Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,740 times

Advertisements

I lost my boy of 7 years not more than a day or so ago. I'm still coming to terms and acceptance of his death. He died naturally on the way to receive help. I'm sure he was in pain but he made no noise and a gave me one last hug before leaving.

I would prefer they tell me when its time and go naturally. Unfortunate life doesn't work that way for excruciating pain I would ease their suffering through euthanasia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,857 times
My little Minnie has a sever bladder infection and previously she had bladder surgery to remove her stones. I love her very much. She has been a faithful and loving companion. Now, I must determine when it is correct to let her go and relieve her from pain. I have her next to me know. I have to give her pain meds and force feed her. I wait to hear from the vet whether we can pinpoint a bacteria to treat. In the meantime, she also has cancer cells. I will not let her go on like this, but she doesn't seem quiet ready to go. I will have her next to me until I believe it is her choice. She is so not herself. I wish there was an easy way. Also, Minnie has a companion, Mick, who is 2 years older than her. He is 15. They have gone every where with me and been my loyal friends and companions. Should I put Mick down when I put Minnie down, if it comes to this? He has severe arthritis and can hardly walk. I will be totally alone, since I have been desterted by my husband and my chidren are on their own and married. Life is hard, but, I will likely let them go together. I would like to hear from others in the same situation. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,249,798 times
Best wishes to you, Minnie and Mick.

It's tough to lose a loving companion. Katie was a my daughter's Yorkie that she asked me to care for during her last year in college. When I lost my wife that year, DD got another dog upon graduation, then said Katie and the new dog didn't get along. I think she just thought I needed the companionship. (My wife died suddenly a week before my daughter's graduation.)

A few years later Katie was diagnosed with cancer, had surgery, and I was told she might live another year. She did well for the next eight years and had become known as "our miracle dog" at the vet's office. By "well" I mean considering the cancer. By age 17 she suffered many age related illnesses, but she still seemed like the same loving companion that she'd always been, even though she couldn't see beyond her nose and I had to carry her up and down the stairs each night and morning. Then her kidneys started failing, she quit eating, and all she wanted to do was sleep.

I took it so far as to give her IVs daily, but inserting the IV was painful so I quit. She went downhill fast on a Saturday evening. The vet office was closed, so I sat with her on my lap all day and all night Sunday, waiting for the vet to open at 8 so I could have her put to sleep. At about 7:30 she lapsed into (what I'll call) a coma. I still took her in and had her put down, but by then it was just a matter of time before her pulse would have stopped.

Putting her through those last days is still one of my biggest regrets. She didn't complain, but there was no need for it. I knew her quality of life was behind her, but I just couldn't let go.

A few years later our beloved cat, Frack, couldn't eat. He was 18, IIRC. He was the coolest, most loving cat I've ever known. My late wife and I raised him with an eye-dropper from a very early age after his mother was killed during his first week. I loved Frack like he was my own child, but after experiencing Katie's last days a few years earlier, I couldn't let him suffer like that. Instead, I took him in on a Friday afternoon and helped him go. It was hard, but I know it was the right thing to do.

Minnie won't tell you when it's time; you have to decide that yourself with the help of your vet. If Mick can't walk without pain, it might be more humane to let them both go at the same time. Remember, YOU are the one who will suffer from their deaths. They'll just be in a deep and everlasting sleep. Take care of yourself, and maybe discuss this with a friend or loved one who would understand.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,284,003 times
We have a 14 year old Doxie, Sammy, and quite honestly I don't know what I'll do when the time comes for him to go. His morning licks are my alarm clock - his rolling on his back so I can scratch his tummy makes my day.

But so far, I don't have to worry about it. I hope it will be that way for a very long, long time.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,822 times
Someone here mentioned they would but could not afford euthanasia. The pound usually does it for free but you have to give up your ownership & rights. Who knows how your loving family member gets handled after that though. Not certain if you're allowed to accompany your baby til the end. Anyone know? It would comfort those who can't afford but want to be there for their beloved.
I can afford it, and my 17 year old Heidi went in my arms at the vets while I told her everything she's heard in our loving care. Heidi was loved, as much as your babies til the end, but I've been crushed all these years by the experience. My very young daughters at the time, said I killed Heidi. It's hurt me so much as the experience was heartbreaking and was never forgiven. How do I feel now, as my almost 17 year old golden retriever, ANGEL, time is near and they say she's happy but bored, etc. ANGEL's like a sister to them and... Said enough. I can't make this decision as they're adults. Angel's so much attention from them and I hope she passes away in her sleep. I love my darling Angel and the all breaks my heart. This isn't my decision alone. It's the family's.

Last edited by paradox4; 08-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Cut-off before finished.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,640 times
I'd love for my dogs to peacefully die in their sleep vice having to make the decision to euthanize. Obviously a dog will eventually die a natural death. However, it may not be pretty and it may very well be painful for your pet and traumatic for the owner.

We have a 15-yr old dog that is not doing well. We know the decision is not far off. The balance, for us, is to determine when the time is right. I'd prefer to err on the side of making the decision too early versus too late. One of our major concerns is that something will happen (falling down the stairs) and his injuries will be such that we will need to put him down. But I don't want the decision to be based upon a traumatic event. I'd like to control the entire situation, if at all possible.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 AM

566 posts, read 1,108,274 times
My yorkie is getting worse. His episodes are frequent, lasting longer and have become stronger/louder. I can't stand to see him struggling for air. Oh GOD, it is terrible. While having this attack, he still follows me around, whining--looking almost desperate but nothing comforts. I have an emergency call into the vet for either strong calming meds for him - or an evaluation to determine if I am only prolonging his agony.

This sucks. For I believe if I just get the right combo of meds, watch his weight, etc etc etc all will be fine. But it won't be. The gasping for air is even at night while he sleeps. He cannot even get into the car for a "fun" ride without it turning into a life threatening event!! I can hear the air barely getting thru and it causes me so much anxiety for I feel unable to help make it better for him.

He is quiet now. But he has moments when he gets up and paces frantically.

I just want him NOT to suffer. He deserves better than that, but I just don't know.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,419,764 times
I sense a need for a far more organized hospice process for pets. We have it for humans, why not? The biggest stumbling block appears to be vets. Not very many of them can deal with that gray area between heroic measures and euthanasia that is occupied by palliative care and a gentle transition to end of life.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 11,159 times
My dog died naturally at home recently. I am still grieving; it feels as though I'll never get over it.

At about 14 yrs she was having liver trouble but we decided not to have tests or medication since she was outwardly healthy, and active. At her age a life of medications and unpalatable food was not a life we wanted for her. This lasted about 1 year, then she became more lethargic with signs of dementia for a year. Still, she played, ate, pooed and everything just fine. Then one day she just collapsed, and died 4 days later. We didn't take her to a vet at all. We could see the end was near. She refused food and water from the day of the collapse. We did everything we could to help her through the dying process: massage, soothing music, essential oils, petting and singing, carrying her frequently outdoors, offering water & sponging her mouth, cleaning and repositioning her... We were with her 24 hours a day.

By day 3 of the decline I think she did suffer somewhat, though by then she was "out of it" from dehydration and couldn't stand. She couldn't get breath, like a prior poster said. A few times her panting became severe and we gave her occasional chest compressions to clear her airway as much as possible. She had a final vomiting episode (we held her upright, head down for this) and then as we laid her down again she died from suffocation from the phlegm and the vomit. We massaged her up to 10 minutes after her heart stopped.

From what I've read now about hospice and "natural death," this was all a perfectly normal death for her age and condition.

We didn't euthanize because we just couldn't do it. If she had been injured or poisoned or something, I don't know if my feelings would be different. As it was, I didn't see anything unnatural about what was happening. This isn't to say that it was easy or peaceful. It wasn't. It's death, plain and simple, the organism can't maintain itself. I don't think death is "peaceful" in most cases, even if looks peaceful on the outside. A dog that dies in its sleep could have slowly asphyxiated like my dog did, or even thrashed - no one knows if it was peaceful just because the dog has died in its bed overnight.

I found in dealing with my grief this past week that there are only 2 options people seems willing to entertain regarding pet death: euthanize or the peaceful natural option. However, I think that people can be better prepared (as the poster above stated) to address pet death and hospice realistically and it will help them give better care and focus on the pet during its dying rather than feeling overwhelmed and making important decisions during this time. If I had known that dying in hospice was going to involve lung congestion, dehydration, and disorientation, I wouldn't have been so upset when it happened. I just thought she would fall asleep and stop breathing without some kind of "cause" such as lung congestion.

In case someone else feels that there is no "middle ground" between medical intervention and "wait and see" - especially if, like us, the idea of taking a life, your pet's life, is deeply repugnant. In general I would think that people may criticize the choice we made as "inhumane," but we felt that respecting death and keeping up our collective courage (including that of the dog) during the dying process was the most humane option.

I still feel that the decision we made was the right one for us. I miss my dog. I wish she hadn't suffered at all during her last days. But she was dying and there was only one outcome. I'm extremely grateful for the many hours I held her and helped her, even though we had spent years together. She died with dignity, free from tubes and pills. Up to the day before she died she "asked" to go out; she turned her head away when she didn't want something or toward us to look at us; her will and independence were respected to the end.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 AM

857 posts, read 2,218,506 times
I suppose you did what you felt was right and I will not put blame on someone who has loved and lost a dog.
Yet for myself this wouldn't be my choice I have old dogs, one 14+ and while I wouldn't put her thru chemo or any arduous medical procedures I still give her good Vet care, including blood work and pain control.
I know I wouldn't like to suffer at the end of my days and neither will any of my dogs.

Sorry for your loss.
None of the above is to judge you but as said it wouldn't be my plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs