Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

oh poor kitty!!!

i ended up taking buddy-the-giant-lab to a lab rescue group in tulsa, 400 miles away........ after his person abandoned him with me.....

Lab Rescue of Oklahoma

the director's name is vicki .....

he was adopted into his forever home within a month......

maybe try googling lab rescue ........

Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Sun,

Its alright. You have done a lot for this dog and he has proven to you that he's going to be a huge liability and will probably bite something else, possibly a child, if you keep him. If it were me, I wouldn't take that risk. The lengths that you will have to go to and the precautions you will have to take to render the dog harmless are going to consume your life and I'm not sure that would be worth it to me.

Did you give this dog your best try? If so, you don't need to feel remorseful for conceding that the dog is more than you can handle and more liability than you will accept. You would need to feel remorseful if a child were to bear scars from a dangerous animal that you kept in your home out of dogmatic loyalty. Hobbs isn't loyal to you, isn't respectful of you and doesn't recognize your attempts to lead. It isn't a possibility that he's a problem animal in your house, he's proven that he's a problem animal in your house.

Try to find a rescue group, but you may have some difficulty getting these groups to take a dog that has bitten humans and cats with full intent. Be prepared for that.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,501 times
You need to put him down. Why delay the inevitable. At least you can feel safe in knowing that you did not hand off a loaded weapon to someone. The dog has bitten a human recently, drawing blood and leaving a bruise. Then he also attempted to attack a cat, yet has not because of the cat fighting back. Now the dog has attacked a 10 week old kitten unprovoked, enough already. Do the right thing and humanley put him down. Im not trying to sound calous, just saying enough is enough. The dog has more issues than you are equipped to handle, and passing him off to a resuce and having them do the dirty work isn't right. They can use the bed space for a dog whom can be reformed, your dog is way past that, sorry

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! This person should of been screened by the shelter before they let her get a lab/pit bull mix. I can't beleive she went out and bought a kitten even after her husband was bitten. What the hell did you htink was going to happen!!!!!
I'm sure the OP would appreciate you giving Hobbs a new home. Since you are so concerned about him, can we count on you to take him in?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
I say again, hve the shelter contact Best Friends. If they can rehabilitate the worst of the Michael Vick dogs, they can help Hobbs!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! This person should of been screened by the shelter before they let her get a lab/pit bull mix. I can't beleive she went out and bought a kitten even after her husband was bitten. What the hell did you htink was going to happen!!!!!
You need anger management...seriously! This gal tried to rescue a dog with issues, which she has done successfully in the past, and you want to give her a hard time because this one didn't work out? What's your take on fostering? Is that cruel and stupid to you as well, because the animal doesn't get to stay in the foster home forever? Unbelievable!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times
The shelter I adopted Hobbs from told me he was okay with cats because they did that (obviously unreliable) "cat" test with him by parading him past the cats in cages. Because there was NO history on Hobbs, they did not know if he had lived with cats or dogs. He was getting along okay with our adult cat because she wouldn't let him too close to her. I think adding a kitten was too much for Hobbs who must be jealous. About biting humans: I don't feel he is aggressive at all. The bite my husband received was in response to my husband accidentally sitting on Hobbs. Hobbs has never growled or barked at anyone coming to the door or into the home--quite the opposite--he wants to be friends with everyone! But because he bit in response to being hurt, I would not trust him with small children. I believe Hobbs would do really well in an adult home as the only pet. Have been trying to find a rescue group, maybe one in AZ, who will take Hobbs and I will provide all the info I have about him.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM

557 posts, read 2,610,362 times
About the shelter screening business: I wish the shelters here in NM would screen! When adopting a lab in WA state, I was not only very thoroughly interviewed but those surrendering pets had to complete a 2 page questionnaire about the pet detailing pet's history, behavior, reasons for surrender, etc. When I asked the employee at the shelter in NM why no info was available on any of the pets surrendered, she told me "people dropping off pets here are afraid they'll be arrested! So tragic!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
Good luck in your search for a rescue for Hobbs. You both deserve the best for each of you.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
I wish you the best, but from experience, it doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong and someone steps in to help, but if your area is like mine..............

I won't pull a dog from a shelter or take in an owner surrendered dog if it exhibits any aggression. There are millions of dogs annually euthanized in this country that don't have aggression issues. I don't spend time or money to save the ones that do while the others are put down.

While I consider my rescue to be no-kill, if I were to take in a dog that I was told had no aggression issues and I later found out it did and I couldn't correct them, it would be put down.

Whatever Hobbs went through before landing in the shelter - or if he went through something while at the shelter - it may be too much for him to over come. Regardless of your ultimate decision, please don't go buy a puppy unless you're planning on getting in a show ring or having a working dog. I've got a home full of purebred dogs that are virtually homeless and had been on death row. And I'm going back next weekend to get more because they're having to euthanize starting Thursday if they can't make room. Buying a puppy, regardless of how wonderful your intentions, is only making the problem of over population worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs