Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,057,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My old beagle Cleo, who has seniority, sleeps under the covers next to me by the wall when its cold. Its understood that that is HER space. When its really cold she plasters herself next to me. When its warm she sleeps where the fan blowing across the bed hits her nice and comfy. With the addition of Pammy, the new beagle, Cleo still sleeps there. Seniority has its priviledge.

Before Pammy the cat slept on me, usually my feet or knees. She'd slide down where she kept the covers from leaking air. She and Pammy are working it out sortof so they don't stay in the bedroom at the same time usually. Or she sits on the dresser and watches out the window.

Pammy got invited up on the bed a short while ago. She is about 16 inches high but dang those back legs have springs in them. She jumped OVER a pillow without touching it. She likes to plaster herself next to me. Its been kinda warm for that, but she looks so happy and contented I have been letting her. She also sprawls. Lays on the side and spreads it so she takes up the maximum space.

When she leaves the cat resumes her space. She also sleeps on the side of the bed where the fan hits her and keeps her cool. And she can hiss at the dog should pammy come to visit. MY BED, MY MOM!

I can't sleep without one of them being there. And when I forgot Baby Bear, my little teddy bear, on a trip it was really hard with none of my usual bed companions.
I bet you wont let this dog sleep with ya lol.

YouTube - Sleep Running Dog

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:11 AM

198 posts, read 388,339 times
My German Shepherd sleeps on a doggie mat on the floor next to my bed.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 AM

158 posts, read 493,849 times
Well Baker always sleep on our bed.. we were too too soft when we got her when she was a puppy and from day one she has always slept on the bed..

But its very nice! She keeps an eye on us wilst we sleep and she loves a cuddle when its cold!
I dont mind her sleeping on the bed shes our lil baby!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,561,856 times
Animal behaviorist Tamar Geller advises that while dogs are pack animals that need the close sleeping quarters, it is never a good idea to let a dog with aggressive tendencies to sleep in your bed. In its doggy mind, it means it is on an equal footing with you, and will be its invitation to attempt to dominate by aggression.

We specifically avoided any of the dominant/aggressive breeds when selecting our dogs, but still did NOT let them ON the bed. When we were in our home, they slept in their beds under our bedside tables. (And yes, I did have to use the "Night, Night" command during some midnight lickfests.) Now, in our RV, our surviving female sleeps in her bed in the living area, because the bedroom is too small. She is fine with the change, except during thunderstorms.

Given your other post about the recent aggression Hobb's has demonstrated, I wonder if -- through ignorance, not intention, you may have been letting him THINK he has a higher status in the family hierarchy than is healthy for a dog. Perhaps some professional advice is in order?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Our collie asks and waits for permission to come up on the bed...I'm not worried about her thinking she's dominant. She's responsive, respectful, and obedient. And she also gets off with one command. It's clear that what she wants is to snuggle.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,049,850 times
Two mastiffs here.
One sleeps in his (unlatched) crate next to my husband's side of the bed, and the other in his (latched, he's a puppy) crate next to my side.
They do sometimes dream and make noise, but after all these years of dogs sharing our bedroom, I'm pretty accustomed to it.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 PM

133 posts, read 534,830 times
Our 2 GSDs sleep in bed with us. The male is 130 lbs and the female is 60 lbs. I like to remind my husband that he once said, many years ago, that he would never let a dog up on his bed. That went out the window....its a tight fit, but we wouldnt want it any other way

Old 06-29-2009, 03:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,068,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
Our 2 GSDs sleep in bed with us. The male is 130 lbs and the female is 60 lbs. I like to remind my husband that he once said, many years ago, that he would never let a dog up on his bed. That went out the window....its a tight fit, but we wouldnt want it any other way
I love this! I can't convince my husband to let our 35-pound Artie into our bed. Or on the couch, for that matter.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,049,564 times
i'm heading out to the airport in a few minutes to go visit a friend in british columbia.... so last night, bailey slept at my friend megan's ..... i miss her already........

Old 06-30-2009, 12:11 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,652,666 times
I try to get mine to sleep in his dog bed next to my bed. He gets scared pretty easily and often jumps into my bed. I'm usually too tired to push him off and luckily he doesn't take up a lot of room. But I really need to get him to sleep in his own bed so if anyone has any advice on how to train him to stay there, I'd really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs