Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:30 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,713,703 times

Advertisements

My oldest dog is almost 13 years old and I've probably spent about $1,000 in vet bills. That includes health testing and breeding related appointments, rabies and such, she's had a couple dentals and a spay also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:15 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,387,864 times
We are on our 5th Yorkie....he's a rescue that we've had for a year at the age of 6 months. We have Petplan Insurance to help cover cost. Our other pups did not have insurance and over the years (17 being the oldest), we've probably dropped 25-30k combined.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times
If I knew, I’d have to kill them, lol. I guess I have been lucky that most of my dogs have not required that much ( other than usual monthly heart worm, flea prevention) until my dogs have gotten older. One was seriously injured after a run in with a buck but after surgery, bounced back quickly. But with 4 dogs, monthly costs add up. They are worth every penny.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,689 times
I think I spent more on my rabbits over the years than I ever did any of my dogs. But a lot of it is 'luck of the draw'; some animals are healthy and have no problems (or next to none) for their entire lives, while others seem to be plagued with issues.

My last dog - a cattle dog mix - only had problems that cost me $$$ during the final three months of her life after she was diagnosed with a malignant mast cell tumour. Until that point, she'd never once been ill, or suffered any injuries...healthy as a horse, as it were. The only thing she ever cost me until those final few months was for regular annual vet visits and her food. And even when she received the cancer diagnosis, the vet was absolutely amazed at her bloodwork... she told me that had she not known who the test results were for, she would have guessed that it was a dog of around 4 or 5 years old. Kaya was 15 when she had those tests done.

My current dog (an almost 7-yr-old border collie) does pretty well, but he does have an eye condition that requires prescription drops. The drops cost me around $25/month. He also has digestive issues, but the only thing I do for him there is have him on a good-quality dog food, which keeps those issues from flaring up...and even if he didn't have chronic digestive troubles, he'd still get a good-quality dog food anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.

My last rabbit, however...he had an extremely serious infection that cost me a few thousand dollars to treat over the course of a few months, and he had gut issues, which ultimately resulted in extra vet visits. He also developed arthritis in all four legs when he was a year old, which meant extra trips to the vet, pricey specialized bedding, etc. I have no idea how much I spent on him in total over the almost seven years I had him (average age for his breed, an English lop, an age that the vet never thought he'd get near), but every penny was worth it.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:34 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Just the yearly vaccine, so not that much. Currently have 12.5 and 13.0 year olds. The dog before, would be the same and lived to be almost 14 years old.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,124,457 times
I'd tell you but you wouldn't believe me. lol We've had dogs and cats for years and years but had a two year break in 2001. Over the next three or four years we found ourselves with four dogs and fostering several dogs as well. Like another poster said, most of our expenses have come near the end of their lives.

My French Bulldog easily cost us over $20,000 the last four years of his life. He had arthritis most of his life. Arthroscopic surgery on both elbows, then he broke an elbow four years ago and then again just a month after. Ugh. All that was very expensive. And we'd do it all over again. He died last July.

We also lost our Lab mix the same month and now have two Boston Terrier gals ages almost 14 and 13. The oldest has had multiple surgeries for bump/lump removal...all were cancerous but for now she's doing well. The 13 year old is good too.

All four dogs had dentals last year...that was almost $4000 right there. I'm thankful we've been able to afford caring for our pets. They are definitely worth it. I've told my husband he can't retire. lol

Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Each new addition is mandatory spay neuter at from $55-90$, rabies included.
Series of vaccinations from the Co-op and wormer ~40$ first year, flea/tick 88$/year. Yearly rabies $10.
Unless there is a sickness or injury $0.

I'd say over the past 20 years vet bills for dogs have been $2,000.00.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
I have mine on wellness plans. It covers vaccinations, office visits, teeth cleaning and a yearly checkup including blood tests, urinalysis. 37.95 per month each (I have 2 dogs).

Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 AM

28,104 posts, read 30,005,788 times
I've had Friederik for just over 4 months now, and I've spent over $3,000. I had to pay a vet bill when I rescued him because it wasn't in his "rescuer's" budget to take him in for emergency veterinary care and surgery after he got attacked by a Doberman the night before we picked him up. That came to $971. Just over this past holiday weekend, I spent over $2,000 at an emergency, specialty vet to find out that he had Addison's Disease and to keep him from going into an Addisonian Crisis. Then here have been other smaller vet bills, totally probably $200 or $300. I'm now looking at probably close to $100 a month in medications for him for the rest of his life (he's now 3 to 4 years old).

Old 01-04-2018, 02:42 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,182,728 times
My Alaskan Malamute/Timberwolf cross had zero health issues during the 12 years of his life. My 12 year old, East German working line GSD, suffered a bout of "bloat" at the age of 4 that required emergency surgery. That set me back nearly 5k. Other than that, she has been excellent with no out of the ordinary costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs