Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times

Advertisements

The housebreaking woes thread prompted me to post this thread. Didn't want to hijack.

I have a deaf 8 year old sheltie who needs a refresher in housebreaking. She USED TO let herself out via the doggy door, but when she had surgery on her ears (3 surgeries), I allowed to her step outside her crate and use the pee pads because she couldn't go out the door with her e-collar (I live alone).

It's been a year since the surgery, and I can't seem to get her to go outside. I have to physically carry her to the dog door and she goes thru. I need to figure out a way to "mark" her good behavior when she goes out the door, like when someone uses a clicker, or "celebrates" verbally. She appreciates the treat and some petting, but I don't think she's making an association to going outside.

Any suggestions for marking her good behavior? Actually, how can I mark it when teaching basic commands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
The housebreaking woes thread prompted me to post this thread. Didn't want to hijack.

I have a deaf 8 year old sheltie who needs a refresher in housebreaking. She USED TO let herself out via the doggy door, but when she had surgery on her ears (3 surgeries), I allowed to her step outside her crate and use the pee pads because she couldn't go out the door with her e-collar (I live alone).

It's been a year since the surgery, and I can't seem to get her to go outside. I have to physically carry her to the dog door and she goes thru. I need to figure out a way to "mark" her good behavior when she goes out the door, like when someone uses a clicker, or "celebrates" verbally. She appreciates the treat and some petting, but I don't think she's making an association to going outside.

Any suggestions for marking her good behavior? Actually, how can I mark it when teaching basic commands?
You may want to try a training collar with a vibration function. You could remove the electrode prongs and only use the vibration or, since I'm sure someone already manufactures one, shop around for a vibration-only collar.

EDIT: For example... http://www.target.com/s/192-6125950-...5Fdog%5Fcollar although I strongly recommend spending more than $50.

Google TriTonics, Sportdog or Dogtra. They are well-regarded manufacturers.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
I have to admit I've often wondered why no one manufactures a vibration only collar specifically for deaf dogs, but I guess the market's too small...

I'm not sure if you've heard of this chap, but he's got a whole lot of info for deaf dog owners

Help with training your deaf dog from Barry Eaton

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You may want to try a training collar with a vibration function. You could remove the electrode prongs and only use the vibration or, since I'm sure someone already manufactures one, shop around for a vibration-only collar.
Does a dog regard the vibration as a "good thing"?

What is the purpose of a vibrating collar? I've heard of them, but never looked into their purpose.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I have to admit I've often wondered why no one manufactures a vibration only collar specifically for deaf dogs, but I guess the market's too small...

I'm not sure if you've heard of this chap, but he's got a whole lot of info for deaf dog owners

Help with training your deaf dog from Barry Eaton
Thanks for the link... I'll check it out.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Does a dog regard the vibration as a "good thing"?

What is the purpose of a vibrating collar? I've heard of them, but never looked into their purpose.
It would probably be weird at first, but how the dog reacts to it will vary greatly depending on the individual dog. I usually see it as an option on electronic collars. For example, I have hunted with a guide who's dog had been trained to SIT on vibration and RECALL on beeper. The dog was first trained to SIT on a single whistle blast - if you can substitute the vibration for a whistle, why not the vibration for a clicker? Comes in handy if the dog is out of earshot or the humans need to stay quiet. I have also seen it used as a less onerous negative reinforcement for conventional training or as a momentary distraction to interrupt barking.

If you hold your cell-phone to your neck you will get a very accurate representation of what the dog would feel. There is nothing inherently negative or unpleasant about it so it should be pretty easy to condition a dog to understand that the vibration represents the promise of reward. Some dogs that are a bit more high-strung may require some convincing, but I can't really think of a better way to "touch" a deaf dog at a distance in a neutral way.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
FWIW, if you do decide to go the electronic collar route, do NOT skimp. In this case you really do get what you pay for, but do expect to pay... If memory serves me, the SportDog collars with the vibration option are in the $250 +/- range. I think the TriTronics ones are even a bit higher.

I've used SportDog, but not TriTronics although the reviews I've read are all good.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
FWIW, if you do decide to go the electronic collar route, do NOT skimp. In this case you really do get what you pay for, but do expect to pay... If memory serves me, the SportDog collars with the vibration option are in the $250 +/- range. I think the TriTronics ones are even a bit higher.

I've used SportDog, but not TriTronics although the reviews I've read are all good.
At some point the SportDog, TriTronics, Dogtra argument starts to look and sound a lot like the Chevy, Ford, Dodge argument, but I TOTALLY support the notion that springing for a good model is more than worthwhile.

I've used the same TriTronics Pro 100 for about five years. The guy who told me to buy one has been using the same one (I think its the "Flyway") since 1998.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Here is another site which covers a lot of training issues with deaf dogs.

DDEAF Training Tips

Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
You can also get one of those little lights used to light up keyholes that you hang on keychains. That works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs