Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Pont View Post
If you're broke/desperate enough to be in those services or live with your parents it's doubtful you could afford those items individually especially with the oppressive taxes weighing you down like an elephant in a 747.
Im sorry, you started this thread because you were down on the companies that are providing the gigs. It seems that your real concern should be with the tax laws and not the people providing work. Not a single employer, partner, friend is going to want to pay taxes.

As far as the job's, I see those as second jobs. In my area people do those to supplement their income not to make it the primary source of income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 03:48 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
It accelerated a shift from W2 employment to 1099. 1099 employment has all the cons of self employment (unlimited liability, cruel double taxation, unpredictable pay, and quarterly tax payments) without any of the pros of working for an employer (benefits, better tax rate, eligibility for unemployment, etc.)
1099s work every day in fear of not making as much as yesterday, saving enough to meet their exorbitant tax rates, and the possibility of getting kicked off the platform for no reason.
I hope uber, lyft, doordash, fluc, taskrabbit, and all the other overvalued "gig economy" companies go out of business and their owners go into poverty.
well hoping the owners go into poverty is just being mean...

But.

otherwise I completely agree.

Uber is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the USA. In the race to the bottom the only winners are those holding the strings.

Uber is nothing more than a scam that has people working harder for less money than ever before....

oh and the BS about setting your own hours etc, is BS any taxi plate owner can set whatever hours they like ...

Uber and other McJobs destroy families, lessen life and make childhood bleak. Mcjobbing the USA had created the worst wealth gap we have seen in close to 100 years. Even the EU beats us everyday of every week when it comes to wealth gaps and social mobility.

We are destroying everything the USA was supposed to be, and all for a few people to be mega rich...

Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 PM

292 posts, read 725,621 times
All this rhetoric misses the point: with technology we have more decentralization. That challenges the taxi driver unions and the like. The same is going on with renting your own place from sites like airbnb. I'd rather have people who would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing in many cases driving around and being productive in this society and learn how to file their own taxes in a more systematic matter. The only crime I see going on right now is forcing fast food workers to an obscenely high arbitrary wage which will cause true unemployment and an acceleration of automation in their industry--especially in areas outside of large cities.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:23 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
well hoping the owners go into poverty is just being mean...

But.

otherwise I completely agree.

Uber is the poster child for everything that is wrong with the USA. In the race to the bottom the only winners are those holding the strings.

Uber is nothing more than a scam that has people working harder for less money than ever before....

oh and the BS about setting your own hours etc, is BS any taxi plate owner can set whatever hours they like ...

Uber and other McJobs destroy families, lessen life and make childhood bleak. Mcjobbing the USA had created the worst wealth gap we have seen in close to 100 years. Even the EU beats us everyday of every week when it comes to wealth gaps and social mobility.

We are destroying everything the USA was supposed to be, and all for a few people to be mega rich...
So, all those people who are doing Uber part time to supplement their income, or doing it while they're looking for a real job, or as a retirement activity, or who just like meeting new people and driving them places for money, are somehow being ripped off? And they're better off not working, and their passengers are better off paying more money for crappier service?

Such is the twisted logic of the liberal mindset. The liberal always knows best what's good for us. People aren't to be trusted to make their own economic decisions.

And this, folks, is what's wrong with our country. Get these liberals out of government and we'll have a richer, more prosperous society.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
All this rhetoric misses the point: with technology we have more decentralization. That challenges the taxi driver unions and the like. The same is going on with renting your own place from sites like airbnb. I'd rather have people who would otherwise be sitting around doing nothing in many cases driving around and being productive in this society and learn how to file their own taxes in a more systematic matter. The only crime I see going on right now is forcing fast food workers to an obscenely high arbitrary wage which will cause true unemployment and an acceleration of automation in their industry--especially in areas outside of large cities.
But at the same time, keeping low wages does decrease discretionary spending which will likely decrease sales and purchases of goods and services. That isn't good for an economy either.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So, all those people who are doing Uber part time to supplement their income, or doing it while they're looking for a real job, or as a retirement activity, or who just like meeting new people and driving them places for money, are somehow being ripped off? And they're better off not working, and their passengers are better off paying more money for crappier service?

Such is the twisted logic of the liberal mindset. The liberal always knows best what's good for us. People aren't to be trusted to make their own economic decisions.

And this, folks, is what's wrong with our country. Get these liberals out of government and we'll have a richer, more prosperous society.
Yeah , this logic just doesn't make sense. If they were getting ripped off and not getting paid what they agreed to get paid then people would stop driving for them. There are now people that have driven for Uber multiple years. Are they really that dumb to just continue being ripped off.
Also what is an example of a job that someone without a college degree can get that pays better than Uber? There are likely not too many of them.

Nobody is being forced to work for Uber. Anytime a company gets big it gets attacked.
McDonald's is evil because of the food they serve...but the mom and pop diner down the street serves the same food ..but that's ok.
Walmart is evil because it sells stuff from China too and doesn't pay it's employees well ...but the mom and pop little shop that sells stuff from China and maybe pays their employees less and no benefits is ok.

Uber is adding hundreds of thousands of drivers every month...
Uber Is Adding 'Hundreds Of Thousands' Of New Drivers Every Month

I guess they are all just idiots being scammed..

Old 09-14-2015, 09:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Quote:
It accelerated a shift from W2 employment to 1099. 1099 employment has all the cons of self employment (unlimited liability, cruel double taxation, unpredictable pay, and quarterly tax payments) without any of the pros of working for an employer (benefits, better tax rate, eligibility for unemployment, etc.)
1099s work every day in fear of not making as much as yesterday, saving enough to meet their exorbitant tax rates, and the possibility of getting kicked off the platform for no reason.
I hope uber, lyft, doordash, fluc, taskrabbit, and all the other overvalued "gig economy" companies go out of business and their owners go into poverty.
What an ignorant point of view. But whats more amazing is the vindictive, mean spirited hope that other humans have bad things happen to them. You are either a very, jealous man with no opportunities in a life that has passed you buy, or you are simply unable to adapt to anything new and outside your narrow comfort zone rooted in a traditional and oppressive employment hierarchy. I feel so sorry for you.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Greater employment flexibility, less government control, and increased competition in the market...so terrible for the economy.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Greater employment flexibility, less government control, and increased competition in the market...so terrible for the economy.
I see these companies as here to stay...more and more the trend seems to be that more people desire a more flexible work schedule.
People should be able to live their lives how they want. Sure you probably have to deal with annoying people sometimes with Uber I'm sure..but at least it's not like dealing with people that you have to work with in an office and deal with long term.
The drama, politics,meetings, etc.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:37 PM

105 posts, read 113,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I see these companies as here to stay...more and more the trend seems to be that more people desire a more flexible work schedule.
People should be able to live their lives how they want. Sure you probably have to deal with annoying people sometimes with Uber I'm sure..but at least it's not like dealing with people that you have to work with in an office and deal with long term.
The drama, politics,meetings, etc.
Who could possibly enjoy being on edge all the time? They can drop your contract if you fart in a car and the customer had a bad day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics