Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Please tell me more about this dog.

She looks so sad!

How old is she?

What type of dog is she? (Looks like beagle-something.)

Is she housebroken? (How do you know since she's in a straw cage?)

What's her personality like?

I don't know why, but I want to learn more about her!
Star is Trixie's daughter. She's 22 weeks now. Trixie is guessed to be a terrier beagle mix of some kind, about 25 to 30 pounds.

I'll pick the four of them up this weekend and bring them home and start working on housebreaking. Until I get her home and eval her a bit I won't know more though. But more photos will come as time goes on. She won't be ready for adoption for at least a couple weeks anyway. Gotta make sure she's healthy and have time for her eval and start her housebreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
I must have misread. I thought they already lived with you.

She's absolutely adorable. I'd love to hear more about her as you get to know her.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,066,287 times
me too .... something about her face really caught my eye and tugged my heart too!!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,459,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I must have misread. I thought they already lived with you.

She's absolutely adorable. I'd love to hear more about her as you get to know her.
Not quite yet, a couple more days. I just can't get off work before then to get them, so she's still got them until this weekend.

All I know so far:

Honey a Corgi Bassett mix was dumped in a neighborhood with her 5 puppies. The lady that took her had kennels set up for dogs that she was vetting and finding homes for but found out that the kennels sit on the neighbor's land. His kids are selling his house and told her if she didn't get rid of the dogs and kennels they'd bull doze them with the dogs in them, so she's in a mad rush to find them all homes.

Star, Trixie, Honey and KJ all came from there ^

Will definitely keep everyone posted as I get to know her more myself!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,230,247 times
Meet Cecil, who winked at me when I took this picture. He's featured with Augusta behind him and the ear of Bianca on the bed my own Nina and Sydney (there were two more running around in the hallway)

Meet Oz. I swore I would never ever get a small dog because of their high pitched yap, but after two years of fostering for some reason I just couldn't part with this little guy and he's a permanent member of the Thursday household.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,103,053 times
I don't do rescue. Although I'd love to, Artie won't let me. Neither will my husband. They both feel that one dog in the house is plenty. BAH!

But I've got to say:

1. You people who do rescue must feel such tremendous satisfaction and pride in what you do. And if you don't? You should! You're doing an AMAZING thing. You're, essentially, giving life.

2. What happy homes you must have. I mean, really, a home with a couple (or more) dogs running around = BLISS! I can't imagine not enjoying every minute of every day, and smiling all the freakin' time with these dogs around.

I bow (not bow-wow ) to all of you who do rescue.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
2. What happy homes you must have. I mean, really, a home with a couple (or more) dogs running around = BLISS! I can't imagine not enjoying every minute of every day, and smiling all the freakin' time with these dogs around.
I've always dreamed of having a pack of dogs on a farm!

I'd rescue on small scale---one dog at a time---if I had a fenced in yard.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,938,982 times
How do you start fostering/rescue? I would be interested in doing a american bulldog rescue. Is there a "for dummies" guide out there

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,230,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
How do you start fostering/rescue? I would be interested in doing a american bulldog rescue. Is there a "for dummies" guide out there

Thanks!
HA HA no guide really just the seat of your pants. Whatever rescue group you choose to work with will have a network of people like intake coordinators, adoption coordinators, trainers and people you can talk to should this or that happen or you aren't sure of something. I went to a Saturday adoption event just to introduce myself (after I filled out paperwork and was told I could foster) and they sent me home with a dog that day.

Just start with one dog or puppy and if you feel comfortable along the way to add a second at some point then do it. I've had up to seven in the house and maybe another one spend one night because I live right by the vets office that does the spay and neutering and they have to be there first thing in the morning.

The only rules I put on myself is to not let the dogs do things in my home I wouldn't want another homeowner to have to deal with - like allowing them on the furniture (yeah, that worked -not) not getting too attached to them by picking them up all the time (sure, Thursday) and be completely honest with whoever wants to adopt your foster so there are no suprises.

The little jack russell behind Cecil in that photo above totally destroyed my house, ripped all the front window blinds down, started in on the couch and some other stuff and was able to climb up and over my chain link fence. She was a typical JRT - very high strung- and the only one I fostered that was like that, but I was extremely honest with the guy who adopted her so he understood her energy level and what type of comittment she needed for training and exercise.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,938,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
HA HA no guide really just the seat of your pants. Whatever rescue group you choose to work with will have a network of people like intake coordinators, adoption coordinators, trainers and people you can talk to should this or that happen or you aren't sure of something. I went to a Saturday adoption event just to introduce myself (after I filled out paperwork and was told I could foster) and they sent me home with a dog that day.

Just start with one dog or puppy and if you feel comfortable along the way to add a second at some point then do it. I've had up to seven in the house and maybe another one spend one night because I live right by the vets office that does the spay and neutering and they have to be there first thing in the morning.

The only rules I put on myself is to not let the dogs do things in my home I wouldn't want another homeowner to have to deal with - like allowing them on the furniture (yeah, that worked -not) not getting too attached to them by picking them up all the time (sure, Thursday) and be completely honest with whoever wants to adopt your foster so there are no suprises.

The little jack russell behind Cecil in that photo above totally destroyed my house, ripped all the front window blinds down, started in on the couch and some other stuff and was able to climb up and over my chain link fence. She was a typical JRT - very high strung- and the only one I fostered that was like that, but I was extremely honest with the guy who adopted her so he understood her energy level and what type of comittment she needed for training and exercise.
Thanks! Is there any type of documentation needed? Here in Maryland, you are only allowed 4 dogs per household, unless I imagine your a breeder or a certified rescue, is their a board of certifications, or anything along those lines? Or is it just about collecting a few dogs, and began advertising as a rescue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs