Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,362,833 times

Advertisements

I would want to carry a gun too. Many years ago pioneers used to have to carry guns to protect themselves from wild animals. Now sometimes we are not even allowed to protect ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 AM

573 posts, read 1,691,309 times
Oh sheeeetttt....this is a sad story, with a sadder ending. I'm glad the poor lady and her pup are ok, but I feel horrible for the dog too.....I have a larger dog that has been known to be a little unpredictable with really small dogs, and I always make sure she's on a leash or secure if I take her out back. What a shame to have a dog's life wasted because of an owner that didn't properly secure their dog. I know these things happen, but it's sad......

Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,479,750 times
A dog who attacks a person is akin to attempted murder for humans. They'd lock a human up for years, if the dog wasn't killed it should've been put to sleep.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
You're late John... I posted this story yesterday. You're not the only person that reads the news.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...owa-woman.html

Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
He would accomplished the same thing if he would have contacted authorities. They would have put the dog down, and he could have sued the owner of the dog. But by taking matters into his own hands, he sort of screwed that up.
True. He never gave the authorities a chance to do their job. I do sympathetic with what happened to his son though. And reconstructive surgery is so expensive, painful and can't make his face and body perfect again. I think that's most of the reason why everyone wants to make sure that the public is as safe as possible from dog attacks.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,462,648 times
I think pepperspray is a good thing to carry, too. Does anyone know where I can order some?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 AM

200 posts, read 980,111 times
Quote:
I think pepperspray is a good thing to carry, too. Does anyone know where I can order some?
Police Magnum OC Spray

I ordered some for my girlfriend from this site...these are a lot more concentrated than others that are water based(look for Police pepper spray, they are a lot more potent than civilian ones), make sure you check it often, it can be shot rather easily, we had to take a friend to the ER after he accidentally shot it and step into the air...

Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Call up a sporting goods store, I think that some of them carry pepper spray, or they'd know who would. With pepper spray, just make sure you are aware of which direction the wind is blowing. You don't want that stuff blowing back into your own eyes.

I kind of feel that a good alternative would be to carry around a baggie of cayenne pepper powder. Should someone or a dog threaten you, stick your fingers in the baggie and get that stuff into their eyes. I think this strategy would work best with a human attacker. With an angry dog, it's best to stay away from its head and jaws with sharp teeth.

I guess this thread is turning into thoughts about how best to defend or exit a situation with an attacking dog.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,460,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. He never gave the authorities a chance to do their job. I do sympathetic with what happened to his son though. And reconstructive surgery is so expensive, painful and can't make his face and body perfect again. I think that's most of the reason why everyone wants to make sure that the public is as safe as possible from dog attacks.
i disagree. i think that the deaths are the majority of the catalyst. either way though, disfigurement is certainly no walk through the park either, for the victim or the family.
Quote:
there are a couple of things that you should take into consideration when using pepper spray.

first of all, whether you are upwind or downwind of the target, you need to expect to feel the effects yourself. you will almost always get it in your own eyes when you spray it; pretty much guaranteed.

so don't be shocked when it happens.

second, pepper spray is not a universal deterrent. there are many humans even that can withstand pepper spray without serious problem. in law enforcement and military training, you get shot with military grade pepper spray and then have to run a gauntlet, using hand to hand and weapons tactics in order to control the situation even when you are blind.

some dogs will run away out of fright when sprayed. but some of them won't even be phased by it, and some of those that are, will still attack anyway.

aaron out.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i disagree. i think that the deaths are the majority of the catalyst. either way though, disfigurement is certainly no walk through the park either, for the victim or the family.
The reason I feel this way is because it's a very remote chance that I could be KILLED by an attacking dog, but it's likely that in my lifetime, I could be a surviving victim of a dog attack. So I DON"T think that an angry agitated dog like a rottie, pit bull or the ilk could KILL me, but I could be mauled pretty badly by them. A small dog or a young child or baby could be killed by any dog, but I'm more concerned over adults like ME. And I know that my 6'5" boyfriend feels the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs