Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 04:06 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Let me laugh......ha ha ha. Covid vaccine drugs may take years to study and see if there are long term effects and they may not work on everyone. So far such drugs don't have a great record. We need solid science (like what are the long term side effect, does it work on all the strains, what is the survivability numbers, does it mask the symptoms or actually lowers the viral load, etc.)

What is needed is drugs that can help current Covid patients. As usual the US government is blowing billions financing the riskiest and most unlikely vaccine ideas that should take years in development and testing rather than treatments in the near term.

Good Luck!
And there are just such treatments closer on the medical horizon. That being monoclonal antibodies. And they will start to emerge soon for clinical use. The AB's are man made and essentially copies of what nature does in our bodies while fighting infections.

It is true that long term proof of safety cannot be done for the AB's or the vaccines, as we have too many people at serious risk. So the general younger and healthier public can wait quite some time before getting these new vaccines. In fact they will have to wait until millions of HC workers, nursing home patients, and other seniors and those with pre-existing get first dibs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 04:24 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And there are just such treatments closer on the medical horizon. That being monoclonal antibodies. And they will start to emerge soon for clinical use. The AB's are man made and essentially copies of what nature does in our bodies while fighting infections.

It is true that long term proof of safety cannot be done for the AB's or the vaccines, as we have too many people at serious risk. So the general younger and healthier public can wait quite some time before getting these new vaccines. In fact they will have to wait until millions of HC workers, nursing home patients, and other seniors and those with pre-existing get first dibs.
I'm 56 in great shape etc. The first day I am able to take a CV-19 vaccine I will. I've lived a great life and taking a little risk to help the young people in my life is a tiny price to pay.

I love that guy's line, "so far vaccines don't have a great track record." Hmmmm, polio, tetanus, diphtheria, measles, chickenpox, mumps and of course smallpox and others. I'll leave flu out because it's too tough to explain to medical flat-earthers why flu vaccines have been very helpful to humanity.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Covid is only "such a lethal virus" to an small segment of our population. The overall fatality rate is somewhere south of 0.4%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You are off by an order of magnitude.

As of today, CDC reports just 136,938 deaths out of 3,483,832 cases. That is a mortality rate of a bit over 3.9%.
This is why when I see posters posting stats, my eyes glaze over ...

Mortality Analyses

u.s. 3.7%

This years flu numbers are in:

Between October 1, 2019 and April 4, 2020, according to the CDC, the flu has resulted in:

39 million to 56 million illnesses
410,000 to 740,000 hospitalizations
24,000 to 62,000 total deaths
169 pediatric deaths

Changes to our economy? People are going to milk this situation for every dime they can get out of the u.s. government. I don't blame 'em, it is after all their tax dollars, however, the government had already spent their tax dollars decades ago, and so what they are getting are i.o.u.s

30% of the brick and mortar stores were already closing due to Amazon and the like, plus with all the self-check out in the remaining --- people were losing their jobs in retail, along with food service and call centers anyway ... the industry not already affected was that of Entertainment, they are now thrown into the mix.

u.s. maintaining sovereignty as the u.s. debt continues to climb, as this crisis continues to consume, should be a concern, imo, but I guess I am alone in that.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:15 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Case numbers are unreliable because testing is not universal.

The only reliable numbers are deaths per total population.
Not if those reporting those number reported of people who died of (example) a heart attack as Covid deaths.

Funding relief increases in the amount of Covid reported cases and deaths.

When people tie money to something, nothing can be believed.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:34 PM

191 posts, read 91,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
This is why when I see posters posting stats, my eyes glaze over ...

Mortality Analyses

u.s. 3.7%

This years flu numbers are in:

Between October 1, 2019 and April 4, 2020, according to the CDC, the flu has resulted in:

39 million to 56 million illnesses
410,000 to 740,000 hospitalizations
24,000 to 62,000 total deaths
169 pediatric deaths

Changes to our economy? People are going to milk this situation for every dime they can get out of the u.s. government. I don't blame 'em, it is after all their tax dollars, however, the government had already spent their tax dollars decades ago, and so what they are getting are i.o.u.s

30% of the brick and mortar stores were already closing due to Amazon and the like, plus with all the self-check out in the remaining --- people were losing their jobs in retail, along with food service and call centers anyway ... the industry not already affected was that of Entertainment, they are now thrown into the mix.

u.s. maintaining sovereignty as the u.s. debt continues to climb, as this crisis continues to consume, should be a concern, imo, but I guess I am alone in that.

I've had the flu and I can go get to the doctor and get a prescription for a drug to lessen the symptoms and duration. Comparing COVID to flu just shows ignorance.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB12 View Post
I've had the flu and I can go get to the doctor and get a prescription for a drug to lessen the symptoms and duration. Comparing COVID to flu just shows ignorance.
Maybe we need to repeat now and again that the 'flu' is not necessarily Influenza. There are stomach and respiratory 'flus'. And then there is Influenza mainly respiratory, which can be much more serious. Tamiflu may be helpful if taken early.

Covid 19 is worse than current Influenza since people all over the world don't have much built in resistance or immunity. And of course we have no vaccine yet. We will get there.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post

Covid 19 is worse than current Influenza since people all over the world don't have much built in resistance or immunity. And of course we have no vaccine yet. We will get there.
Not in the lifetime of some that are reading this thread. Maybe 20% or so will croak from some issue before we (USA) has an accessible Covid 19 vaccine.. Are you sure you are in the 80%? No, none of us are
But if we were to be waiting in one of the many countries who have done MUCH better, 90+% will survive until a vaccine, and their governments may make sure they get an initial dose before the rationed shipments depart to USA

Old 07-22-2020, 02:06 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
That's a bit harsh. Love making talk: "You have the most beautiful mask I've ever seen."

It will become the new nudity.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not in the lifetime of some that are reading this thread. Maybe 20% or so will croak from some issue before we (USA) has an accessible Covid 19 vaccine.. Are you sure you are in the 80%? No, none of us are
But if we were to be waiting in one of the many countries who have done MUCH better, 90+% will survive until a vaccine, and their governments may make sure they get an initial dose before the rationed shipments depart to USA
I'm a recently retired internist, recovered covid 19 patient, and doc/caregiver to my wife. The most complicated of covid 19 patients. It is quite likely the world will have useful vaccines within a year. Possibly starting this calendar year. And monoclonal AB Rx's before that, very likely ending many of the Covid 19 death sentences before a vaccine takes charge. 100's of labs all over the world are working furiously towards these endpoints. I'm betting huge money on our, your, the USA's and the world's success.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:34 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,925 times
U.S. agrees to pay Pfizer and BioNTech $2 billion for 100 million doses of coronavirus vaccine
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/us-g...s-vaccine.html

This is how large companies can rip off taxpayers. Even if this vaccine is fast tracked, it will likely not last long and will not adapt to increasing amounts of various strains.

All we need right now is not a vaccine but a treatment that doesn't result in death.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics