Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:46 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I tried to hire one but I Winged the Wong number
Quote:
Honestly, and I have a lot of Asian friends they have it much easy than white folks in getting good grades.

Why first their parents support education, most have no part time jobs, few do sports and do little house work. Being a student is there full time job.

Me in HS, in ninth grade for instance, I was on a team, had a part time job, had tons of chores at home and homework was something you squeezed in after nine pm if you had time and parents did not care about grades as long as it was B or higher.

Also this I never thought about until an Asian friend mentioned this to me. Drinking, Partying and hooking up with hot girls is not something a lot of Asian men cant do that often. My biggest distractions in college.

My friend who I only know as an adult not in college explained he had a very low threshold for drinking, 2-3 drinks tops, he is short around five foot five inch and perfectly average looking. The parties are all six foot plus white guys drinking like a fish partying grabbing the hot looking cheerleader types which he could never get so what was the point. He had asian girlfriends in college, but honestly it was like lets go to library study five hours get cup of tea and if not tired a two minute quickie. Honestly, the asian men main attraction to asian women is good grades and income potential not so much even looks.

I was a poor student barely hanging on and no way could I keep up with my Asian counterparts well rested and who studied ten times as much as me in a classroom.

But in a bar or a fight or sports it was another story. However, it is no longer game of thrones. Careers and money are based on GPA and education. But to this day in HS and College the six foot two inch, muscular white male who had a nice car, can drink and party is king of campus. Trouble is on graduation the asians now take all the best jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Depending on the program, graduate students are often on assistantships (for example, TAs).
I've only been associated with a few universities, but assistanships usually go to Ph.D. students, not Masters students. I'm not sure about Columbia, but where I was a graduate student there were only Masters student in select, usually more professionally-focused programs. Most of the Masters degrees were awarded as incidental degrees on the way to a Ph.D. Statistics may be one of the programs where Master's students are common. It's really hard to make a definitive statement without actual information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 AM

386 posts, read 366,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Bonus points if you can guess who the 2 Koreans, 1 Japanese, and 1 Taiwanese are
All possible sarcasm aside, you apparently missed the fact the graduate lists include more than 2 surnames of likely Korean origin, more than 1 surname of likely Japanese origin, and more than 1 surname likely to be associated with Taiwanese background. Just sayin'!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I've only been associated with a few universities, but assistanships usually go to Ph.D. students, not Masters students. I'm not sure about Columbia, but where I was a graduate student there were only Masters student in select, usually more professionally-focused programs. Most of the Masters degrees were awarded as incidental degrees on the way to a Ph.D. Statistics may be one of the programs where Master's students are common. It's really hard to make a definitive statement without actual information.
So you're saying that the data are messy. But how are the knee-jerks ever to fire off their pithy zingers if they have to stop to clean up the data first? Sounds like work that would be above their pay-grade in any case.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think it also depends on the TA responsibilities. There are some TAs that actually have significant lecture responsibilities, and those usually go to PhD students. In my CS grad program at a school similar to Columbia, there were also assistantships that were more grading, running labs and holding office hours. The latter one was often filled by Masters students.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
They are also paying full price for their educations, allowing schools like MIT to grant more scholarships to American kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
... 2) Even if they do pay full price, why would paying full price to Columbia allow MIT to grant more scholarships?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic but since you're probably not, more full paying students adds to a university's endowment fund which frees up more money for need based financial aid.
@WeHa, (a) the title of this thread is "OMG name list of new graduates of MA in statistics at Columbia University" (b) Hallouise opined the graduates (assuming many/most are from other countries) are paying full price tuition to Columbia, and then connected the dots to talk about MIT scholarships.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Sadly, they are taking American college seats from Americans who paid for their education.

Do they need help packing?
Americans wanted those seats and were qualified for them? Proof Please.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:25 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
I was driving to the university and using their computers early in the morning before students got up. I would go to my manufacturing job with awesome graphs and charts made with Excel. The company would not allow personal computers because the owner thought everybody would be playing Tetris which came with a Mac. This was in 1984. In 1987 our family Christmas present was a Mac SE. We spent $2,700 for the Mac and a dot matrix printer. That was a lot of money in 1987, but the efficiency in the mill took a big jump. Eventually, the company got a real computer and some "dumb terminals" all over the place.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
I doubt the authenticity of the list so checked Columbia's PhD student's list. Not as skewed as OP's list but it still very heavily skewed to repesent Asian students.

Department of Statistics - Ph.D. Students

Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Ummm most of these students coming to the USA for college are then forced to leave after graduation because of expiring student visas.
Not true. When I did my Masters, a good 35+ percentage of students in the class were Asians (mostly on student visa). About half of them returned home because they found equally lucrative jobs back home or had family business. The ones who decided to stay here got well paying jobs. Very few, maybe just one or two out of 40+ students, went back because of visa issues.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:35 AM

580 posts, read 777,704 times
Quote:
Honestly, and I have a lot of Asian friends they have it much easy than white folks in getting good grades.

Why first their parents support education, most have no part time jobs, few do sports and do little house work. Being a student is there full time job.

Me in HS, in ninth grade for instance, I was on a team, had a part time job, had tons of chores at home and homework was something you squeezed in after nine pm if you had time and parents did not care about grades as long as it was B or higher.

Also this I never thought about until an Asian friend mentioned this to me. Drinking, Partying and hooking up with hot girls is not something a lot of Asian men cant do that often. My biggest distractions in college.

My friend who I only know as an adult not in college explained he had a very low threshold for drinking, 2-3 drinks tops, he is short around five foot five inch and perfectly average looking. The parties are all six foot plus white guys drinking like a fish partying grabbing the hot looking cheerleader types which he could never get so what was the point. He had asian girlfriends in college, but honestly it was like lets go to library study five hours get cup of tea and if not tired a two minute quickie. Honestly, the asian men main attraction to asian women is good grades and income potential not so much even looks.

I was a poor student barely hanging on and no way could I keep up with my Asian counterparts well rested and who studied ten times as much as me in a classroom.

But in a bar or a fight or sports it was another story. However, it is no longer game of thrones. Careers and money are based on GPA and education. But to this day in HS and College the six foot two inch, muscular white male who had a nice car, can drink and party is king of campus. Trouble is on graduation the asians now take all the best jobs.
Lol. Or you just aren't very intelligent. Stereotypes are for the lazy-minded.

I lettered in two sports (3-year varsity football, tennis), played the piano, had a 4 point GPA (not too hard, 5 APs senior year) AND had a part time job. And still found time to party with friends in high-school and college.

My folks are well off, but I still had a part-time job through college in addition to juggling classes. Am a physician now.

But keep blaming others for your own failings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics