Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 09:02 AM

761 posts, read 316,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Factually, social mobility in the US is remarkably low for a Western country.
Is social mobility the same as financial mobility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Yeah, it wasn’t hard to figure out. Not sure why it was such a mystery to the OP when it’s quite obvious the poor are the least mobile, even within the country let alone trying to leave the borders.
The wealthy on the other hand have been renouncing Us citizenship at a brisk pace the last decade.
My grandparents and parents went from poverty to comfort — the most blaring common factor is their Christian faith which permeated every facet of life.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:19 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
My grandparents and parents went from poverty to comfort — the most blaring common factor is their Christian faith which pretty much permeated every facet of life.
Yes, it was much easier then, But I fear those glory days they came up in are over. Even my mother has a pension from just being a secretary, and until he got sick (TBI) my father was able to buy a home and support a SAHM with 2 kids on an appliance salesman salary. Today that salary would be too low to qualify for a mortgage, and he would have to probably pay at least half his salary to procure health insurance for us. That wasn't the case in the 60's. Health care didn't bankrupt people then, jobs paid well without college degrees, there were pensions. My grandfather was able to get a loan to open an auto parts store with no credit. So many things have changed now.

In one assisted living I worked in, there were a lot of women who worked for Bell telephone as telephone operators. All of them had pensions as well as lifetime insurance. Those days are long gone, and the middle class with them. Now they hoard all the money at the top.

In the 1970's the average CEO salary was 35 times more than his average employee. Today that number has grown by 940%! While the average worker compensation has risen by less than 12%. It is causing rising inequality between the top 1% and everyone else.

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-compensation-2018/

We have depression-era type bread lines, people waiting 20 hours for a small box of food. There are thousands and thousands of people living in tent cities. We are beginning to look like a third world country.

If only we could go back to the days of my grandparents and parents.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea. No. That's exactly not how it works.
The equation is very, very simple in America.

A couple (the traditional goal in life...with or without kids) making say $15/hr each in America can make it with comfort. There’s a HUGE middle ground between homelessness and extreme wealth.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:37 AM

46,966 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Is social mobility the same as financial mobility?
They're linked, but it's hard to put a figure on social mobility. I was thinking of financial mobility. OECD uses the lovely term "intergenerational earnings elasticity" - how likely is it that your income matches that of your parents. The UK, Italy (that one surprised me) and the US have a markedly lower likelihood of someone's kids leaving their parents' income bracket.

OECD paper, Figure 5.1 illustrates the point:

https://www.oecd.org/centrodemexico/medios/44582910.pdf

Old 01-01-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it was much easier then, But I fear those glory days they came up in are over. Even my mother has a pension from just being a secretary, and until he got sick (TBI) my father was able to buy a home and support a SAHM with 2 kids on an appliance salesman salary. Today that salary would be too low to qualify for a mortgage, and he would have to probably pay at least half his salary to procure health insurance for us. That wasn't the case in the 60's. Health care didn't bankrupt people then, jobs paid well without college degrees, there were pensions. My grandfather was able to get a loan to open an auto parts store with no credit. So many things have changed now.

In one assisted living I worked in, there were a lot of women who worked for Bell telephone as telephone operators. All of them had pensions as well as lifetime insurance. Those days are long gone, and the middle class with them. Now they hoard all the money at the top.

In the 1970's the average CEO salary was 35 times more than his average employee. Today that number has grown by 940%! While the average worker compensation has risen by less than 12%. It is causing rising inequality between the top 1% and everyone else.

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-compensation-2018/

We have depression-era type bread lines, people waiting 20 hours for a small box of food. There are thousands and thousands of people living in tent cities. We are beginning to look like a third world country.

If only we could go back to the days of my grandparents and parents.
My grandparents and parents never had anything like pensions. They simply worked hard and valued every dollar.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:44 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Look at housing and stock prices.

Our property is a hot commodity. Our stock market won’t slow for any force of nature.

My conclusion:

There is simply no better place on earth to live than the United States of America in 2020. There has never been anywhere better to live as far as having access to so much with such a high degree of upward mobility for even people with no skill following simple practical financial advice.

The US empire is just getting started.
It sounds like you're having a manic episode. Or else you were only in knee pants during the 3 stock market "recessions", "corrections", whatever you want to call them, in the first decade of the new millennium, so you missed all the excitement.

"Upward mobility"? "...for even people with no skill"? You're scaring me, OP. Nobody could be this out of touch with reality.

So....tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from, where on the socio-economic scale was the family in which someone like yourself was raised and acquired this worldview of life in the US? Your parents went from rags to riches, you say? Where were they on the color scale? Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:57 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
The equation is very, very simple in America.

A couple (the traditional goal in life...with or without kids) making say $15/hr each in America can make it with comfort. There’s a HUGE middle ground between homelessness and extreme wealth.
Oh boy, here we go again.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:35 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
My grandparents and parents never had anything like pensions. They simply worked hard and valued every dollar.
Most people don't save money for the future. Then they lament about their financial circumstances.

It is something rooted in human nature, like greed.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:31 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,217,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like you're having a manic episode. Or else you were only in knee pants during the 3 stock market "recessions", "corrections", whatever you want to call them, in the first decade of the new millennium, so you missed all the excitement.

"Upward mobility"? "...for even people with no skill"? You're scaring me, OP. Nobody could be this out of touch with reality.

So....tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from, where on the socio-economic scale was the family in which someone like yourself was raised and acquired this worldview of life in the US? Your parents went from rags to riches, you say? Where were they on the color scale? Inquiring minds need to know.
It’s entertaining but also scary how much he’s out of touch with reality like I’ve already said before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics