Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 09:51 AM

19,930 posts, read 22,861,502 times

Advertisements

I like this vest in low light. It really stands out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,620,491 times
Such a pretty dog and always such a treat to see a dog out doing something with their human that they both enjoy doing. When I was a kid we would go visit friends of my Grandparents that owned a farm in Wisconsin and they had some hunting dogs and most of the men would go spend part of the day out in the fields and neighboring woods with the dogs hunting pheasants . The dogs and men would return exhausted but happy usually with that nights dinner. When I see your photos those long ago memories flood back.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Thanks. Yeah I love being outside in the field with them regardless of the success. We have great days, good days, not so good days and bad days.. But at the end of the day they are my companions and we sleep well together.

I'm getting ready to head out for a week this Thursday for plains hunting. Sharptail and pheasant. No RV this time- taking the backpacking tent, my sleeping bag and wool blankets. Supposed to be in the low teens at night, so I'm taking two dogs (It'll be two dog nights ). I'm going to go on some wilderness areas- only one access road in and you have to hike the rest- about 40 square miles or more. I suspect we'll have to go at least 5 miles away from the access road to find any grouse. Most hunters won't go that far. No cell access, no people, no noise- just expansive wild prairie grass.

I'll have to rig big Schnitzel up with his pack to mule water and some food for the Pearl and he.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,620,491 times
Sounds like a great time with the dogs. Have fun and do hope the nights are not more then 2 dog nights! Being a Calif girls I say BURRRRRR to the teens! Being away from phones and the rest of the things sounds very relaxing and peaceful. People get mad as often when I take the dogs out I will leave the phone in the car as I do not want to be bothered I just want a nice relaxing peaceful time with my dogs. ( or I will carry it but turn it off so I have it if I need it but others can not bother me)

I wish more people that did things with their dogs would see that it is the activity of having fun with your dogs that matters not if you win some prize or have a successful hunt. When I was doing agility it upset me when people got mad at the dogs for messing up thus not placing. Chaos had a very bad first run and all I could do was laugh about it as she had a great time out there and I did agility for the bonding experience and to have fun with my dogs. Other people that had such runs dragged the poor dog off really pissed off at it and that is not what dog sports should be like.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Sounds like a great time with the dogs. Have fun and do hope the nights are not more then 2 dog nights! Being a Calif girls I say BURRRRRR to the teens! Being away from phones and the rest of the things sounds very relaxing and peaceful. People get mad as often when I take the dogs out I will leave the phone in the car as I do not want to be bothered I just want a nice relaxing peaceful time with my dogs. ( or I will carry it but turn it off so I have it if I need it but others can not bother me)

I wish more people that did things with their dogs would see that it is the activity of having fun with your dogs that matters not if you win some prize or have a successful hunt. When I was doing agility it upset me when people got mad at the dogs for messing up thus not placing. Chaos had a very bad first run and all I could do was laugh about it as she had a great time out there and I did agility for the bonding experience and to have fun with my dogs. Other people that had such runs dragged the poor dog off really pissed off at it and that is not what dog sports should be like.
I hear you. All I could do is laugh when Pearl bombed her duck drag/search and instead went about chasing frogs. She would've prized had she just brought the damned duck back, lol.

Oh well, as the saying goes- every dog has its day.

A number of years ago my wife and I were at a NAVHDA test in Wisdom, MT. This guy, a breeder, ran a male dog in natural ability and he didn't do well. These are basically pups- under 18 months of age. My wife and I were hanging back by our camper and watched him walk his dog back to theirs- he kicked the animal several times, dragged it by the leash- just a real scum wad.

Fast forward last year at the test event- Pearl ran the field and pointed all those birds- 7 as I recall. Same guy got MAD AS HELL because my dog outperformed his..

Can't stand people like that. Those are the breeders that give the industry a bad name. Not to mention it was found out that he and his wife are knowingly breeding a male with a known heart defect. Two of his sired pups died unexpectedly. They have been kicked out of our chapter thank God.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:56 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,022,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Did something a little different with Pearl today. We hiked up a mountain looking for mountain grouse. She did a great job pointing out one ruffed grouse and 2 dusky's. She covered some ground today- I hiked over 8 miles, so she did twice that, up elevation and in thick, thick timber...
My GSP mix was a demon for mileage, I can see Pearl doing that!

I have to admit - those wilderness areas sound pretty fine. I used to get into stuff like that down in the SW - AZ-NM mostly. I can't do tent camping anymore - a bit harsh for me these days. My feet probably wouldn't stand up to the hiking either. I ride my bike to give the dogs a run these days. I sure do miss the fire roads we used to have out west, though - perfect for a relaxing ride with my dogs. We just don't have much in the way of gravel or dirt around here, and trail-riding is too hard. What gravel there is is crowded, and that's a no-go with my current two. I'm working on them to improve their social manners, but it is a work in progress.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
My GSP mix was a demon for mileage, I can see Pearl doing that!

I have to admit - those wilderness areas sound pretty fine. I used to get into stuff like that down in the SW - AZ-NM mostly. I can't do tent camping anymore - a bit harsh for me these days. My feet probably wouldn't stand up to the hiking either. I ride my bike to give the dogs a run these days. I sure do miss the fire roads we used to have out west, though - perfect for a relaxing ride with my dogs. We just don't have much in the way of gravel or dirt around here, and trail-riding is too hard. What gravel there is is crowded, and that's a no-go with my current two. I'm working on them to improve their social manners, but it is a work in progress.
Oh she has some wheels, lol. It’s also amazing how they can maneuver at decent speed in thick timber with deadfall, snags, brush. Incredible sense of awareness.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Little 2:30 second clip from Wednesday morning. No birds shot in video- just Schnitzel and Pearl working some CRP by some uncut wheat.. You can see Pearl really fired up and working a bird..

https://youtu.be/K2TQOj16hZQ

Old 10-18-2019, 02:23 PM

Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 PM

More fun from this long weekend..

Endless fun in 40 acres of marsh grass! Lot of birds to find. It was also -5 and quite brisk.

At one point she so much frost and snow on her snout in a stripe she looked like a badger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs