Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,351,290 times

Advertisements

Someone repped me on something I posted back on this thread - I haven't looked it up because I can't bear to. I just wanted to update that my beagle, almost 16, died on the 23rd. She is the first dog I ever had to euthanize. It went from tolerable to bad very fast - even morphine did not help.

I know I did the right thing but I am heartbroken anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,329,482 times
Bless you all.

I am facing the same thing with my 16.5 year old weimaraner. He is old and has arthritis and he is fading. Yet he doesn't want to go. and makes that clear, so hopefully he goes softly at home. Has no disease or organ failure at this point. Until he tells me, is in pain, or if he gets a disease or organ failure, we will stick it out together.

His sister littermate had cancer at 7 years old and when it got bad she looked at me and told me to let her go. That was so so hard but we did that together. As we will do with my buddy.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,451,198 times
Netwit, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Theoldnorthstate, I'm sorry too. I hope whenever it is , that he'll go peacefully.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
I met someone who will come into your home to euthanize your pet in their home with their masters. It is done with caring feelings. BTW, this was in Carlsbad, CA

Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,405,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Bless you all.

I am facing the same thing with my 16.5 year old weimaraner. He is old and has arthritis and he is fading. Yet he doesn't want to go. and makes that clear, so hopefully he goes softly at home. Has no disease or organ failure at this point. Until he tells me, is in pain, or if he gets a disease or organ failure, we will stick it out together.

His sister littermate had cancer at 7 years old and when it got bad she looked at me and told me to let her go. That was so so hard but we did that together. As we will do with my buddy.
So sorry for what you are going through. But I agree, they tell you when they are ready and the last gift you can give them is to listen.

I knew in my heart when my cat was ready to go. It was tough, but he was ready.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
May I ask how you deal with your pet after they die? Thinking ahead I think I'd prefer to have my "Weiner dog" cremated and have the urn at home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
May I ask how you deal with your pet after they die? Thinking ahead I think I'd prefer to have my "Weiner dog" cremated and have the urn at home.

That's what I did. I am sentimental and was not able to bear the idea of not having William at home. He was cremated and he is in a beautiful cedar chest along with a photo of him, his last collar and a paw print.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,351,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

All my pets are buried at home (I live on a farm, so I have the space).

Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 PM

53 posts, read 81,527 times
This is never an easy subject. Especially for those of us who really consider our companions as part of the family. Our family has spent many thousand dollars to fix our husky/lab's two broken legs (different leg each time). We have relatives who are appalled. They cannot believe we spent so much money on a dog.

When my Irish Setter was 11.5 years old, she was almost deaf, mostly blind, and had some liver problems. One day we were out and about in the van. Before driving the couple hours back to the house, we lifted her out of the van (had been lifting her in and out for at least a year) and she couldn't stand up. Her back legs just completely gave out. We drove home and at first, she was walking okay and I felt a tiny sliver of hope. Within 2 minutes, she couldn't stand again. She had been a little depressed for a while, we could tell. After that, we knew it was time. She was in pain and you could see from the look in her eyes how miserable she was.

She was cremated and we put her into a double urn (gorgeous wooden box with plaque) next to her daughter.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
All my pets are buried at home (I live on a farm, so I have the space).
There are a number of pets buried on my parent's property. I am in an apartment, so I am not able to bury my pets. But I do miss that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs