Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will this recession ever end?
Yes 54 43.20%
No 71 56.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It will end next year when we vote obama out of office, and put him where he can't do any more damage...
I was just going to say this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 AM

355 posts, read 869,423 times
This all started in October of 2007 when gas prices went into the stratosphere. They are still there, and actually about 40 cents higher than they were back then. This is killing the disposable income of the average folk, not to mention reeking havoc on food prices and anything relying on oil-based modes of transportation. Until we see a return of cheap energy available for mass consumption, the hardships will continue.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
This all started in October of 2007 when gas prices went into the stratosphere. They are still there, and actually about 40 cents higher than they were back then. This is killing the disposable income of the average folk, not to mention reeking havoc on food prices and anything relying on oil-based modes of transportation. Until we see a return of cheap energy available for mass consumption, the hardships will continue.
Someone has a government license to manipulate oil. They are using it to offset losses in the real estate market. And the Fed's 0.25% prime isn't helping matters at all.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
I agree with you that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. However, we will not be returning to cheap energy prices for any extended period of time. Once the market made the price it has a memory to return and settle. Market drivers will look to move it higher taking advantage of real and anticipated supply shortages.

Already, many of the big players are looking at gaining control of other key sources of alternative energy and commodities such as grain and water. If water was suddenly a viable source of energy you can bet you'd be paying one way or another and it wouldn't likely be cheaper than what you pay for gas today.

I built an energy efficient, passive solar home. I have a high efficiency propane furnance and it is super insulated. Even though I purchase 650 gallons of propane I get hit with a minimum use charge because a home my size is supposed to use more. This put me in a higher price point which essentially negated the 25% less fuel I used compared to similar-sized homes that are less efficient.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I built an energy efficient, passive solar home. I have a high efficiency propane furnance and it is super insulated. Even though I purchase 650 gallons of propane I get hit with a minimum use charge because a home my size is supposed to use more. This put me in a higher price point which essentially negated the 25% less fuel I used compared to similar-sized homes that are less efficient.
Back in the day I read about a house that was built like yours that had a lot of mail boxes out in front. They heated it on junk mail. (That was the joke) Can you get your own trailer and buy your own at the pump? Then you can discontinue the service?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Welcome to the new "normal", OP.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
It is not "normal" to have nearly 10 percent out of a job, another 10 percent in a job below their qualifications, and have to look for a job for over a year. This depression is the worst we have seen in a lifetime and we need to take corrective action that will really work. Obama will likely lose to some Republican bozo who darn well better get the economy repaired.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It is not "normal" to have nearly 10 percent out of a job, another 10 percent in a job below their qualifications, and have to look for a job for over a year. This depression is the worst we have seen in a lifetime and we need to take corrective action that will really work. Obama will likely lose to some Republican bozo who darn well better get the economy repaired.
No one is talking about the kinds of changes you need to make to the economy to get it working again.

As someone said there is only one person on C-D that is talking about the kinds of things that I talk about. Lots of inflation to cut the cost of the debt we are carrying, then changes in the tax code to keep the debt from growing too fast.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
pvande, No one said the new "normal' is good, but it will last, no matter what we try. 8 million were axed, and corp revenue is back to where it was or more before the mass firings. The reduction in force increased earnings, so why would they give it up, when they figured out how to staff more efficiently? Assuming they don't give it up, how will anyone of either party change the employment picture? Only buffoons thing tax code changes will cause Mr. CEO to say, "Gee, whiz, I'll use my increased after tax profit of $2 billion to hire back those I fired 3 years ago." Only buffoons think a crack fix style stimulus will be anything more than the census, in terms of long-term employment impact, and the Chinese are not going to lend us trillions for a long-range stimulus, as they eat our lunch. So how can anyone of any party change the equation?

Last edited by bobtn; 11-02-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default False assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I smell a false assumption, namely that it's within the power of any president to "get the economy repaired". The president is not completely powerless either, of course, but he cannot just do whatever he wants; there is Congress to consider, and staying within Constitutional limits so things don't get set aside by the Surpreme Court. Even more important may be global factors beyond the control of the president. Then throw in consumer actions which, collectively, may or may not be helping matters.

It is simplistic and child-like to assume that some savior will come along, just as it is simplistic and child-like to think that Obama is to blame for our profound economic malaise. There are so many factors which caused our present predicament, some global and some national.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics