Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 PM

615 posts, read 726,375 times

Advertisements

Prosperity of future generations depends on the economic pie growing at a rate to keep up with the population growth. Clearly, the pie has stopped growing a sufficiently fast rate. Every year it gets harder to enter every occupation. As no new types of jobs are appearing, all we have is a competion over existing job types. At the same time the cost of living is increasing. Decreased home ownership, fewer people getting married, more barriers of entry into professions ... This is all indicative of the fact that we've ceased to be a nation that can provide a decent standard of living for the average person. All we're doing at this point is divying up the pie. It's an unpleasant atmosphere that I sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
The pie isn't the problem.
The number of forks poised over it is.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:15 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Prosperity of future generations depends on the economic pie growing at a rate to keep up with the population growth. Clearly, the pie has stopped growing a sufficiently fast rate. Every year it gets harder to enter every occupation. As no new types of jobs are appearing, all we have is a competion over existing job types. At the same time the cost of living is increasing. Decreased home ownership, fewer people getting married, more barriers of entry into professions ... This is all indicative of the fact that we've ceased to be a nation that can provide a decent standard of living for the average person. All we're doing at this point is divying up the pie. It's an unpleasant atmosphere that I sense.
In general, I agree. And don't listen to those modern day Malthusians like Mr. Rational et al. We have enough resources to have a good economy. We just have to learn to use them more efficiently. Humans are notoriously inefficient until they are forced to be otherwise.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
I have no idea why this forum seems to attract the whiners of the world. That is too bad because coming here to exchange ideas and learn would be a whole lot more valuable.

There is no reason to try to refute what the whiners have to say. Logic has no part. Whining just seems to make some people feel less like losers. It is always better to have something or someone else to blame.

Someone who was not a whiner and a loser might instead come to this forum with questions about the new types of jobs that are opening up. I know of quite a few. I also know of quite a few careers were demand is becoming very high and there will be increasing and prolonged shortages of available employees.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Prosperity of future generations depends on the economic pie growing at a rate to keep up with the population growth. Clearly, the pie has stopped growing a sufficiently fast rate.
Per capita GDP in real terms is not going down, what are you smoking?

Quote:
Every year it gets harder to enter every occupation.
Uh, no.

Quote:
As no new types of jobs are appearing, all we have is a competion over existing job types.
Huh? New jobs are coming into being all the time as technology improves.

Quote:
At the same time the cost of living is increasing. Decreased home ownership, fewer people getting married,
Not necessarily a bad thing - single is better than trapped in a horrible marriage, and not owning a home is worse than owning one that drains all your money and makes you unable to afford anything else.

How do you know whether the added singles are those that would otherwise be happily married, or those that wouldn't? Similarly, how do you know the non-homeowners are those that would otherwise benefit from owning, rather than those that would hurt from it?

Quote:
more barriers of entry into professions ... This is all indicative of the fact that we've ceased to be a nation that can provide a decent standard of living for the average person. All we're doing at this point is divying up the pie. It's an unpleasant atmosphere that I sense.
Unfounded assertion.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have no idea why this forum seems to attract the whiners of the world. That is too bad because coming here to exchange ideas and learn would be a whole lot more valuable.

There is no reason to try to refute what the whiners have to say. Logic has no part. Whining just seems to make some people feel less like losers. It is always better to have something or someone else to blame.

Someone who was not a whiner and a loser might instead come to this forum with questions about the new types of jobs that are opening up. I know of quite a few. I also know of quite a few careers were demand is becoming very high and there will be increasing and prolonged shortages of available employees.
Yes, in fact I will name a few that didn't exist 10 years ago.

Many jobs related to Cloud computing.

Business Intelligence, with products such as Tableau and Jaspersoft plus many others
Developers of mobile applications (App developer).

Many kinds of consultants such as special education student advocate and generational consultants.

Many social media jobs, most companies now have a whole department for it or at least a "social media manager".

Electronics Recycling.

Many related to "Sustainability". Again, many companies will have a whole department for this.

Legal Marijuana farming, wholesale and retail (several states and growing, no pun intended).

Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 PM

615 posts, read 726,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Well, yea. I think we've reached a point where, if nothing else changes, increasing the population will cause a reduction in the standard of living for the average person. Unless you're ok with being cooped up in highrise apartments like how people live in Asia.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:04 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time There are several things leading to low growth. We are debt saturated. Personal debt is at 100% of GDP (aprox) Corporate debt is over 100% of GDP and government debt is closing in on 100% of GDP. The growth is in the top end and that part has grown to the point it is strangling the rest. A smaller number of people are getting more money instead of a larger number of people getting more jobs. At least in the US.

If you want to reverse this then you need everyone making stuff to be sold in the US to be paid US mini mum wage, and then the US minimum wage to go up over time. We need to drive inflation with wages instead of with debt for a bit. That is to restructure our debts. But everyone in the world more or less is in the same boat we are so they all need to inflated away part of the value of the debt.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Out sourcing etc. Plenty
of pie to go around you've just gota pay people to make it.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

I don't understand either when you look at flood of people not even speaking the language who flood into get jobs to survive. Liberals even make a point of pointing out that there are mnay jobs citizens will not take I their argument on illegal entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics