Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 02:11 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And here we go - the typical liberal reaction of ALWAYS. Who's the heartless one now, encouraging a system that guarantees more and more children being born to parents that can't support them, guaranteeing they too will grow up in poverty.

What now? Cut off everything from this point forward. Can you not see that by making exceptions, and not "blaming the kids" and the parents, you perpetuate the whole folly over and over and over? Let private charities help them. You know, those EVIL religious groups that help people, but the left is trying to abolish?
Private charities do not have the capacity to handle such dramatically increased demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Private charities do not have the capacity to handle such dramatically increased demand.
Yet you're making the argument that the same people that cannot possibly survive on welfare and public assistance will now be able to live on $12k a year, period.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yet you're making the argument that the same people that cannot possibly survive on welfare and public assistance will now be able to live on $12k a year, period.
I never said they cannot survive on the current system, now did I? I was only responding to posts that suggested you wanted neither BI nor welfare.

Maybe we just had a simple misunderstanding?

Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
I support basic income.... as long as having a vasectomy is a prerequisite.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So, in other words, you just rapidly expand the federal debt to the point that federal debt exceeds World GDP.

Got it.
No, it would not be federal debt. It would be monetized by the central bank.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:12 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
Sad, that you think taking and taking and taking, with no end, is extreme.

Taking extra IS stealing. Just because I have the resources, and you don't, doesn't mean I have to forcibly give them to YOU.

And no, they would most definitely not be starving. Because I never said they should get nothing at all. Quit putting words in my mouth. But let's also put the blame where it lies - with the parents having kids they can't afford.
Basic Income has nothing to do with stealing it has to taking care of people when robots take all the jobs. Is the only thing you can think about is someone stealing from someone else? Of course it is only stealing if the non rich do it it is just how it works if the rich take more money in your dilusionsl thinking.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If you are getting a ton of gov help then you aren't living on $2400/yr.

$8k/yr is all you get. Guess what, you might need to buy a bus ticket and move, if the place where you are living is too expensive and you can't get a job. There are plenty of places where rent is cheap enough to get by on that, and yes you can even find a job as well!

I spent a few months with homeless people in CA. Maybe they qualified for subsidized housing and just didn't bother. But I doubt it. All they got was foodstamps, no healthcare or anything else. It seemed that only women with dependents got more, and they got a lot more.
OK, I am getting $200 a month in cash for disability, $189 a month in food stamps, subsidized housing and Medicaid. Happy now? The bottom line is I am paying for my computer connection, my car insurance, my rent (utilities included), and everything else which includes gas, car maintenance, clothes, toilet paper, etc with that $200. You add it up.

But my point is, even it it comes in under $8000, I still need help to get by and I'm sure other people will as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That is totally meaningless due to the fungibility of money. In order for anyone to buy cigarettes at all, I propose you'd have to sign yourself into a "registry". Everyone on the "registry" would have to prove enrollment in an approved smoking cessation program in order to avoid having their BI suspended. I'd require them to prove this enrollment once each year to keep the BI. Give the first three smoking cessation attempts free, after that it's on them (deducted from BI check).
Maybe. But let's make sure it doesn't go the way drug testing for welfare recipients went. It ended up costing more money than it was worth and snagged very few drug users. The point with BI would be to save money, not to spend more of it.

Quote:
Um, I'm not a dude.

BI is just a pipe dream, and will never happen, so whoever "told you" that everyone was getting it is wrong.

Do you not see the ridiculousness of the BI argument? If folks get back what they put in, why not just let them keep it in the first place? Well, unless you're a lazy millennial that thinks you can live on a pittance and strum your guitar all day while smoking weed. Then, you'd think it's a brilliant idea, I'm guessing?
Fine, duDETTE! It's just a figure of speech, anyway.

First of all, I posted that BI, IF it were given to people, would be based on income and I was corrected by another poster here saying it would be given to everyone, regardless of income. So don't argue with me, go argue with him. Because if he's right, then my post to you was right.

Secondly, I am almost 60 years old, I've worked since I left home at 17 until I became disabled in 2009, so no, I'm definitely not a millennial. And I don't smoke weed. I don't think I can live on a pittance, I CAN live on a pittance and I know from experience, it's very difficult. Try buying one tank of gas every month or so and sitting at home going nowhere for weeks on end. Personally, I would lose if there was a BI. I had an aneurysm two years ago that would have killed me if I hadn't had Medicaid. If I knew I wasn't covered, I never would have gone into the hospital. That's what happens to people when they can't afford their insurance. They die. Old news to people like myself before Obamacare came along. Guess the rest of you never had to think about that. Lucky you.

I still say BI would never work. Again, to restate my post, I think it'll be fine for the first couple of years but after that when it's only raised incrementally while rents continue to skyrocket, it wouldn't be worth anything. I see a point where a person could be receiving BI and be working full time and still not able to afford rent.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:45 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But my point is, even it it comes in under $8000, I still need help to get by and I'm sure other people will as well.
Only because you are spending too much. A BI shouldn't be expected to pay you to live wherever you want however you want (ie private apartment). I've only enjoyed that luxury for 1 year out of my long life.

Quote:
I still say BI would never work. Again, to restate my post, I think it'll be fine for the first couple of years but after that when it's only raised incrementally while rents continue to skyrocket, it wouldn't be worth anything.
Rents aren't skyrocketing in very many parts of the country! Move!

Plus, don't all government benefits have COL adjustments? The main reason for a BI is to cover tech unemployment. It makes sense to increase it by at least GDP level in the beginning (which is higher than COL) and increase it further based on the level of tech unemployment. So 50 years from now when hardly anyone is employable, the BI will be 50% of GDP. That would be $28k/yr in today's money.

Last edited by rruff; 03-12-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 11:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,556,659 times
It would be free printed money.

Not hard earned dollars

Old 03-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
It would be free printed money.

Not hard earned dollars
Which reduces the purchasing power of hard earned dollars. Same result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics