Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,772 posts, read 40,235,459 times

Advertisements

A woman walking her miniature pinscher tried to save an elderly woman from being attacked by a 90 lb American bulldog. She also had to shield her tiny dog from the attacking dog. Then a good samaritan passing by in a truck stopped and used his pocket knife to kill the dog. Wow. The American bulldog was properly licensed and had never gotten loose before, but its body is being tested for rabies.

Passer-by kills dog as it attacks Iowa woman, 77 - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/02/02/passer_by_kills_dog_as_it_attacks_iowa_woman_77/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Latest+news - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,472,949 times
Thank god that women and her little dog did not get hurt!

Thanks to that good samaritan.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM

It's lucky that she was wearing a leather jacket which protected them both. A coat made out of a lighter material would have shredded, like my down jacket... hmmm. A hooded leather coat would be even more protective. Anyway good food for thought. I don't know if I could kill a dog with a pocket knife though.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't know if I could kill a dog with a pocket knife though.
Do you even carry a pocket knife? If I was trying to protect someone or my animal, no telling what I would do. I think I'll go out and buy a hunting knife.

W

Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,563,006 times
i love this thread rep for everybody. nobody is whining about the dog. they seem genuinely concerned about the old lady.
thank you.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Do you even carry a pocket knife? If I was trying to protect someone or my animal, no telling what I would do. I think I'll go out and buy a hunting knife.

W
If I could be anyone, I'd love to be Ziva on NCIS. She could kill a man with her pinky and she's very handy with her knife.

I used to carry around a small Swiss Army knife, but it was tiny and with scissors. I think they called it the Classic. I just don't know if I have it in me to slice its jugular. I think that I'd be more into stabbing the attacking dog in the haunch to stop the attack and make it retreat. I think that I need to take that class in self-defense. The one where the students practice defending themselves against a well padded man. They say that oftentimes, victims freeze during the first attack, as if in denial. This class helps break down any inclination towards hesitation.

Another thing I should add to my walking equipment is having a good loud whistle to signal for attention. But I don't want to go overboard with adding pepper spray and knives. I don't want to be a walking arsenal. I refuse to live pessimistically and in fear.

Last edited by miu; 02-02-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,576,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i love this thread rep for everybody. nobody is whining about the dog. they seem genuinely concerned about the old lady.
thank you.
You won't hear ME 'whining about dogs'. A number of years ago, we had a case here in Southern Cal., of a little boy in a stroller, attacked by a pit bull who got out of his yard. The little boy was severely disfigured, and probably faces a number of plastic surgeries as he grows up, and undoubtedly will never quite 'look right'.

The father shot the dog, and got in all KINDS of trouble...hate mail, death threats, and serious legal charges...unfortunately, he'd gone home, gotten his gun, came back, and shot the dog in "revenge" an hour AFTER the attack.

I personally didn't blame the father ONE BIT....but this IS California, and he DID act in revenge, not 'during' the incident. Don't remember what happened to the case.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You won't hear ME 'whining about dogs'. A number of years ago, we had a case here in Southern Cal., of a little boy in a stroller, attacked by a pit bull who got out of his yard. The little boy was severely disfigured, and probably faces a number of plastic surgeries as he grows up, and undoubtedly will never quite 'look right'.

The father shot the dog, and got in all KINDS of trouble...hate mail, death threats, and serious legal charges...unfortunately, he'd gone home, gotten his gun, came back, and shot the dog in "revenge" an hour AFTER the attack.

I personally didn't blame the father ONE BIT....but this IS California, and he DID act in revenge, not 'during' the incident. Don't remember what happened to the case.
He would accomplished the same thing if he would have contacted authorities. They would have put the dog down, and he could have sued the owner of the dog. But by taking matters into his own hands, he sort of screwed that up.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,680,070 times
Post News, Passer-by kills dog as it attacks woman.

Good Samaritan stabs bulldog to death with pocketknife.

DES MOINES, Iowa - A good Samaritan armed only with a pocketknife stabbed a dog to death as it was attacking a 77-year-old woman in her front yard, officials said.

Passer-by kills dog as it attacks woman - Life- msnbc.com

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,181,051 times
You just never know when a loose dog might be in the vincinity and you become its target.
Three weeks ago I took my dog out on a leash just before her bed time. A Husky breed looking dog (the white, blue, looking eyes) came out of no where acting like it was in full attack mode. Its teeth were bared, hair up on its back, the whole thing.
It came snarling at my dog and I didn't have anything to defend myself or my dog with. There was snow on the ground so I started kicking snow in its face and started backing up toward my door pulling my dog backward all the while. I was in my yard. When I got to the door it finaly backed off. My dog probably could have handled the other one. She is Lab/rotty mix and believe me she wanted to go after that dog but I didn't know how it would turn out if she got tangled up in her leash and I didn't want her to get hurt anyway.
Now when we go out I take my pistol with me. I don't want to hurt anyone's dog but if I am faced with one like that again, there will be a dead dog. I had never seen it before and haven't since. Hopefully I won't see it again.
I'm glad the lady and her dog are ok. Thank goodness there was someone close by to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs