Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times

Advertisements

Keeping them lean can make a huge difference, I don't have a doxie but have volunteered at a rescue group where there have been several and a pound or 2 does make a huge difference, there's a lot of lite foods out there and senior foods and would prob. even cut back on them rather than give the usual amount - giving 1/2 of a small biscuit instead of a whole one even helps and they're just as happy - in the winter I cut back a bit on my own dogs' food b/c they just dont get the exercise they get the other 3 seasons and I don't want obese dogs if it can be avoided (it interferes w/ their breathing too), better for them to be on the lean side rather than heavy. We also try to limit their jumping on / off furniture as that doesnt help their backs or joints etc. Anyway, I can certainly understand why the money aspect makes one want to limit the # of dogs (doxies or otherwise) that one has, sadly too many are turned into rescue b/c their owners couldnt afford them (regular vet care and no way expensive surgery).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,417,857 times
Ha, I defy anyone to "train" Gus, my vet couldn't even pill him, the dog screamed like a woman and then peed all over the exam table. I love and adore Gus but he was an abused dog that I got thru a rescue group and he can be extremely difficult. I cherish him but he's a lot of work. My other dog is also a rescue but she was just a 3mo. old puppy so she doesn't have the baggage. They get canine Hill's R/D food and are walked everyday plus they get an hour of unleashed play time every morning. I'll go to my grave knowing I was a good, responsible pet owner; I don't treat my dogs like little humans with no boundries. Doxies can have back problems irregardless although the odds are much better when those factors(weight, excessive jumping) are addressed. I truly love the breed as they are so warm and funny but I just don't know if I could deal with the heartbreak of another serious injury, especially if I don't have the money to fix it. As I said before, it cost $4800.00 to fix my other dog's back. I don't have that kind of money anymore.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
Smile my mollys surgery

My Molly had surgery 4 1/2 months ago! She showed no pain, I just came home and her back side was not working !!!
Rushed her to the Vet, she was in surgery the next morning at 7.00am. I was told she would make a full recovery. I was not prepared for the long recovery time at all. Her disk blew up, so my baby was hurt worst than most.

At first all I wanted is to see her look back at me when I pinched her back paws. I'm very happy to say she now after 4 1/2 months shes starting to walk and her recovery has taken on speed. The surgery was $5600.00. And she has been working out in a water tread mill twice a week NOT Cheap !!
I'm not rich at all. I had insurance and my Mom helped.

I had two dachshunds growing up,they never had back problems..

All I can say is they are stubborn but my girl is very sweet and funny. When she is stubborn it cracks me up. All dogs have some genetic problems. There is no other dog in this world like a Doxie!! There sense of humor,there courage, they love to cuddle. I love there smell its theres alone. Having a dachshund is like having a best friend not just a dog !!

Even after Molly's surgery I would have 10 if I could quit work and have bigger house

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,665 times
Sorry to say, but considering these problems, it is cruel to breed a dog with this weakness.
They could be bred to have shorter backs.
Too bad humans don't consider the welfare of these animals they say they love.
In the meantime you have to consider your options.
I don't think you want your dog to live in pain.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM

111 posts, read 188,632 times
my wife has two "babies". They are the greatest, The older one hurt his back once and we had to get him some meds. We have doggie steps and those round cat holes for them to use to get up and down. They also love to curl up in the hole.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,379,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Sorry to say, but considering these problems, it is cruel to breed a dog with this weakness.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------all doxies dont have back problems, uneducated or lazy owners are the main reason doxies have back trouble. people dont realize the effect of jumping off the couch and landing on their front paws has,or they dont have the time to teach them how to get off of beds and such.

my little male has a game he plays dropping his bone/toy off the side of the bed looking at it then retrieving it, then he repeats this over and over?????

I had to spend a hour aday for god knows how many days teaching him to always use the milk carton to go and retrieve his toy, and I watch to make sure he keeps using the milk carton, every once in a while we must have a refresher course on how to dismount the bed.
but yes some are more prone to have back problems .....this isn't a reason to stop breeding (my opinion) the greatest dog in the world!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,696,719 times
I'm sorry for the problems you are having. I feel blessed in that my long haired doxie (knock on wood) has not had anything like that mentioned. And yup, they are the smartest dogs, in my opinion. I'd be lost without my little guy.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,379,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
not all doxies have back problems and to consider it a selfish act to own a dog because some have problems is redundant!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,087 times
I have a mini doxie and he can't stand on his back legs. We had him at the Vet for almost a week and had laser treatment on his back and he was given medication as well and is still on some medication. We are giving him warm baths and helping him move his back legs while in the water. Since he came home he has been able to feel more in the hind quarters and can move the rear right leg some. The problem is he can't urinate without help along with the fact that he still has no control to walk with his rear legs. We have considered taking him to a chiropractor but have not done it so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
As babymolly said, "I had two dachshunds growing up,they never had back problems.."

We had one as a kid and it was too fat, but did not have back problems. I wonder if the breed has been ruined by breeding for the wrong characteristics?

I have been thinking about getting a rescue, or a puppy, but I'm afraid of the expense of their back problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs