Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times

Advertisements

I'm in a quandary. My 9 yr old sheltie, Scarlett, is blind and deaf, and may not be mentally 100%. My problem: she no longer uses the puppy pads to relieve herself. She used to search for them, but not anymore. My floors are ruined (really not a big deal, but look ugly), and my place smells. I have laminate floors throughout the house, and a lot of the seams are warped because of her peeing wherever. I regret not laying down linoleum. So every day I come home, wipe up, mop up.

So, in order to keep the mess to a minimum, I'm thinking of putting her in a x-pen while I work. I'm gone from 6 am to 3:30 pm. I know she sleeps most of that time, and when she is awake, she paces, continuously. And when she does, she walks thru her mess and tracks it all over, and I have to clean her up, too (just her paws).

Would it be cruel to pen her up for that long a time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
I don't think its any more cruel than anything else she is going through. It sounds like she has some medical issues that are either going untreated or are untreatable.

Have you discussed quality of life issues with your vet?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't think its any more cruel than anything else she is going through. It sounds like she has some medical issues that are either going untreated or are untreatable.

Have you discussed quality of life issues with your vet?
Yes, she's not so bad that we need to consider putting her down. I'm not looking for something "kinder" than what she's going thru. I don't have a choice with her blindness and deafness, just the pen.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm in a quandary. My 9 yr old sheltie, Scarlett, is blind and deaf, and may not be mentally 100%. My problem: she no longer uses the puppy pads to relieve herself. She used to search for them, but not anymore. My floors are ruined (really not a big deal, but look ugly), and my place smells. I have laminate floors throughout the house, and a lot of the seams are warped because of her peeing wherever. I regret not laying down linoleum. So every day I come home, wipe up, mop up.

So, in order to keep the mess to a minimum, I'm thinking of putting her in a x-pen while I work. I'm gone from 6 am to 3:30 pm. I know she sleeps most of that time, and when she is awake, she paces, continuously. And when she does, she walks thru her mess and tracks it all over, and I have to clean her up, too (just her paws).

Would it be cruel to pen her up for that long a time?
absolutely not, I don't blame you..She may not think it is a good idea, but it will not hurt her.

Nita

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I routinely penned my dogs when I was working, from 7:15 a to 5 p. They all survived and were quite happy.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks, guess I just needed some reassurance.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,242 times
My boxer is always kenneled when I am gone, since the day I got him. He will pee on my house out of anger that I left. lol. I have tried to leave him out a few times but he pees. He will probably be in his kennel when I am gone until he dies. It makes both our lives easier.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I don't have an issue with crating my dog when I'm gone (I work a regular workday outside the home). It needs to be done in our case. It sounds like it does in yours, as well.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM

205 posts, read 726,518 times
You are not being cruel to crate her. You are keeping her safe and out of harms way.
My dogs are crated when I am away from them to keep them safe and assure me that all is well at my home when I'm not there to supervise.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I don't think it's cruel either. At that age, she probably is sleeping most of the day. My little maltese had serious 'mental' issues his last two years and life was awful. We tried the aricept but I could see absolutely no difference. I guess if they have not cured dementia and/or alzheimers in the elderly . . it's probably pretty hard to cure in dogs too.

She might feel safer and not wander. Put a nice comfy blanket or pillow in there and she will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs