Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 665 times

Advertisements

Hello, I got Duke in the winter of 2015, his birthday is december 19th. He is such a love bug. my point is he will walk and play for hours in the snow(even at below zero conditions) Today I walked him through the park, about an hour and it seemed to me he almost didnt make it home,even though i carry water, he's just not that enthusiatic about walking. Is it possible he is a winter dog?? he will lay out in the sun out on my deck ,as long a i'm there, don't know, he's my first wonderful lab. any suggestions for the summer would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM

34,100 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckunstman View Post
Today I walked him through the park, about an hour and it seemed to me he almost didnt make it home,
even though i carry water, he's just not that enthusiatic about walking.
What was the temp and the humidity level?

Quote:
...any suggestions for the summer would be appreciated!!
Experiment some. Walk him way early or way late at night when it's cooler.
See how he responds.

Quote:
Is it possible he is a winter dog??
It could be.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Labs are bred to plunge into icy cold water and retrieve ducks. So yes, not at all uncommon that they do better in winter. Look at a labs coat compared to something like a German Shorthair Pointer...its significantly thicker with an undercoat.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:
Hello, I got Duke in the winter of 2015, his birthday is december 19th. He is such a love bug. my point is he will walk and play for hours in the snow(even at below zero conditions) Today I walked him through the park, about an hour and it seemed to me he almost didnt make it home,even though i carry water, he's just not that enthusiatic about walking. Is it possible he is a winter dog?? he will lay out in the sun out on my deck ,as long a i'm there, don't know, he's my first wonderful lab. any suggestions for the summer would be appreciated!!
Dogs overheat easily. They can only sweat through their paws. An hour long walk if it's hot could be too much for him. Also hot concrete can burn their paws. Most dogs are less active when it's hot out.

I'd cut back on the walks in the summer and be sure to walk him in the coolest part of the day.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM

17,312 posts, read 12,274,817 times
Yeah I felt like such a bad pet parent when our lab just shut down and laid down in the middle of a relatively short walk. It wasn't because he was tired. The asphalt trail we were on was just too hot and was burning his paws. Was only in the 70s but the asphalt was scorching. Have always checked or just flat out don't take him for walks in the neighborhood in the summer since then. Only hikes up in the cooler mountain trails or out to the beach.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
In the dead of winter I walk my Malamutes for three hours at 9 AM every morning. Today, the same walk starts at 5 AM and as it gets hotter, it will get earlier and in two weeks the walk will start at 4:30 AM. My Mals love winter cause they were built for it; I love winter cause I get to sleep in!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2017, 06:55 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,065,257 times
When we lived in Santa fe I would hose down my former pups before a walk, they loved water and it helped to cool them off.

Ruffwear does make a cooling vest for dogs, I've never used it but did get a cooling gel mat for our pup last year and she loved it.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Quote:
It has little to do with whether he is a winter dog, he is likely suffering from hot temps just like we do when temps are hot. If he is black, he will be even hotter because his color draws more heat.

Some suggestions...
Get him a baby pool, keep it filled with fresh water, he will probably lie down in it to cool off. Also, most people don't realize how hot streets and sidewalks can get in summer, pay attention to how hot it is, and adjust how long you walk with him, and what surfaces he walks on. Adjust your walk accordingly.

The fact he lays down outside only when you are out there shows he is a bit fearful of being left outside in the heat. Do you have shade for him at all times? Fresh water, shelter. Most cities have adapted new laws regarding leaving a dog out all day in the heat.

I have a bulldog, she suffers in too much heat, but she loves being outside. Some of the things besides what I've already suggested I do for her, plus I have bought several of those scarves that humans use that hold cold water and I tie those around her neck when we garden.

That, along with fun in her pool helps her during hot days outside in our yard with me. I limit her time alone outside, although she acts like she'd lounge all day in the sun if I let her.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:15 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix, which should be a hot weather dog. And while he may have the traits for him to survive hot weather..... he is none to keen on exercise at 70% humidity and 85 degrees. He will get more playful towards sun down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs