Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 06:41 PM

761 posts, read 316,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
If you are skilled/talented or just plain lucky and can get enough money to pay for your home and other expenses (including healthcare) along with investing in the market, yes the US is good. I'd consider my household to be in that situation.

But, if you're not advantaged and are just getting by (the majority of Americans), it can be a tough place to live. The fact is that with your healthcare tied to your job, you could lose your job and be plain out of luck. You run the risk of huge medical bills/expenses. In addition, there isn't much of a social safety net like other countries, such as mandatory paid family leave, significant COVID financial support (you can see the battle in congress) and other things you find in developed countries.

Bottom line, the US is great for the wealthy and those who are ascendant. This probably equates to 10-25% of the population. You can really shoot for the stars here and if you make it, you can do better than most other countries. For the poor, working class and now middle class, there is more equality elsewhere, which provides a better quality of life.
Why does living below one’s means and staying out of debt sound like a mythical idea only achievable in an almost forgotten era long ago?

It seems like the young formative years are when we are supposed to become good little debt slaves always working from a hole. Do you blame consumerism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 PM

Middle class or at least sodlidly working class by 40 is for many a straight forward process of following a common sense mathematical equation.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:22 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Bottom line, the US is great for the wealthy and those who are ascendant. This probably equates to 10-25% of the population. You can really shoot for the stars here and if you make it, you can do better than most other countries. For the poor, working class and now middle class, there is more equality elsewhere, which provides a better quality of life.
So, one has to wonder why so few Americans in the bottom 75% leave for greener pastures in other countries.

You would think they would be taking off from here in droves. Reality doesn't add up.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
I’m sorry but you’ll be right back here in 8 years saying the same thing.

Hell, I bet 90% of China’s population would gladly trade their lot in life for an American middle class existence.
How many yrs have you lived / worked in China as a US Expat? (So that you are 90% sure)

Quote:
And how many Americans are clamoring to live in China?

China has no place in this discussion.

Their existence as the world’s leader is total vaporware.
China is very strategic and currently LTAO at the USA 'fumble'... the dragon will strike

Quote:
Middle class or at least sodlidly working class by 40 is for many a straight forward process of following a common sense mathematical equation.
really?

Double income?
College grad? (I hope not at $15/hr)
Skilled Laborer? (they should be $30+/ hr)
Minimum wage is $15/ hr in my domicile area, but ranges in USA from $7.25 to $15 (state rates)
(5) States have NO minimum wage
Grunt? $1.50/hr (That would have been a raise for me, retired by age 49, single income family, no inheritance, caring (and paying) for disabled parents). Nothing special. Healthcare? Go without if in USA... Get sick or injured? Best to die before seeking care.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:36 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Why does living below one’s means and staying out of debt sound like a mythical idea only achievable in an almost forgotten era long ago?

It seems like the young formative years are when we are supposed to become good little debt slaves always working from a hole. Do you blame consumerism?
Consumerism is part of it, but also lack of educational attainment by so many. Its not just traditional education but financial education. Too many people I know aren't willing to sacrifice instant gratitude in pursuit of long-term goals. My wife and I have lived below our means for years and have accumulated a lot of wealth, but this has occurred gradually.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:38 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, one has to wonder why so few Americans in the bottom 75% leave for greener pastures in other countries.

You would think they would be taking off from here in droves. Reality doesn't add up.
Well, a good portion of Americans aren't very worldly and just haven't experienced the lifestyle/cultures of other countries. Of course, people are also often tied to proximity to family and friends and that can be a very strong draw, even if the quality of life is inferior. Finally, most developed countries would only accept people if they have a certain amount of wealth or a discernible skillset. For example, Australia and New Zealand require immigrants (who aren't relocating for a sponsored job) to have at least $3M in net worth. The bottom 75% of Americans simply wouldn't qualify.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
So were mine ...my folks went from communist eastern europe to middle class.

I would say things were different and with more opportunity then

I agree this is somewhat true.
Oh bull. I have a cousin who is coming from a former eastern block country and he is starting a business in Canada.

The opportunity is there. The reason most people see it in the “there is no opportunity “ mentality is because they are too lazy or don’t have the drive to do it. Plenty of people start businesses every day...not all succeed. My first two businesses went down inflames. Third one....made a killing.
I’m glad I didn’t have the it’s hopeless mentality

Old 12-29-2020, 10:33 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,407 times
Really? Lol.

The US is a great place to make good money mid to late career, but before (pre university education) and after (retirement) the US sucks balls.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Really? Lol.

The US is a great place to make good money mid to late career, but before (pre university education) and after (retirement) the US sucks balls.
Why do you say that?

Old 12-30-2020, 06:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Really? Lol.

US has 2 types of careers basically. Those that are on white collar welfare the other on blue collar welfare.

The rest of the people are living off the government. I didn't count the rich because they got their own ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics