Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

One of mine does.. if I am fussing about something the dogs did she comes out and will growl and swat one of them. Most of the dogs ignore her but Skeeter will growl back.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Kudos to you, SuninHair, for talking to someone and trying to work it out. I have had dogs and cats together for about 40 yrs. Some cats were the alpha animal, many loved their dogs, one spent days in the dog crate with them. The current alpha is a female dog who puts my younger APBT in his place when he gets on her last nerve! Too funny to watch!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 PM

459 posts, read 804,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Thank you, wild_spirited_elz! There are a few folks here who need this reminder!! We're not here looking for chastisement---we're looking for help, suggestions, ideas, shared experiences!
Hobbs is neutered, but only recently during the adoption process. Had a very interesting and enlightening phone conversation with a dog trainer. He said that if Hobb's tail was straight out when he lunged at the kitten, it meant he was in play mode, albeit, rough-dog type play. It seems the big issue with Hobbs is establishing a clear pack order--in HIS mind, and that I'm the alpha. The trainer said Hobbs does not perceive my husband as above him the pack order or he wouldn't have bitten him. It all makes sense to me but it is a real challenge teaching Hobbs he's at the bottom of this pack! Right now I'm wondering if the adult cat isn't the alpha

A good way to improve your alpha role is to eat before your dog. The pack leader always eat's first. Another way is to always walk into your house first before your dog comes in. The major key to being the pack leader is to take your dog for at least a 45 minute walk a day, and dominate the walk by making Hobbs walk next to you. It's ok to let him sniff trees and bushes but only if you say it's ok. A great formula is from Cesar who says Exercise, Dicipline, then Affection. A great tool for a walk is a doggy backpack. You fill the backpack with stuff to make it heavy and it fits around the dog and makes them feel like they have a job to do on their walk and it stimulates them mentally and that helps make them a more balanced dog.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 AM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
Harley Man's advice is absolutely correct.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM

124 posts, read 249,720 times
Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
There are people much more knowledgeable on here than I am. But did you expose Hobbs to cats before? Some dogs just can't handle that temptation. The prey drive is too strong. You are fighting nature by putting dogs and smaller furry animals together. It works out sometimes but other times this happens. Best of luck.

I totally agree .. I have three dogs two med one large pit mix guess what despite adoring the med dogs cats are a big no no , no training made to let that cat be 100 % safe.. to much prey drive. IF on a leash he is good in the house nope nada . good luck My advice give the cat away I am biased

Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Offhand, it does sound like the little kitten could easily find another home. Hobbs' biting the husband sounds like a normal fear reaction to being sat on.
I adopted a Springer as my first dog. He had that inbred flaw ("rage") and began attacking me. I was talking to every dog person I knew, and one was wise, "There are so many nice dogs who need homes. This one needs to be put down." (I eventually had to, as he tried to kill me).
There are plenty of dogs who need homes who don't bite. However, it sounds like the OP is very bonded with this dog, and she and husband do not want to give him up. So re-home the kitten, learn the lesson of no new animals, work closely with the dog and watch for "issues." If OP can safely keep him, and is so attached to him, I'd keep him.
By the way, dogs are rarely in shelters "for a reason," that is, for having problems of some sort. Most shelters I know are not in the business of making bad placements with problem dogs. In fact, the only problems I ever had with my many adoptions were when I took dogs from people (not shelters) and they weren't truthful about the problems. The only dog I've had to put down was the Springer. Oh, and I did have to return a lovely dog to Best Friends, whose feral beginnings asserted themselves when I had a change in our dog group, and she became very bizarrely and dangerously aggressive to my little senior. (Best wishes, Chippy!)
I agree with the OP and others that this household sounds like it has its full complement of animals. Best wishes.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
This thread is a bit older and the OP has already found a solution for her family/dog/cat. Closed before it gets too critical of her, as it did once before.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs