Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,796,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
How can an entire race hate and entire subject? The odds of that are very low, I'd say -- way worse than the odds of picking two red balls in a row from an urn containing three red balls and two black balls.
What? No yellow balls or white balls? Are you some kind of racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Every white person I know hates statistics. Every stats teacher Ive had has been Asian (not just oriental).
Every stats teacher I have had has been white male. So?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,553,577 times
Does this thread have something to do with Economics?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,455,812 times
I tried to hire one but I Winged the Wong number

Old 05-20-2015, 10:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,455,812 times
Honestly, and I have a lot of Asian friends they have it much easy than white folks in getting good grades.

Why first their parents support education, most have no part time jobs, few do sports and do little house work. Being a student is there full time job.

Me in HS, in ninth grade for instance, I was on a team, had a part time job, had tons of chores at home and homework was something you squeezed in after nine pm if you had time and parents did not care about grades as long as it was B or higher.

Also this I never thought about until an Asian friend mentioned this to me. Drinking, Partying and hooking up with hot girls is not something a lot of Asian men cant do that often. My biggest distractions in college.

My friend who I only know as an adult not in college explained he had a very low threshold for drinking, 2-3 drinks tops, he is short around five foot five inch and perfectly average looking. The parties are all six foot plus white guys drinking like a fish partying grabbing the hot looking cheerleader types which he could never get so what was the point. He had asian girlfriends in college, but honestly it was like lets go to library study five hours get cup of tea and if not tired a two minute quickie. Honestly, the asian men main attraction to asian women is good grades and income potential not so much even looks.

I was a poor student barely hanging on and no way could I keep up with my Asian counterparts well rested and who studied ten times as much as me in a classroom.

But in a bar or a fight or sports it was another story. However, it is no longer game of thrones. Careers and money are based on GPA and education. But to this day in HS and College the six foot two inch, muscular white male who had a nice car, can drink and party is king of campus. Trouble is on graduation the asians now take all the best jobs.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
2) Even if they do pay full price, why would paying full price to Columbia allow MIT to grant more scholarships?
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic but since you're probably not, more full paying students adds to a university's endowment fund which frees up more money for need based financial aid.

BTW, 75% of statistics are made up

Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,771,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Why would we want them to stay? They have funny-sounding names and understand statistics. Enough to spell "kooties" to a whole lot of people.
What is your gripe?
I took OP's post as a COMPLIMENT to asians, not a slur.

Sheesh, stop looking - and "uncovering" - racism everywhere already!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM

[quote=SandyJet;39692106].

Me in HS, in ninth grade for instance, I was on a team, had a part time job, had tons of chores at home and homework was something you squeezed in after nine pm if you had time and parents did not care about grades as long as it was B or higher.

I participated in cross country and track in all for years of high school. Plus I spent two year as an editor on writer for the high school newspaper as we as on the yearbook. I was a straight A student. Activities is not a detriment to good grades.

PS I went to a pretty tough academically speaking Catholic high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Trouble is on graduation the asians now take all the best jobs.
Betcha that statistically speaking the Asians do not dominate the financial services industry, to name one. Oil industry? Construction industry? Automobile industry?

Asians I knew in college were math majors - from Hong Kong.

Today, I believe, are for the most part dominating tech jobs. I curious as to what "best" jobs do you think they "take all the best"?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM

816 posts, read 969,337 times
This is true. Mostly.
To come to the US, an immigrant student has to PROVE that he/his family has liquid funds available to pay for all the years of his college. This is to apply for the student visa. This can be 100k-200K USD. If people in India/China can afford that, they are already the creme-de-la-creme of that country. The 1%, if you will.

But I also know of many immigrant students who come from poorer families, parents borrow-beg-steal to show the funding.

I was an immigrant student studying a STEM field. Most of my classmates were immigrant students. Mostly from wealthy-ish families. I think MOST of them found jobs. We graduated 2008 december.

As I grew up, One question was paramount to me, "how employable was I?". This was true for almost every person I knew in my circle of school/college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would say most of the foreign students already succeeded at life by being born to the right family. It takes a lot of money to pay tuition cost for international students.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:51 PM

816 posts, read 969,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
But to this day in HS and College the six foot two inch, muscular white male who had a nice car, can drink and party is king of campus.
Wow. You are in danger of typecasting all white men as essentially sexually-promiscuous frat boys.
I have some white friends who don't quite fit the bill. You are also typecasting all asian men as diminutive prudes.

"King of campus?" Is that an official designation?

You can't seriously think that having a good time is somehow mutually exclusive to getting stellar jobs and being a straight A student. Thats not how I see high achievers around me, regardless of race and how much sex they are having with cheerleaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics