Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The parents take time off work. That is the back up plan. Day cares are not allowed to take in children with fevers or who are vomiting. There are rules. And no provider wants to risk getting sick anyway and having to shut down for a few days because they are too sick to rake care of kids. We are not being difficult, we are trying to share with you a dose of reality.
Ok, so what prevents the parent of a child staying with Shirley from taking time off from work? I'm trying to see your point. The logical solution seems to be the mother and father each taking a few personal days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
At this point, I'm convinced we're being punked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Are you Kidding?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you feel that home based child care with 2-3 children is an impossibility?

What do you do when your toddler is too sick for daycare? How do you control your child getting sick from another kid at daycare?
The parent stays home from work and takes care of their sick kid themselves. Kids get sick all the time in daycare because people are often contagious before symptoms kick in.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The parent stays home from work and takes care of their sick kid themselves. Kids get sick all the time in daycare because people are often contagious before symptoms kick in.
Ok, but what does this have to do with having affordable child care that isn't at a center or is at an affordable center? Any parent of a small child should plan to need time off occasionally to care for a sick child.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:33 PM

Since you are retired now, perhaps you are not aware of the reality that employed people face. Namely, not everyone has personal days that they can take at the drop of a hat. And as I stated before, that requires parents dipping into their personal time, which they need on reserve when their own child is sick.

Quote:
Ok, so what prevents the parent of a child staying with Shirley from taking time off from work? I'm trying to see your point. The logical solution seems to be the mother and father each taking a few personal days.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM

EXACTLY! Parents reserve their personal days for when THEIR CHILD is sick, not when the sitter cancels because HER CHILD is sick.
Quote:
Ok, but what does this have to do with having affordable child care that isn't at a center or is at an affordable center? Any parent of a small child should plan to need time off occasionally to care for a sick child.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Of course but it sounded like you were suggesting that parents take turns caring for each other's sick kids or that daycare's accept a sick kid. Not all workplaces will be cool with people taking frequent time off for their sick kids but it is what it is.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
EXACTLY! Parents reserve their personal days for when THEIR CHILD is sick, not when the sitter cancels because HER CHILD is sick.
So you know there are thousands upon thousands of at-home based child care operations, right?

How do you believe they make it work?

Heck, how did my granny make it work? Should I call her?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,911 times
Quote:
Tell me where "here" is. I want to call around and see if I can find lower cost day care. I'm sure I can find a place without the required activity fee.
Be sure to consider the following when you "call around" the area: distance from home, distance from place of employment, distance outside of usual route to work, operating hours, flexibility, penalties for late pickups or extra charges for extended hours, meal plans, policies and allowances for dietary special needs and allergies, proximity of the center to urgent care facilities, child to minder ratios, discipline and conflict policies, their ability to effectively work with and include children with developmental issues or disorders, time spent outdoors versus indoors, inclement weather policies, free play versus organized and structured activities...I could go on, but that is just a sample of what many parents need to, in whole or part, consider when seeking childcare.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Be sure to consider the following when you "call around" the area: distance from home, distance from place of employment, distance outside of usual route to work, operating hours, flexibility, penalties for late pickups or extra charges for extended hours, meal plans, policies and allowances for dietary special needs and allergies, proximity of the center to urgent care facilities, child to minder ratios, discipline and conflict policies, their ability to effectively work with and include children with developmental issues or disorders, time spent outdoors versus indoors, inclement weather policies, free play versus organized and structured activities...I could go on, but that is just a sample of what many parents need to, in whole or part, consider when seeking childcare.
Yes, it's certainly possible the narrow down your list of requirements to a list 50 pages long - but what do you suppose those that don't want/can't afford to pay it do? Do they compromise and find the characteristics most important to them? You may be in a financial position that allows you not to compromise - that's great, but probably not representative of most situations. Most parents can't afford to be specific enough to narrow down "outdoors time", "conflict policies" and "free play" issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics