Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,358 times

Advertisements

My puppy is 5 months old and for the most part obedient...she lately has been jumping and nipping...I have tried ignoring but she just keeps jumping...I have tried lifting my knee...that doesn't work either...it's mostly at certain times of the day...she gets over 45 minutes of exercise a day...i could be sitting on the couch and she is not allowed on it, but sometimes will jump up on the couch or put her paws on it, look at me and then nip and run away....it's the weirdest thing...i have been putting her outside if she gets too crazy and she usually comes back in pretty settled...but sometimes this has to happen twice...any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
45 mins a day is not neer enough excersize for a puppy...
increase it to a minimum of 2 hours...doesnt have to be structured, it could be as simple as letting her run full tilt around the garden after a ball or something...but puppies need EXCERSIZE and alot of it...even our chihuahuas need a minimum of 2 hours a day and they are adults!!!
my suggestion to you krysie would be to get her out more...walk her, play with her in the yard, her comming over and nipping at you ike you describe is her way of trying to get your attention, she wants you to chase her (watch 2 pusp playing this nip and run behaviour is very normal)
she needs her excersize sessions split up into at least 3 sessions a day (id personally do 4 1/2 hour excersize sessions being 2 x 1/2 hour walks one in the morning and one in the evening and 2 running riot playtimes. you want her to be running as much as possible playing during these playtimes.
id also sugest adding a couple of 15 minute training sessions a day to excersize her mind.
in the house give her puzzle toys like a kong filled with treats and blocked with peanut butter, a treat ball, even a big raw recreational bone to keep her mind active.

the husky mix shoudl ideally get more than that too...huskies are bred to run, pull and be 'opinionated' my experience has been they tend to be one of the nippiest breeds as they still retain alot of their pack instincts (needed for a good sled team)
lab pups are also incredibly active and unrooly.

for this case id echo what others way. firstly the moment she jumps say NO or AH-AH and turn your back (the physical act of turning should be so quick to the moment those fornt paws leave the ground that the dog doesnt have chance to put his paws on you...if he does it again same ah-ah and walk away calmly with your arms crossed. the moment he tries to jump up, turn a different direction ect...the idea being you never give him a solid surface to put his feet on, the instability of a moving target alone is often enough.
same goes for the nipping a firm no or ah-ah crossing your arms and ENDING the game (thats what puppy thinks it is) is what needs to be done.

i also agree that teaching him to sit before he gets ANY attention (be it petting, a ball, food ect.) will reinforce the no jumping.

id also add for you...MORE excersize...but given the mix of breeds id also look into swimming which labs love, mabe even weight pull, which huskies love!
i wouldnt encourage jogging or anythign in terms fo structured running yet (hes still growing untill hes 2 for treadmills and running can be too much for the growth plates) for now id stick to just letting him run on grass as part of playtime...and introduce him to lakes ect...at 2 yrd old you could start him with running or a treadmill.
i also think this guy needs more mental stimulation, short fun training sessions that make him think, puzzle toys ect.

all the life of a puppy with never ending energy!

Old 11-28-2010, 12:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysie82 View Post
My puppy is 5 months old and for the most part obedient...she lately has been jumping and nipping...I have tried ignoring but she just keeps jumping...I have tried lifting my knee...that doesn't work either...it's mostly at certain times of the day...she gets over 45 minutes of exercise a day...i could be sitting on the couch and she is not allowed on it, but sometimes will jump up on the couch or put her paws on it, look at me and then nip and run away....it's the weirdest thing...i have been putting her outside if she gets too crazy and she usually comes back in pretty settled...but sometimes this has to happen twice...any advice???
I have a similar problem. The nipping is an alpha thing....working on that with a trainer. The jumping....when the dog jumps at you step quickly forward into the jump and step on his hind foot toes enough to make him/her yelp. This has to be done during the jumping process. That will put a quick end to it as the dog will immediatley associate the jump with the toes being stepped upon and stay down to be petted instead of jumping. Again, it may also be an alpha thing.

My pup is 5 mos. old too....a ESS field bred with all the energy of the looney tunes tazmanian devil cartoon character and a similar path of destruction left in his wake! The more tired a puppy from exercise the better behaved they are! A sleeping puppy is a good puppy.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
i dont personally like using negative reinforcment so...no stepping on toes for me thanks.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i dont personally like using negative reinforcment so...no stepping on toes for me thanks.
It was not my method of first choice however positive re-enforcement is not working on my stubborn guy in every area requiring swift correction. To each pet owner his/her own. I'm working with a reputable trainer, one who also prefers positive re-enforcement and I am not being cruel.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
I have an 11 month Siberian Huskey who can very aggressive at times when I go out to see her to the point where she is nipping at my hands when I pet her or jumping up at anyone who walks in. I have been telling her no witha stern voice and give her a pop on the nose but she does not like me to tell her no, she responds with a howling type bark and when I try to pet her she nips again. I've tried turning my back and crossing arms she will then at times nip the back of my legs sometimes a painful pinch. I work with her every day and she obeys a lot of commands ie... sit, stay and lay but the nipping gets rough at times.. what can I do..

Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
" when I go out to see her" sounds like your dog is kept outside and probably is lonely and needs attention. Back yard dogs are not socialized and can be very destructive and unhappy.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,658,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
" when I go out to see her" sounds like your dog is kept outside and probably is lonely and needs attention. Back yard dogs are not socialized and can be very destructive and unhappy.
I agree totally. She is lonely and wants your attention.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,239,716 times
I had to smile, my lad was exactly the same, he is fine now. As others have said your dog is young and basically gets over excited.

I tired virtually everything to stop my lad. The best method for us was to distract him by channelling his energy into something equally exciting allowing him to jump and grab (but a toy not me).

JUMPING AND NIPPING (help)-330-mod.jpg

The only other alternative I found was to isolate him for a few minutes in another room. Then let him back in. I used the word bed and took him to his bed which is in the kitchen. Even today if he gets over excited I say firmly "bed" and he responds instantly by calming down.

What works for one may not work for another, its a question of try it and see.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Okay, this is easy to solve. You control the dog, before letting the dog in, settle the dog down. Or when you come home, come in first, settle dog down, give dog a hug, have dog sit...then the kids come in. I am sure that there are books on this...but that is what I always did, no excited happy voice, just calm...yes, mama is happy to see you, but you need to sit, and relax, have a belly scratch...then, it actually conditions the dog, to roll on the belly when you come home. Worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs