Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,199,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
That reminds me of something:

"Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute. But set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
I spent a few moments considering how I would extract an on-topic meaning from it, but in the end, I just left it alone because it's funnier that way.
I guess that would depend on whether you or a loved one has been seriously burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM

23,596 posts, read 24,130,589 times
I agree. The economy is improving greatly and jobs are available if people are flexible. Long term unemployment is an option if you simply cannot find work at all, but these days, the job market is greatly improving.

I know a couple who has been out of work since 2011 and has been on UI until it was recently cut off. They did not have any incentive to look for a job while on UI since UI covered all of their bills. After UI was cut off, they both started scrambling to look for jobs. In their case, UI made them lazy.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I agree. The economy is improving greatly and jobs are available if people are flexible. Long term unemployment is an option if you simply cannot find work at all, but these days, the job market is greatly improving.

I know a couple who has been out of work since 2011 and has been on UI until it was recently cut off. They did not have any incentive to look for a job while on UI since UI covered all of their bills. After UI was cut off, they both started scrambling to look for jobs. In their case, UI made them lazy.
And there are plenty of those people. Just compare the number of serious questions looking for help finding a job, vs those on the unemployment forum asking for help getting or extending their UI benefits.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,086,927 times
Just travel in many areas of the country and note the number of folks who just might not look like real job market material. This is before asking them to pee in a cup. Are tattoos considered part of your resume?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:35 PM

35,121 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Quote:

Maybe things are going great in the SF area, but things aren't booming in all areas and some areas still feel like they're in a depression. My area has continued to lose jobs over the last year and a half. Out of the three malls in the area, two seem to have more vacancies than occupants. The downtown of the city I work in is mostly boarded up empty buildings. It wasn't this bad in 2008/2009.

Yes, I can agree that the UI benefits do make people lazy to a certain extent, but painting the economy as booming when you're in one of the best metros in the country is a bit shortsighted.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:35 PM

28,692 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I can name countless older relatives of mine who were basically handed a diploma as well.
Either you can't name them, or they're not countless. They can't be both nameable and countless.

Quote:
What I think is occurring is that our very knowledge based economy that we have in the 21st century has exposed the problem. I truly an honestly think that education quality has not changed at all for the past half century in America. It is just that our education system is not tailored to the modern economy.
I think there is a new problem. We had an educational system that had a deliberate technical/vocational track as a valid option for nearly all kids.

That is not true today. The overt intention of the educational system is college-prep and nothing but college-prep. That was especially true of the NCLB program, which actually penalized schools that had technical/vocational tracks. There is almost no recognition by the Educational Establishment that technical training is a valid option...even though only 30% of Americans ever get a bachelor's degree.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,049,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Maybe things are going great in the SF area, but things aren't booming in all areas and some areas still feel like they're in a depression. My area has continued to lose jobs over the last year and a half. Out of the three malls in the area, two seem to have more vacancies than occupants. The downtown of the city I work in is mostly boarded up empty buildings. It wasn't this bad in 2008/2009.

Yes, I can agree that the UI benefits do make people lazy to a certain extent, but painting the economy as booming when you're in one of the best metros in the country is a bit shortsighted.
True. Even in affluent areas, stores are closing every few months. Business is not booming everywhere and the number of people applying for certain jobs is extremely high.

College grads are still having difficulty finding work, nationwide.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:

I have a relative like that. He very much enjoyed every tier of his unemployment. He would take off to Florida in the winter to enjoy the beaches. Once he used up every tier of his 2 year vacation, he hoped there would be more but he had to get a job. He said it was hard having to get used to getting up in the morning and not being able to travel anymore like he was able when he was unemployed.

A very large number of unemployed will just end up finding jobs if they realize they have to.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
True. Even in affluent areas, stores are closing every few months. Business is not booming everywhere and the number of people applying for certain jobs is extremely high.

College grads are still having difficulty finding work, nationwide.
Yet, illegals fresh over the border are having no trouble finding jobs. Maybe because they gladly accept minimum wage and have a work ethic.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have a relative like that. He very much enjoyed every tier of his unemployment. He would take off to Florida in the winter to enjoy the beaches. Once he used up every tier of his 2 year vacation, he hoped there would be more but he had to get a job. He said it was hard having to get used to getting up in the morning and not being able to travel anymore like he was able when he was unemployed.

A very large number of unemployed will just end up finding jobs if they realize they have to.
U3 is down to 7%..far closer to full unemployment than the peak. 180k plus jobs added monthly for 2 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics