Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 12:16 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Unemployment is down to 6%. People are working somewhere.
So how can both things be true at once?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 12:30 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Food service is no worse or better than a hundred other jobs. Have you ever worked in landscaping? Or on a dairy farm or a construction site? Or a mover? Back breaking work. You come home at the end of the day, totally exhausted and filthy. One good injury and you're out, possibly forever.

Then we could talk about some miserable office situations, with back stabbers and gossips making everyone miserable. Call centers where you deal all day with angry people.

I think the biggest problem with food service is the prevailing attitude that it's scut work, that people who do it are losers, to be despised or pitied.

I thought the 1960s was about getting away from elitism, stick it to "the rich", all those rock-n-roll bands glorifying the working people over the elite, and so forth. Yet, people's attitudes have become less egalitarian over the years.

Okay I'll get off my soap box now
I've done every one of those jobs you mentioned and you are right. All back-breaking and the political BS too. After being an entrepreneur all my life, I worked in a resort restaurant for the last 9 years of my working life. That's all there was in that tourist town. Very hard work but generally good conditions until the end, and I netted $1,000 a week in tips too, like the bartender mentioned. Yet I always felt looked down on and pitied just because it was food service. I felt so defensive that I did mention what I made occasionally, to defend my pitiable job, lol.

I miss the money, but glad I'm not there now!!

Old 04-30-2021, 10:50 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
thousands of help wanted signs up where I am. All say $13 to $15 an hour. Nobody wants them.

They've been given the summer off ($5-700 a week) by the state/federal government. If these federal $300 a week checks get extended beyond September (and they're talking about it), many of these businesses will close. Biden should walk around Rehoboth Beach, DE, those help wanted signs -- they're everywhere.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:22 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
I would agree that we should start bumping down unemployment after this summer, with some caveats. If you were previously in an industry that covid arbritrarily closed down, then you should keep getting it.

E.g. anything in performing arts. People very much want to hear live music again but states won't let them perform. Also things related to sports, etc... Arts and culture has taken huge hits, ironically done to them by the same liberals who supposedly champion them.

I'm so F***ing done with covid restrictions, especially now with the vaccine there is no excuse to keep doing them. I can't stand all the half-measures which are well documented not to work. Full lockdowns work, arbitrary ones where governors pick and choose who can be open and who can't, do not. The government absolutely deserves to compensate the people who it affected by shutting down their livings arbitrarily.

In about 2 more months everyone will have had the chance to get the vaccine and we will have an over-supply of it. Already like that in some places. At that point I'm ready to tell people, "we are opening and if you don't get the vaccine, your chances of death from getting covid are X% worse than if you do get it. Take your chances if you want."

Last edited by redguard57; 04-30-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 02:40 PM

some of these vaccine sites look like the Maytag repairman shop. Politicians purposely ordered million and millions of doses that will never be used, all to score points with the public.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:42 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
I made almost $800 last week and I only worked 30 hrs waitressing.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
send those vacines to INDIA,

Old 04-30-2021, 03:09 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
some of these vaccine sites look like the Maytag repairman shop. Politicians purposely ordered million and millions of doses that will never be used, all to score points with the public.
How were they supposed to know so many people wouldn't want them?

I had been under the impression that vaccines = covid problem over. Kind of like Polio or Measles. So yeah, you produce enough vaccines for every American. I had no idea that such a high percentage of the population thinks that both covid and the vaccines are some kind of hoax.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:08 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Our local alternative newspaper, Westword, tracks restaurant openings/closings.
They show more openings than closings. And, have throughout most of Covid time.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:35 AM

stay home and collect what you can is short sighted. Gives you a great opportunity to add a zero onto your lifetime SS benefit calculations for 2021.....which is based on earnings over a 35 year period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics