Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 05:42 PM

21 posts, read 51,843 times

Advertisements

When the pandemic begins to settle down - 2022-23 - by then land and the housing market, which is our most profitable commodity, will have continued to be bought out by larger investment companies. They will continue to buy up and rent out. In the built-up areas (cities) apartments will only continue to increase in rent. There are some people who will never recover from this economically, period.

When the moratorium on eviction expires - those who have lost jobs, no more credit available to them, and are ripe for eviction will be out on the street and possibly moving in with family or friends for good. Simply because they can't make up back payments of rent or mortgage. Meanwhile the landlords will increase the rents to try to make up their losses during the pandemic. Those evicted people/families won't move out of the USA simply because they won't have the funds - nor the job or language skills to secure jobs in another country.

Address the issue of taxes - where do some think the stimulus checks are coming from? Gift from the Government? HA! Take a look at the Federal Budget and how deep the country is in debt. Taxpayers will have to burden that responsibility. It won't happen in 2021 - but, you better believe it will steadily go up during the next probable 5 yrs following.

Health care / insurance cost will have to increase. More uninsured on many levels.

As a retired citizen I'm in a good place financially - as both of my adult children and their families. But, my heart aches for so many who aren't as fortunate. I never felt I would be a doomsayer - however, our country has a rough and long economic recovery ahead - and that recovery won't be for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 05:49 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,935,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Look at housing and stock prices.

Our property is a hot commodity. Our stock market won’t slow for any force of nature.

My conclusion:

There is simply no better place on earth to live than the United States of America in 2020. There has never been anywhere better to live as far as having access to so much with such a high degree of upward mobility for even people with no skill following simple practical financial advice.

The US empire is just getting started.

I wouldn't be so confidant if I were you. Enjoy what you do have and be thankful for it. But you do not know what the future holds, nor does anyone else. America's greatness as a place to live is not a fact of life. It happens to be what it is now but that is in no way written in stone.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:01 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,451,154 times
Quote:
I disagree. People like Bernie Sanders like to preach this but it’s actually just a cheap attempt at dividing people based on class. The poor and young are constantly preached to about how bad they have it and how voting Democratic will fix things.

I personally piggy backed on my parents success and within 3 generations we went farmers/Appalachian poverty/outhouses (grandparents)....to middle class....to millionaire. My grandparents were born in the 20s so under 100 years from their birth to now — a drop in the bucket historically speaking.
My story is not much different than yours. But things are vastly different now than they were when I was 20 (I'm 48, BTW). It's not just something people like Bernie Sanders make up. It's actual facts and figures.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/

Old 12-25-2020, 06:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,884,047 times
Generation X didn't move into adulthood in the greatest economic conditions unless you had certain skill sets, but at least the cost of living was relatively low in most metros in the 90s and while we often had some student loans, they were typically a fraction of what so many Kids These Days start out with now. It's easy to understand who so many twentysomethings are still living at home. It's often because they're trying to be financially responsible and by the time the loan payments are made and the 401K is maxed out, you might as well live in your own room at your parents' house than rent a bedroom in an apartment with multiple roommates. (The one bedroom private apartment is often too much of a stretch in so many places for that cohort where the jobs are these days after other financial obligations are met) It's cheaper, and your parents are usually less likely to steal your stuff out of the communal fridge.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:20 PM

761 posts, read 317,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My story is not much different than yours. But things are vastly different now than they were when I was 20 (I'm 48, BTW). It's not just something people like Bernie Sanders make up. It's actual facts and figures.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/
What fact and figure negates the fact that one can make a living on low wages in the most powerful country in the world. Take a couple making $15/hr for example — they can live like kings.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,447,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Have you lived and worked outside the USA?

Do you pay full price for your own health Care?

How many dependents do you support?

USA is ok, but no longer top dog.
OP could stand a slight revision. “If you’ve already gained some traction ... “ as a preface

Old 12-25-2020, 06:30 PM

761 posts, read 317,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
OP could stand a slight revision. “If you’ve already gained some traction ... “ as a preface
The same principles that delivered my parents/grandparents from poverty in America 40-50 years ago still work today. All about choices.

Last edited by 87Camarottop; 12-25-2020 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-26-2020, 12:18 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,401,439 times
Quote:
Look at housing and stock prices.

Our property is a hot commodity. Our stock market won’t slow for any force of nature.

My conclusion:

There is simply no better place on earth to live than the United States of America in 2020. There has never been anywhere better to live as far as having access to so much with such a high degree of upward mobility for even people with no skill following simple practical financial advice.

The US empire is just getting started.

I've lived in WA, WY, AZ MS and NY but I don't live in US anymore.

Sorry to say, I wouldn't want to live in your country today. There is too much unrest. It's gotten dangerous, greedy, violent and radical. People are carrying guns.Ordinary people aren't cared for. Homelessness is an epidemic. Gang and gun violence is rampant. There's wide spread racial discrimination. Capitalism runs wild.

Not saying those things aren't present in other countries but the intensity of it in the USA is out of control.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:31 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,401,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The 100 miles to the border thing is largely because of climate-you can't farm in many places much north of that because you just don't get a decent growing season, so the handful of people who go further than that are typically in the oil and gas industry or choosing to live a traditional First Nations lifestyle.

And when you get so many cities that close to the border, you get natural movement of goods and people. Do you know how many generations of young adults in metro Detroit took serious advantage of Ontario's drinking age of 19...

That's just silly. You don't honestly mean anything you said, do you? Canada is every bit as modern and advanced as the USA . In prairie provinces crops are grown in great quantities several hundred miles north of the the border. Canadians live close to the border because it is the route of the original east to west rail line built 1885. It doesn't have anything to do with climate.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:35 AM

5,908 posts, read 4,445,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
That's just silly. You don't honestly mean anything you said, do you? Canada is every bit as modern and advanced as the USA . In prairie provinces crops are grown in great quantities several hundred miles north of the the border. Canadians live close to the border because it is the route of the original east to west rail line built 1885. It doesn't have anything to do with climate.
Exactly. It’s based purely on economics and the fact Canadiens are so integrated with America. The border is an imaginary line. That’s why it’s so insane that there’s always this Canada versus America debate on Internet forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics