Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
There's been a lot of discussion of Universal Basic Income. One version of UBI that's been floated is the concept of a National Dividend. The idea is to tax a small percentage of the economy, perhaps with a VAT and a wealth tax as well, and use it to fund a National Dividend that pays a lump sum to every adult. That dividend could be tied to GDP growth: in good years you get a dividend check, in bad years, none. This would mean the entire population would have "skin in the game." We would all have an interest in the health of the US economy.
I am a right-of-center capitalist, and I like this idea. But you do have to first "fix" immigration (aka citizenship) in order to offer this National Dividend.

The more goodies we tie to citizenship (which does appear to be the direction/ leanings of our up-and-coming political class), the more important is it to clearly define who is and how does one become a US citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 03:25 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I am a right-of-center capitalist, and I like this idea. But you do have to first "fix" immigration (aka citizenship) in order to offer this National Dividend.

The more goodies we tie to citizenship (which does appear to be the direction/ leanings of our up-and-coming political class), the more important is it to clearly define who is and how does one become a US citizen.
Which is why it would never go through.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Not all billionaires are hoarding their riches. Some of them have always shared a lot of it, established charitable foundations or donated to worthy causes. George Soros and Warren Buffet come to mind. Bill Gates has made arrangements to disperse most of his wealth, during or following his life. Even Phil Knight has been investing a lot of his money in projects at our university.

Just because the billionaire who gets the most news coverage, has abused his position and skimmed money for himself out of his bogus charitable foundation, doesn't mean we should paint all the others with the same brush.

I do agree that our society would be better, if wealth was not concentrated in the hands of so few.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:51 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Why vilify billionaires, after that it’s going to come down to millionaires, then the thousandaires. Give it a break, LA times.
Also, any country on earth would gladly accept our billionaires and millionaires holding their wealth and assets in their country.

So lets not crucify the wealthy in this country.

The Warren Buffet and Bill Gates of our country have already pledged a lot of their money to charities.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Yes, poor people the world over create jobs, start businesses, invest in innovative technology, donate to charity, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I've been avoiding this because of the ridiculous title but it seems to hang on so I decided to peek in. Can't go much further than page one.
I just got my taxes done, something I dreaded with all the negative hype. I was very pleasantly surprised! My tax lady said it's been going that was. Everyone is surprised.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,082,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've been avoiding this because of the ridiculous title but it seems to hang on so I decided to peek in. Can't go much further than page one.
I just got my taxes done, something I dreaded with all the negative hype. I was very pleasantly surprised! My tax lady said it's been going that was. Everyone is surprised.
My wife and I are getting ours done next Friday. Not sure how it's going to go as my wife has her own business and she netted a fair amount, plus our combined income was about $40-50k higher than last year. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised as well but not counting on it.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
You can have a less equal society that is not based on making money.

Domination is different from what I'm talking about.

So in Sumeria for example, the money used in Sumeria was used for trade, not wages. That is fundamentally different.
That's because slaves were used to do work.

If their system was so superior, why isn't it still in existence?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:02 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's because slaves were used to do work.

If their system was so superior, why isn't it still in existence?
Lol, who said it was superior?

The question was whether or not money itself was a unique affect of the wage economy.

I pointed out Sumeria to say money within a society does not have to be as such.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
How does it profit a man to gain the world, but lose his soul?
There's a product for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Tile-Pro-Repl.../dp/B07GLXY253
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics