Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The reason I feel this way is because it's a very remote chance that I could be KILLED by an attacking dog, but it's likely that in my lifetime, I could be a surviving victim of a dog attack. So I DON"T think that an angry agitated dog like a rottie, pit bull or the ilk could KILL me, but I could be mauled pretty badly by them. A small dog or a young child or baby could be killed by any dog, but I'm more concerned over adults like ME. And I know that my 6'5" boyfriend feels the same way.
i certainly won't proclaim that my opinion here is what really drives public sentiment. but i would suspect that it has more to do with lethal dog attacks.

you do have a good chance of being bitten by a dog in life; i've been bitten so many times i can't count (maybe i'll have to post some stories), but i think that we have a very small chance of being seriously bitten.

'seriously bitten' is a subjective term though, and i am not sure what everyone else considers a serious bite. i would consider a serious bite to be any that require stitches or greater forms of medical attention.

i've seen stats that say that serious dog attacks aren't actually that common, considering the numbers of people and dogs in the states. i'll see if i can find them again.

either way, i think that dog attacks are very serious, but i think that as a nation, our responses to dog attacks are fear-based rather than logic or fact-based.

now i'm going off on a tangent, so i'll stop. what it comes down to though, is that i think the media forgets about nonlethal attacks fairly soon; they don't rate as high or cause as much horror. but we remember the lethal ones. so i think that public policy regarding dogs is affected more by those stories than by the nonlethal ones. my opinion, nothing more.

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Alright, I guess that I was trying to point out that I don't have some sort of senseless fear that a large dog might attack and kill me. I'm a sturdy person that isn't prone to panic attacks. But.. I do think that it far more probable that I could be in a situation of someone else's medium to large sized dog attacking me or one of my dogs during a walk outside the safety of my yard. While I don't think I would try to kill the attacking dog, I would definitely want to protect my dog(s) and myself from being attacked. And I would protect my dogs even if it meant my trying to block the attack with my body. So I'm saying no to potential dog attacks, not just no to potential killer dogs.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
Police Magnum OC Spray

I ordered some for my girlfriend from this site...these are a lot more concentrated than others that are water based(look for Police pepper spray, they are a lot more potent than civilian ones), make sure you check it often, it can be shot rather easily, we had to take a friend to the ER after he accidentally shot it and step into the air...

Just FYI on the spray; this is the exact brand that I carry. It was issued to us at the sheriff's office when I worked there. Same exact brand carried on the street by deputies, so it's not weak stuff.

As to the story, I'm glad they saved the old lady and her dog. I'm sorry about what happened to the dog, but there was no other option and it had to be done. Lack of training I'm guessing. Too bad the dog has to suffer because an owner either couldn't be bothered to train it or to confine it.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Too bad the dog has to suffer because an owner either couldn't be bothered to train it or to confine it.
It sounds like the dog escaped by accident and it also had no prior documented history of aggression. Many times, a dog's owner has no idea of their dog's dark side until certain circumstances cause their dog to act badly. It is a tragedy for that dog though.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:39 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It sounds like the dog escaped by accident and it also had no prior documented history of aggression. Many times, a dog's owner has no idea of their dog's dark side until certain circumstances cause their dog to act badly. It is a tragedy for that dog though.
Their are certain dogs that some people should not have.

My housemate cannot discipline a dog to save her life. She turns them into little monsters... The dog jumps up on her leg while she's eating and she says, "No!, No! No!" This goes on and on and the dog is still on her leg. Perfect example of how to teach a dog that no means nothing.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
Glad the lady is OK, I am sure even an attack from any small dog could hurt her in her frail state at the age of 77. If the dog needed to be stabbed it needed to be stabbed. No dogs life is worth more than a persons especially an elderly person or a kid. As I have been chastised and on occasions repd for my stories of me being attacked by two different dogs and carrying my guns for protection.
I know my dog is a great dog. He does run up barking to people and being what people are most people see it as bad aggression. IF he gets out and somebody thinks theyre being attacked and he gets killed it is my fault and my fault only.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Glad the lady is OK, I am sure even an attack from any small dog could hurt her in her frail state at the age of 77. If the dog needed to be stabbed it needed to be stabbed.
True about a small animal being able to knock over a frail woman of 77, however if it had been a small dog, then either of those two passersby could have grabbed the dog by the mid section and hauled it off the old lady. They could have saved the lady and not had to kill the dog... if it had been a small dog. I'm basing this opinion on all the dogs I've ever owned. A pug, mini schnauzer and several terrier mixes. It also helps if the attacking dog is wearing a collar, as that would help with getting a grip on it. Then there is also the wheel barrow method of grabbing the attacking dog's hind legs and dragging it backwards from its victim. That's really the best way to deal with a medium to large sized dog in a situation like this. As one is grabbing the angry dog at the opposite end of its sharp teeth and jaws.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,758 times
How barbaric.....

Thought I read in that article where the dog only KNOCKED her down to go after her dog, which meant that she wasn't being mauled to death.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 PM

The story is very confusing. Let's see. The bulldog, knocks the 77 year old lady and then goes after her little dog. The lady then is shielding her little dog, maybe within her leather coat. The dog is still going after the little dog, but since the little dog is being shielded by the old lady... the guy that stops to help only sees the bulldog attacking the woman because she's got her little dog inside her coat. The guys struggles to pull off the 90 lb bulldog. He's unable to do so quickly and is getting tired of the struggle, so he pulls out his pocketknife and kills the dog.

Could the bulldog have mauled the woman to death? Maybe yes, maybe no. I would say that most dog owners would do anything to protect their dogs, like Woofers and me. And if this old lady had her little dog inside her leather jacket and was stubborn enough to not let go of her dog... and if that man didn't come to help sooner, she could have sustained some pretty nasty bites to her hands or any other skin area not covered by her leather jacket. And maybe she could have bled to death or had a heart attack. That lady was 77 years old and was frail enough to be knocked over by a 90 lb dog.

Even if that old lady wasn't in danger of dying, that man did the right thing by killing that dog, since he wasn't able to pull that bulldog off the lady quickly. Tha man probably didn't even know that there was that tiny dog hidden in her coat, or that the bulldog was only focused on getting the little dog and not the lady. But the point is, that 90 lb dog was clearly out of control and the two humans present couldn't stop the bulldog's attack. I do think this story could use more details about the attack.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
How barbaric.....

Thought I read in that article where the dog only KNOCKED her down to go after her dog, which meant that she wasn't being mauled to death.
Also, this goes along with my earlier comment. No one should be in a situation of being attacked by an out of control dog. A large dog is harder to get under control than a small dog. And all attacks, even non-lethal ones have to be prevented. Just because a human's or another animal's life is not in danger of dying from the attack, even just a mauling should be taken seriously. Even if this old lady didn't suffer open wounds from being bitten or scratched from the bulldog, she's sure to have a few nightmares afterwards or PTSD. I'm sure her little dog is pretty freaked out also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs