how poorly "self-policing" the doggists are.

This is not about an occasional dog getting loose from its fenced yard, or barking when something is wrong. It is about habitual disregard for other people, in the name of indulging one's pet or simply being lazy.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:36 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,540,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
auto sprinklers solve this problem.

I used them to get rid of racoons, suggested it to a friend who used them to solve the neighbors dog bothering them. they sell them on amazon and you can turn it off when you dont want to use it.
I would use motion detector rainbirds. Just be certain to adjust the spray so it does not hit the sidewalk.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am with the original poster 100%. The suggestion of motion-detecting sprinklers sounds about right to me.

I am astounded at the responses I'm hearing. It is the original poster's yard. It is NOT the dog's yard, the dog owner's yard, and that to me is EVERYTHING. This person has every right to be left alone on his or her own property. The minute that dog somehow becomes able to pay a mortgage, property taxes and HOA fees then and only then does that dog matter one bit. Otherwise, that dog and its owners are irrelevant to this person's yard and have no rights at all.

You can't go shooting where you live obviously (and it sounds like wouldn't want to go that far with it anyway, but I live in the boonies and that would be an option in "these parts"), nor could you trap the animal I'd imagine (I live in the boonies and I'd be inclined to trap it and take it to animal shelter as a "stray"), but I do like the idea of motion-detecting sprinklers. I'd raise the biggest stink about this possible (pardon the pun) in terms of filing a formal complaint with the HOA organization and even see if animal control or city codes could do anything (although I doubt they could or would). If they don't respect you, I'd go looking for another HOA that is more respectful of a person's private property and let them know such was the reason why I left. There's no excuse for this. You are under ZERO obligation to tolerate this. Their dog is THEIR dog, your yard is YOUR yard, simple as that.
Well, surprisingly (or not) we haven't determined if the OP actually OWNS the lawn or how far from the street the dog was - despite me asking.

Which is usually a clue.

I see you're not familiar with HOAs or subdivisions where there is no sidewalk.

Secondly, you'd TRAP the dog? While it's on the leash? mmmkay.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 PM

772 posts, read 914,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
So, it is written in law that dogs can trespass ?

Sounds strange !
Yes. Ordiance 106.09.054.023.0547

Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,223,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
You can control where your dog pees. You keep them on a short leash and walk at a brisk pace. This prevents them from "marking". Dogs don't need to stop and pee a dozen times while walking. They mark instinctively to leave their scent behind.

This is what I do when our route takes us along people's property. For the first 1/3 of our walk, short leash, brisk walk, no stopping. During the middle of our walk, when we reach a common area, I'll lengthen the leash and slow down so he can stop, sniff, "mark", and poo. The last 1/3 of our walk, I shorten the leash and resume a brisk pace.

On the occasion when I see that he's about to pee on something that I don't want him to (like someone's garbage bin on the curb or someone's flowers), I'll tug his leash and he'll come along without peeing.
This. My neighbor that has two dogs does this. They trained them to go in their own yard and they simply do not let them go in others yards while walking them. You are in charge of training your dogs so do it. It's your dog and it's pee belong in your yard, not mine on my lawn. Some cities post signs that say "Curb your dogs". Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs