Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
ncolel, there is a problem. You are trying to discuss the issue with those who are only interested in complaining.
I'm not interested in complaining I'm interested in doing something about it. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
ncolel, there is a problem. You are trying to discuss the issue with those who are only interested in complaining.
Are you complaining??

Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
If it wasn't then we would be really hurting bad. Now we are just kind of hurting.
And I didn't say that it hadn't. I said the amount of increase is less for the same amount of effort. I didn't say that you didn't get any increase.
But if both are still living with their parents because they can't afford a place of their own then they can't afford to get married.
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/w...age-Of-GDP.jpg

We have substituted blowing a debt bubble for real economic growth. The effects of outsourcing plus having growth in the top end as the middle stay even means herder to get ahead.

We aren't growing the pie at a fast enough rate.
Your position is extremely poorly explained - you keep saying it is harder to get ahead, but harder relative to what? The previous generation? And what do you mean by "ahead" - ahead of the previous generation, or ahead of where you would otherwise be?

You say the amount of increase is less for the same amount of effort - again, what do you mean? Do you mean that the purchasing power of the additional income as a result of working hard (over and above the income you would earn by working less hard) is less than the same for the previous generation? Or that the rate of increase in total income is slowing down ?

I am very, very confused as to what you are trying to say in a quantitative sense. Please clarify.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
I have no idea why this forum seems to attract the whiners of the world. That is too bad because coming here to exchange ideas and learn would be a whole lot more valuable.

There is no reason to try to refute what the whiners have to say. Logic has no part. Whining just seems to make some people feel less like losers. It is always better to have something or someone else to blame.

Someone who was not a whiner and a loser might instead come to this forum with questions about the new types of jobs that are opening up. I know of quite a few. I also know of quite a few careers were demand is becoming very high and there will be increasing and prolonged shortages of available employees.
This. If you have marketable skills, you will almost certainly have a job. For example, Tech is a booming industry that is just demanding workers at the moment, but most people can't go through it's rigorous college program for a CS degree taking classes like Calc 2 or Physics 2 or the more demanding data type courses.

Some industry are dying and some are flourishing. That's just life. Things change. Things get outdated. Stop crying and make yourself more marketable.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:57 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
mmmmm...Pie!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Your position is extremely poorly explained
Thank you for taking the time to try and understand what I'm trying to say.
Quote:
- you keep saying it is harder to get ahead, but harder relative to what?
The median male income has kept approximately even with inflation, from approximately 1980 on.. The growth in the economy has happened on the top end. So if you want to outperform inflation and you are close to median male income it takes work to stay even and lots more to get ahead. In the past (pre-1970) gains in worker productivity were rolled over into worker compensation. So the median male income gained buying power over time. Not so now.Part two in a min

Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The previous generation? And what do you mean by "ahead" - ahead of the previous generation, or ahead of where you would otherwise be?
Ahead of the current median.
Quote:

You say the amount of increase is less for the same amount of effort - again, what do you mean?
It is hard to quantify effort. I personally put a lot of effort into spelling and the result resembles fertilize. The amount of work to keep even with inflation is going up.

When gains in worker productivity were being rolled over into worker compensation to get more purchasing power took an average amount of work. With outsourcing to stay even with what you had before is hard. It take more work now to stay even with inflation now (2015) than it did to increase your purchasing power before (1970).
Quote:
Do you mean that the purchasing power of the additional income as a result of working hard (over and above the income you would earn by working less hard) is less than the same for the previous generation?
More this
Quote:
Or that the rate of increase in total income is slowing down ?
Where the rate of growth is high and low has shifted. Top end has it easy. Bottom end not so. The bottom end isn't staying even with inflation, Median is, and the top end is pulling ahead. Where you are at on the curve determines what part of the "elephant" you "see".

If you are below average in ability to earn money you can't keep up with inflation. Long term that doesn't just suck. It will quite literally kill you.
Quote:

I am very, very confused as to what you are trying to say in a quantitative sense. Please clarify.
Does that help?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Prosperity of future generations depends on the economic pie growing at a rate to keep up with the population growth. Clearly, the pie has stopped growing a sufficiently fast rate. Every year it gets harder to enter every occupation. As no new types of jobs are appearing, all we have is a competion over existing job types. At the same time the cost of living is increasing. Decreased home ownership, fewer people getting married, more barriers of entry into professions ... This is all indicative of the fact that we've ceased to be a nation that can provide a decent standard of living for the average person. All we're doing at this point is divying up the pie. It's an unpleasant atmosphere that I sense.

The pie is inferior because the federal government is in the pastry business and none has ever been near a kitchen.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:42 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Ahead of the current median.
It is hard to quantify effort. I personally put a lot of effort into spelling and the result resembles fertilize. The amount of work to keep even with inflation is going up.

When gains in worker productivity were being rolled over into worker compensation to get more purchasing power took an average amount of work. With outsourcing to stay even with what you had before is hard. It take more work now to stay even with inflation now (2015) than it did to increase your purchasing power before (1970).
More this
Where the rate of growth is high and low has shifted. Top end has it easy. Bottom end not so. The bottom end isn't staying even with inflation, Median is, and the top end is pulling ahead. Where you are at on the curve determines what part of the "elephant" you "see".

If you are below average in ability to earn money you can't keep up with inflation. Long term that doesn't just suck. It will quite literally kill you.
Does that help?
Yes. I think that in some occupations it is more difficult to earn above the median than it would have been in the 1980's, but not in all occupations. Outsourcing issues apply more to manufacturing than to most other jobs, AFAIK.

But yes, inequality is going up, and few in power care enough to do anything about it, unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yes. I think that in some occupations it is more difficult to earn above the median than it would have been in the 1980's, but not in all occupations. Outsourcing issues apply more to manufacturing than to most other jobs, AFAIK.

But yes, inequality is going up, and few in power care enough to do anything about it, unfortunately.
The simple solution to getting the people in power to care is to select people that care for office. Pick someone you know that would do well and start a write in campaign. And do it with social media.

What is wrong with the current system is the first step in getting elected is to go ask the rich people for money.

So fix the first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics