Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:32 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,171,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Company profits are at record highs and that money is sitting in the pockets of shareholders. Sorry, but it is time for the people who created those profits to get a raise!
Fixed it for you. A good way to get in on those profits is to invest.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:01 PM

806 posts, read 959,775 times
Low wage earners like fast food workers and Walmart employees are costing taxpayers $150 Billion per year in welfare. In other words, taxpayers are paying them a second salary to make up for the shortfall. This will continue as long as they are paid at poverty level.

By raising their pay to $15/hr, their entire salary would come out of corporate profits and executives' pockets, letting taxpayers off the hook. Why would any taxpayer oppose this?

Seems those who oppose pay raises are the same who believe non-skilled workers are beneath them so should be punished for not holding college degrees, even though many Billionaires don't hold one either. They seem unaware that many unskilled workers such as cashiers at Costco make over $20/hr and the company hasn't gone bankrupt, instead they are taking in record profits.

Gee, imagine that.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Low wage earners like fast food workers and Walmart employees are costing taxpayers $150 Billion per year in welfare. In other words, taxpayers are paying them a second salary to make up for the shortfall. This will continue as long as they are paid at poverty level.

By raising their pay to $15/hr, their entire salary would come out of corporate profits and executives' pockets, letting taxpayers off the hook. Why would any taxpayer oppose this?

Seems those who oppose pay raises are the same who believe non-skilled workers are beneath them so should be punished for not holding college degrees, even though many Billionaires don't hold one either. They seem unaware that many unskilled workers such as cashiers at Costco make over $20/hr and the company hasn't gone bankrupt, instead they are taking in record profits.

Gee, imagine that.
Only if corporations will not cut back on their workforce at all as a direct result.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:21 PM

250 posts, read 383,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How do those CEOs get those lucrative contracts? They get them because they bring some very specialized skills to the table.
What skills are those that is worth that amount of money?? Cops, firefighters, put their life on the line to help others yet they make much less than CEO's is that fair? no. They are over paid, and still paid if a company fails, makes no sense to me.

Last edited by pulse1000; 10-15-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 05:37 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,121,960 times
D
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
How is that possible? Did you only get D's in school?

The starting salary for a 21 year old accountant at a small company in the middle of NJ is $42k (just over $19/hr).

As far as your previous comment about it being "hard to move" and "hard to get transportation"- I never said life was easy. Go lease a Kia for $99 per month and that solves both problems- put your stuff in the Kia and drive it away from the city.

As far as where to work/live? Look up Old Bridge, NJ. There is a huge Walmart/Home Depot/many other chains, and there is an apartment complex called "Skytop Village" that had 1br apartments for $800/mo when I last looked. Grab a two bedroom for $1,100 and get a roommate and you're looking at a whopping $550/mo. Pay 550 + 99 + another $100 for insurance, and that's $750 for the monthly expenses. Throw in another couple hundred for utilities and food, and you're alive for another month for around $1,000. Work 45 hours a week at $10/hr and you've got an extra $800 each month to work with.

Go to Brookdale Community College about 20 minutes south and pay a whopping $5,700/yr in tuition (but don't pay a dime until you graduate), and you can have an accounting degree for $250/mo after you graduate. Get that accounting job paying $19/hr and you're off to a life of not complaining about how its everyone else's fault that your life stinks.
I got As and Bs actually. And I just finished the GMAT (and didn't do half bad) in case I want to go to grad school.

So juggle two part time jobs making $10 an hour and omit car payment, gas, insurance, health insurance, cloths to go to work, the random thing that breaks and has to be replaced. God forbid you want to have any aspect of a social life. What about if you have kids to feed? How does that fit into your algorithm? If we follow the model of that you shouldn't pay more than 1/3rd of your income on rent then your whole scenario cripples. What about if you medical issues? Many people have medical bills they have to pay.

You clearly aren't aware that entry level jobs in companies that people used to build careers out of have vanished. They are gone. More and more young, highly educated people such as myself are working for barely more than a fast food worker. We are also to gain from a minimum wage increase.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Fixed it for you. A good way to get in on those profits is to invest.
Hard to invest when every penny you make goes towards surviving.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Do you imagine I live on a different planet than you do?
I think that at times from some of you, honestly.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
You are working for lower than market wages. I think you should get your resume up to date and start looking.
Mine is the story of hundreds of thousands of millennial college graduates living in Florida. I'd rank my own survival as average around my peers.

Maybe things are better where you are, but I still can't find a job in my field down here wanting less than 3-5 years of experience. And employers would never hire an entry level candidate from out of state (if they did, that's a pretty stupid idea).

Old 10-15-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
What skills are those that is worth that amount of money?? Cops, firefighters, put their life on the line to help others yet they make much less than CEO's is that fair? no. They are over paid, and still paid if a company fails, makes no sense to me.
Corporations ruined this country.
If managing a huge corporation takes no skill, go and do it. Earn that money for yourself.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I think that at times from some of you, honestly.
Well I assure you, I live on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics