Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:56 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
It's generally a waste of time and money. My sister has tried just about everything...she is in quite a bit of debt now and had to move back in with my mom. With the amount of time she wasted on these get rich quick schemes, she could have gotten a traditional job, made money, and been better off.
Some of them actually do provide some information. I would never expect to get rich off it alone, but it can be useful. I've only seen two of these schemes myself....

Don Lapre's "Making Money"
I read the information, and found it COULD be useful. The problem with it was that it was very obvious. "get rich by placing tiny little ads", lol. Sounds great, but what are you selling? That's the key to the whole thing, and Don of course doesn't really provide that Any of the information found in the "course" can easily be obtained with a little legwork.

Carlton Sheets - RE
I didn't read ALL the materials, but I spent about 5 hours total on it before I gave it back. Nothing special about the information, but it IS all in one place. If you're going to get into RE investing for the first time, this course along with a HUGE grain of salt might not be a bad thing to look over. Again, you can find this stuff without the course if you do your research. The question is how much is your time worth to do the research vs. the cost of the "course."

The key to any of these "courses" is doing your research on the author. Did they ever actually make any money using their own material? Most of them haven't. They only make money on people's hopes and dreams.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
I can remember my husbands parents, sister and cousin all getting involved in a pyramid sceme on LI back in the 80's. You needed to put $1,000. up front with the promise to get over $10,000. after suckering a few more people in the scheme. They had meetings weekly with high pressure to get more people to come in so you could move up the ladder. They tried to talk us into it and I couldn't beleive that my husband's entire family was so.....stupid! These were people I considered smart! Well, they all got burned and a few people ended up in jail.
Some crazy things I have thought of...
crocheting funky hats and selling them on e-bay.....seems easy
Hey, how many childrens books have we all read and said, "I could write that!"
House cleaning, where I live there is a big demand for good housekeepers. I just don't like to clean and certainly don't want anyone hovering over watching me clean.
And finally, if I see that Joy Mangano on QVC with one more thing that is just making her millions by the minute I'm going to hang myself on one of her hanger clips!!!! I'm so jealous of this woman!!
Honestly, my husband works his a-- off 18 hours a day and I work 30 hrs a week to provide for our family. We have not found an easy way yet, but at least it is teaching our kids to be hard workers. I know for sure that neither of my 2 daughters will end up with a lazy guy looking to make himself rich quick with no work involved.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 AM

31 posts, read 213,177 times
I know this is an older post, but I need to comment.
Everyone is correct - there is no such thing as getting rich quick or making money by doing nothing.

SURVEYS. Do not pay for anything. You don't need to. There is a great site, which I can't remember right now, where the person went through the companies and said what they paid and if they paid. I'll try to find it.
Many just give points, gift certificates or enter you in to drawings and don't pay cash.
You can look at surveypolice.com for a list of companies. It doesn't give much to go on. There's many on the site I stay away from. Pine Cone is great, but it's almost impossible to get invited, you have to run across a banner. $5 a survey
ACO is good
Stay away from Panda.
If you want to make easy cash for your opinion, surf the net for companies in your area that do focus groups. Sign up with them. If you qualify and hour to 2 hr group at their site can pay $75, $100, or $125

Someone made a comment about
"Then there are the "legal" pyramid schemes, like Amway. It's called "direct marketing", and there's a wealth of information on the Internet about it. Only a very few people make any money at all."
This is a pet peeve of mine. People fear what they do not understand.
ok, direct marketing. There are pyramid or ponzi schemes and network marketing - some are MLMs
Pyramid and Ponzis are illegal. They are scams where only the few top people make money.
Network marketing companies do not advertise, they sell by word of mouth. The best advertising method out there. They have people sell products and bring in other people to sell. This is not evil.
I believe Avon and Tupperware were both network marketing companies and most people don't run screaming at those names. The problem with Amway and others is that bad reps messed people over and left a bad taste in everyones mouth.
Network marketing companies are very legitamit, but you have to read things carefully. MLMs (multi-level marketing) are not the best to get involved with. The people above you make more off your work than you do. In network marketing, you make the most money off your work.
Your experience really depends on the people above you, and if you don't like them, you don't work with them.

Network marketing is one of the best ways a little guy can get ahead.
The way it's been done is changing.
If you want to learn about different companies, find out the compensation plans, and find out what it would really take to make the amount you'd like to, you should check out www.networkmarketingcentral.com There are people from many different companies who are glad to talk with you or sell you products without trying to get you to "join the cult."

I am a network marketer. I do it because I love the products and I want to share them, and yes, I would like to make money. But I'm with the new school. I don't hound people, or talk people into it or do therapy. If someone's not enthusiastic about the business, I don't want them or need them. I'm also happy with just customers. If someone just wants product, I don't even bring up the business. All I'm doing is building up a base of customers like AOL does so I can get a monthly income, and yet, no horn or tail have sprouted yet.
I have an "alternative network marketing" site that lays it all out right in front of you. If you can deal with these things, this might be for you. If you can't, you should look elsewhere. I'll be the first one to tell a person they should look for paid jobs like typing, if that's what they are looking for.
If anyone would like to look at my site, I welcome it. You can judge for yourself.

Tabitha

Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 AM

31 posts, read 213,177 times
oh and I forgot - if you're looking at a direct marketing company and there is no product, they just want you to recruit - run away!

Old 04-03-2007, 03:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Exclamation Nope-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Get rich quick, how much truth is there to easy money? This is the big question. I saw a bunch of websites selling programs for around $50. It may be a book, CD, seminiar, website, etc. They claim you can make a thousand a day or a million a year, whatever. Dad thinks its a s-c-a-m, I say its legit but an exaggeration meaning ill make alot less but still make something! One website talks of how companies pay big money for you to fill out surveys or critisize their products. The website explains that companies need a product that customers will find popular, hence the surveys! How much do those surveys pay in reality? Ill be happy to get $5 for filling a quick survey with my opinion!

Another website claims by filling forms and advertizing for companies, you can make hundreds a day! How much truth is there? Ill be happy to make $20 every hour I work!

Has any of you given those "get rich quick" programs a try and how well did it work? What was the reality like? Did you still make enough money? Personally I will be happy to make at least $100 a day, $3000 a month or $30k a year(300 days of work a year) I know that there is money to be made online, but how much money for how much work? That income can supplement my freelance graphics design income.
Okay- there are zero laws protecting you from scams on the internet. Be careful. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Also- remember the Carleton Sheets real estate scam thing (first send him 99.00-lol) .

sunny

Old 04-06-2007, 06:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
In Ohio, there's a radio ad running promising you 'big money" if you get into internet auctions (e Bay, etc.) The ad says" Earn money on goods that you don't have to purchase, store, or ship. I grossed over $100,000 in sales..." Well, even my pea brain knows that your gross income and net income have no relation to each other; I know plenty of owner/operator truckers that gross over $100,000. And many net less than $30K/year...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Lightbulb lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
In Ohio, there's a radio ad running promising you 'big money" if you get into internet auctions (e Bay, etc.) The ad says" Earn money on goods that you don't have to purchase, store, or ship. I grossed over $100,000 in sales..." Well, even my pea brain knows that your gross income and net income have no relation to each other; I know plenty of owner/operator truckers that gross over $100,000. And many net less than $30K/year...
ebay is hit or miss. You can buy something interesting there- but other than that- forget it!- Also be careful of Paypal- alot of credit card fraud is perpetuated through those unsecure sites!

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 04-06-2007 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
ebay is hit or miss. You can buy something interesting there- but other than that- forget it!- Also be careful of Paypal- alot of credit card fraud is perpetuated through those unsecure sites!

sunny
Sunny, can't agree with you more. I look on ebay for my hobby stuff, but don't think I'll ever take the plunge and buy anything. There's so many other face-to-face ways to buy the things that I want!

Old 04-07-2007, 10:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I've *never* had a problem with buying anything off Ebay. The only hitch, which was minor, was when I bought all 158 episodes of the original Twilight Zone series. The guy represented them as being like Columbia House or something, when in reality he videotaped them off his own TV set and sold them to me. I did get them, and they were watchable, but he did misrepresent what they were. I left negative feedback for the misrepresentation and in retaliation he left negative for me. But that guy was banned from selling on Ebay and I am still there, so I don't worry about it. You have to buy from people who have mostly positive feedback - especially if you are going to spend a lot of money. I bought a classic musclecar off Ebay and didn't have any problems with that transaction whatsoever and that was the most expensive thing I had ever purchased from there.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:32 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
I buy and sell on ebay all the time and have never had a problem. In fact I've set up several Paypal shopping carts and also never had a problem with transactions. Of course with the millions if not billions of transactions going through their system there are going to be scammers or some problems. They practice very strong security policies, to the point it's sometimes a pain in the neck to use them. Better safe than sorry. Even if you use ebay to make money, it's not a get rich quick way to do it. It's a lot of work to take quality pics, research the product, compare prices with other people selling the same item and then write a good, decriptive page about what your selling. There are thousands of people making a living just selling things on ebay and anyone can do it, but you have to really know what your doing or learn. You also need an in demand product and give excellent customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics