Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 12,426,452 times

Advertisements

Our dogs that have gone are in lovely wood boxes in a display cabinet in our family room. When both DH and I are also gone, we have left instructions that all of our ashes are to be spread together at the same time in the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,826,075 times
I had to put my last dog down at 3am by myself. It was absolutely the right thing to do for my baby. The end result would have been the same so why allow prolonged suffering when it's so quickly ended. We are unfortunately kinder to our animals then we are to humans in the same situation.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 AM

425 posts, read 1,106,419 times
Default I am glad we aren't the only ones

Thank you for all your stories
We have had to put 2 of our dogs down, both had congestive heart failure,the first one worse than the second.
since I posted yesterday morning, Yukon has taken a turn for the worse, I dont want to see him like this but my husband isnt ready to give up yet. Yukon was up vomiting early this morning, and all he is doing is sleeping, hasnt eaten in 24 hrs and still will drink a bit of water and go outside to pee , and poop. but it is time We will take this an hr at a time, luckly I have today off from work, I have to take one of our dogs to the groomers,stop at walmart and mow the lawn, but will be home with Yukon for the day otherwise. and spend all the time I can with him, the poor baby is lying on our bed with wee wee pads underneath him so that if he does vomit it doesnt go all over..
my prayers to all that have been through this and who will go through it like us

Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
Such hard decisions.

With my dogs growing up, it became a quality of life issue. I have had dogs that died peacefully at home, and others where they were in obvious pain and the dying process was going to take too long to humanely let unfold. I also grew up rurally, where it was commonplace for vets to make farm calls, so the most of the dogs that were euthanized were euthanized at home. We had the space to bury pets, so we did that in all but one case, when a dog had to be euthanized when the ground was frozen.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 AM

Default cremate

we buried our first one, cremated the second one, and Yukon will be cremated, I will be cremated and when Homer goes I want him cremated, I want Homer's ashes and mine together eventually~ Yukon and Barney will be buried with my husband, he does not want to be cremated..
I sit here at the computer, with Yukon on my bed, with a blanket wrapped around him so he is comfy..

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
One of the hardest things I ever, ever had to do was put my dog to sleep myself. She was 16, she was epliptic and I believe she'd had a stroke and loss the use of her hind legs her and there or would lose her balance and fall over. Then, it just subsided, but only for a week or so and it happened again. Then I woke up and she had her head stretched out and was swinging it around in circles and honking like a goose. It was a 3 day weekend and I tried to keep her, but after reading her symptoms and the epileptic issues - she'd already hit brain damage.

I tried to comfort her with valium which is the same drug they basically give to epileptic dogs which is phenabarbatal. It would help for maybe a half hour to an hour. I finally made the decision to go ahead and do it myself and gave her two prescription sedatives and 2 valium and fell alseep next to her and when I woke up she was gone.

While my methods seem unconventional is boiled down to doing it myself or having her die on a cold hard metal table at the vet. I felt she had just layed on my lap and never move if I was sad for an hour or for days. She had given me 16 good years and I was so grateful to have had her in my life. I felt it was the least I could do is have her die painlessly in my arms.

Every situation dictates a different scenerio when it comes to these things.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 AM

Default Yukon is at peace

at 5:45 last night we put our baby to sleep, it is never ever easy.My husband is just beside himself and didnt sleep much last night.The whole house feels naked even though we still have 2 doggies here.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,457,496 times
Grandmallie, I know exactly what you mean. I'm so very sorry.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,624,765 times
So very sorry for your loss, Grandmallie :-(

Old 06-01-2012, 07:43 PM

819 posts, read 3,212,183 times
oh geez, this thread is making me cry.
My dog growing up, Chris, was an awesome dog. I had her until she was 12. Then she just disappeared. People told me that she knew it was her time, so she ran off to die so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm not sure that was entirely true. I think my family just didn't want to tell me that they took her to be put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs