Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 02:32 PM

761 posts, read 316,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Apparently China GDP will top the USA by 2028.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/26/chin...ys-report.html

The 20th century was America's. It looks like the 21st will be China's. All dynasties falter at some point.
I’m sorry but you’ll be right back here in 8 years saying the same thing.

Hell, I bet 90% of China’s population would gladly trade their lot in life for an American middle class existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 03:46 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
I’m sorry but you’ll be right back here in 8 years saying the same thing.

Hell, I bet 90% of China’s population would gladly trade their lot in life for an American middle class existence.
It is exactly the rise in the Chinese middle class, which has driven the rise. Go to China. In many parts it is much more modern, much more capitalist, much more innovative, and much more entrepreneurial than the USA is. What they have done is only matched with the recovery Germany had after WW2. And they started way further back.

Reality is reality. It concerns me, but I won't deny it.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:05 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It is exactly the rise in the Chinese middle class, which has driven the rise. Go to China. In many parts it is much more modern, much more capitalist, much more innovative, and much more entrepreneurial than the USA is. What they have done is only matched with the recovery Germany had after WW2. And they started way further back.

Reality is reality. It concerns me, but I won't deny it.
Every few decades, we hear about this or that country that is supposed to “overtake” the United States. In the 1960s, it was the Soviet Union. In the 1980s, it was Japan. Now, it is China that is the latest flavor of the month.

All I can say is this too shall come to pass.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Every few decades, we hear about this or that country that is supposed to “overtake” the United States. In the 1960s, it was the Soviet Union. In the 1980s, it was Japan. Now, it is China that is the latest flavor of the month.

All I can say is this too shall come to pass.
And how many Americans are clamoring to live in China?

China has no place in this discussion.

Their existence as the world’s leader is total vaporware.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Forget China, even in the UAE. Millennial Americans can only dream of being paid almost six figures to go to college vs having to take out 6 figures loans here to attend college.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:04 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Not at all.

Still plenty of places a couple can get a 30 year mortgage on a small 3br for ~$800/month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Link?
Poster is charging a $40,000 finders fee for the information on where you can find homes cheap and live like a king on $15 an hour.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 12-29-2020 at 05:23 AM..

Old 12-29-2020, 05:46 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,217,132 times
I’ve read this whole thread... honestly I’ve never visited another country but I’ve traveled to a lot of places within the US.

First off, OP seems VERY out of touch with reality. He sounds like a salesman of some sort, probably a loan officer. Either way I don’t like him.

Second off, we definitely are still living in the land of opportunity but after seeing how much of our freedoms have been taken away from this flu virus going around called Covid it really scares me how much power the federal and state governments have.

America’s best days are behind. We are past our golden era. Not saying it’s all doom and gloom in the future but look around at our country, almost half the people are just fat and probably more then half depend on pharmaceuticals. I can’t really compare “well being” factors with other countries, that being said I don’t think we should be that proud of ourselves if we are just looking in our own mirror.

Artificially low interest rates have created an even bigger bubble then in 08, the stock market is out of touch with reality, and there’s never been so much debt of all kinds before as of right now. Our dollar which use to be backed by gold is now just Monopoly money essentially, and it sure won’t be the world’s reserve currency forever!

Minus all the ugly concrete jungles aka cities and commercial strip malls everywhere, America has a ton of natural beauty, national parks and diversity all here within our borders. That, I’m thankful for. I’m also thankful for our military so other countries don’t mess with us.

All in all it’s a big world and once you get use to a certain way of life it’s hard to break that sense of familiarity even if there’s a better quality of life somewhere outside the US.

Everything is all relative of course, and instead of worrying about how other countries are doing we should focus on how much we need to improve and fix on ourselves, because there’s a lot.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 12-29-2020 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I’ve read this whole thread... honestly I’ve never visited another country but I’ve traveled to a lot of places within the US.

First off, OP seems VERY out of touch with reality. He sounds like a salesman of some sort, probably a loan officer. Either way I don’t like him.

Second off, we definitely are still living in the land of opportunity but after seeing how much of our freedoms have been taken away from this flu virus going around called Covid it really scares me how much power the federal and state governments have.

America’s best days are behind. We are past our golden era. Not saying it’s all doom and gloom in the future but look around at our country, almost half the people are just fat and probably more then half depend on pharmaceuticals. I can’t really compare “well being” factors with other countries, that being said I don’t think we should be that proud of ourselves if we are just looking in our own mirror.

Artificially low interest rates have created and even bigger bubble then in 08, the stock market is out of touch with reality, and there’s never been so much debt of all kinds before as of right now. Our dollar which use to backed by gold is now just Monopoly money essentially, and it sure won’t be the world’s reserve currency forever!

Minus all the ugly concrete jungles aka cities and commercial strip malls everywhere, America has a ton of natural beauty, national parks and diversity all here within our borders. That, I’m thankful for. I’m also thankful for our military so other countries don’t mess with us.

All in all it’s a big world and once you get use to a certain way of life it’s hard to break that sense of familiarity even if there’s a better quality of life somewhere outside the US.

Everything is all relative of course, and instead of worrying about how other countries are doing we should focus on how much we need to improve and fix on ourselves, because there’s a lot.
It honestly sounds like you ha e an axe to grind.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:08 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Look at housing and stock prices.

Our property is a hot commodity. Our stock market won’t slow for any force of nature.

My conclusion:

There is simply no better place on earth to live than the United States of America in 2020. There has never been anywhere better to live as far as having access to so much with such a high degree of upward mobility for even people with no skill following simple practical financial advice.

The US empire is just getting started.
If you are skilled/talented or just plain lucky and can get enough money to pay for your home and other expenses (including healthcare) along with investing in the market, yes the US is good. I'd consider my household to be in that situation.

But, if you're not advantaged and are just getting by (the majority of Americans), it can be a tough place to live. The fact is that with your healthcare tied to your job, you could lose your job and be plain out of luck. You run the risk of huge medical bills/expenses. In addition, there isn't much of a social safety net like other countries, such as mandatory paid family leave, significant COVID financial support (you can see the battle in congress) and other things you find in developed countries.

Bottom line, the US is great for the wealthy and those who are ascendant. This probably equates to 10-25% of the population. You can really shoot for the stars here and if you make it, you can do better than most other countries. For the poor, working class and now middle class, there is more equality elsewhere, which provides a better quality of life.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:27 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If you are skilled/talented or just plain lucky and can get enough money to pay for your home and other expenses (including healthcare) along with investing in the market, yes the US is good. I'd consider my household to be in that situation.

But, if you're not advantaged and are just getting by (the majority of Americans), it can be a tough place to live. The fact is that with your healthcare tied to your job, you could lose your job and be plain out of luck. You run the risk of huge medical bills/expenses. In addition, there isn't much of a social safety net like other countries, such as mandatory paid family leave, significant COVID financial support (you can see the battle in congress) and other things you find in developed countries.

Bottom line, the US is great for the wealthy and those who are ascendant. This probably equates to 10-25% of the population. You can really shoot for the stars here and if you make it, you can do better than most other countries. For the poor, working class and now middle class, there is more equality elsewhere, which provides a better quality of life.
Many that are employed full time do NOT have affordable healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics