Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:48 PM

557 posts, read 2,615,488 times

Advertisements

The lab/pitbull dog we adopted from the shelter a month ago attacked the 10 week old kitten we brought home this week. Under very close supervision it seemed that Hobbs and the kitten were getting along okay and then this morning Hobbs attacked the kitten. As the kitten clearly wasn't able to defend himself, I immediately grabbed Hobb's collar and pulled him back but only with a struggle. The kitten is okay but traumatized and now panics when he hears the dog outside the door to his room. We're faced with whether to give up the dog or the kitten and, due to the other concerns we have with dear Hobbs, I think we need to find a rescue group who will find the right home for this fellow. Has anyone heard of Lap Dog Rescue ot New Mexico or similar organization in NM/AZ? (I'm heart broken about this and extremely upset about failure with this poor dog who has issues we can't handle).

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,819,609 times
There are people much more knowledgeable on here than I am. But did you expose Hobbs to cats before? Some dogs just can't handle that temptation. The prey drive is too strong. You are fighting nature by putting dogs and smaller furry animals together. It works out sometimes but other times this happens. Best of luck.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
There are people much more knowledgeable on here than I am. But did you expose Hobbs to cats before? Some dogs just can't handle that temptation. The prey drive is too strong. You are fighting nature by putting dogs and smaller furry animals together. It works out sometimes but other times this happens. Best of luck.
We already had a year old cat and introduced Hobbs and Miss Kitty slowly. Miss Kitty quickly taught him to respect her and the two have tolerated each other, mostly with Hobbs giving her lots of room. But a tiny kitten is another story. Some dogs have very strong predatory instincts, yes, and I've never had a dog that was part terrier. Had no problems with labs.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,308,658 times
A tiny kitten is definitely another story. It may take a lot of commitment, but is it possible to keep them separated until the kitten becomes as large and assertive as Miss Kitty before you give up Hobbs for possible euthanasia? Most reputable rescues are very up-front about why dogs have been surrendered, and Hobbs won't be the only pit mix with aggression issues up for adoption, by a long shot.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...th-inside.html

Old 06-28-2009, 06:16 PM

[quote=brattpowered;9510903]A tiny kitten is definitely another story. It may take a lot of commitment, but is it possible to keep them separated until the kitten becomes as large and assertive as Miss Kitty before you give up Hobbs for possible euthanasia? Most reputable rescues are very up-front about why dogs have been surrendered, and Hobbs won't be the only pit mix with aggression issues up for adoption, by a long shot.

How does one separate the dog a cat for a whole year? Did consider but don't think it's feasible. I'm looking for the right rescue organization, no-kill, which will rehabilitate and place Hobbs in the right home--one without children and pets. He's such a sweet dog by himself, likes human visitors to the house, and would be an ideal dog for certain people.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,970,159 times
Any way the shelter you got him from could call Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, in southern UT? They don't normally take dogs from owners but if the rescue called, they might.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM

314 posts, read 1,108,155 times
This is the same dog that recently attacked your husband, right? I think I hear "Taps" beginning to softly play in the background....

SIH, I think you need to get that animal out of your house ASAP.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM

459 posts, read 806,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
The lab/pitbull dog we adopted from the shelter a month ago attacked the 10 week old kitten we brought home this week. Under very close supervision it seemed that Hobbs and the kitten were getting along okay and then this morning Hobbs attacked the kitten. As the kitten clearly wasn't able to defend himself, I immediately grabbed Hobb's collar and pulled him back but only with a struggle. The kitten is okay but traumatized and now panics when he hears the dog outside the door to his room. We're faced with whether to give up the dog or the kitten and, due to the other concerns we have with dear Hobbs, I think we need to find a rescue group who will find the right home for this fellow. Has anyone heard of Lap Dog Rescue ot New Mexico or similar organization in NM/AZ? (I'm heart broken about this and extremely upset about failure with this poor dog who has issues we can't handle).

You should feel really sick!!!!!!!!!! Because of you this poor dog is going to have to go through even more stress and trauma because you weren't able to handle him!!!!! It's not his fault you have no idea how to handle a challenging dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,051,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
You should feel really sick!!!!!!!!!! Because of you this poor dog is going to have to go through even more stress and trauma because you weren't able to handle him!!!!! It's not his fault you have no idea how to handle a challenging dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Easy. The OP is trying to do the right thing. Things like this happen that are beyond control.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,604,490 times
Don't beat yourself up, OP...you tried to do a good thing, and it didn't work out because the dog clearly has issues with aggression...a rescue group is a great idea, as they will know how to rehabilitate & train the dog as well as find him a suitable family, preferably a household where he is the only animal and there are no children to yank on his tail or annoy him into a state of anxiety/aggression. If you really want a dog, I would suggest a smaller dog that already likes cats...I have 4 small dogs (chihuahua & JRT/chi mixes) and 2 cats, and they are all great friends, have never hurt each other, and even nap together/groom each other...so it's not a terrier trait to be cat-aggressive. (In fact, my JRT mixes are more in love with the cats than the chihuahuas are!) Hang in there, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.