Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 09:21 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,613,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
This mind set is always amusing to me especially when said person is sitting on a high seven to 8 figure investment account balance. One in part because it partially ignores his corporate tax attorney wife’s contributions(at least partially IMO), it also ignore that a large portion of the population typically can’t work 40 hour weeks if they wanted to as evidenced by the fact that not many countries if any average 60 hour weeks, let along 50 weeks and a lot or should I say the majority average under 40 hour weeks. Someone is disconnected from reality
What's amusing is when someone assumes that they were born with such an account balance and not that they made the right moves to attain it and is then sending back the wisdom attained to others.

Who should people take advice from? People that achieved a lot or people that achieved very little.

You decide to work harder in school to attain good grades and get involved other activities....or you don't.

You decide on a career path, and if it's more difficult or less fun, you work the extra to make sure you're in a position to learn more or get that internship...or you don't.
You then decide whether you're going to work to learn as much as you can from that position....or you don't.

You either take the extra effort to upgrade skills and network with other people doing the same....or you don't.

And eventually, when that extra work comes into play, you see an opportunity coming you will be ready to grab and make it with....or you don't....or you're simply not in position because you haven't been working yourself up all this time.

Some people win the lottery, either literally or by being born to rich parents....but for everyone else, they need to work to get where they need to be....because that's what we start with, our labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:39 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Lol, the Plantation Owners want their Slaves back but those Slaves are enjoying higher standard of living staying at home and collecting unemployment. No one wants to a be a Wage Slave anymore.
Write back September 7th.

Old 05-22-2021, 03:43 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Here’s an observation I agree with:
“I don’t get the argument that employers can’t afford to pay $15/hour. That’s the value of labor. If I can’t afford a Porsche, then I can’t buy a Porsche. I don’t get to demand a discount on Porsches. If a business can’t afford labor, that’s on the business, not the labor market.”
Because it is incorrect - the value of labor is what the market sets, not what is dictated. The market supply and demand is what determines the wage and the value of labor. If a business cant afford $15 but can afford $11 and the person working is willing to take $11, then the value is $11, not $15. The job goes away if forced to pay $15 for a job worth $11.

Just like the cost of a Porsche is set by the market - the price goes up if demand is high, the price drops if demand is lower - the Porsche is discounted if that is what is needed to get the car sold.

Your last statement shows a lack of understanding. The labor market consists of Businesses and Laborers - businesses are an equal part, providing the jobs - the labor market doesn't exist without them - just like it doesn't exist without laborers.

Last edited by ddeemo; 05-22-2021 at 03:57 AM..

Old 05-22-2021, 05:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So then the meat packing plants would shut down for lack of workers?

A stupid wall will not do anything. Prosecute the employers if you want to do something about illegals. As I've said many times on this subject - look at how Russia handles it. Try to get a job in Russia as a foreigner. See what happens to both you, and the business that employs you.
Yeah, I want our government to be like Russia's.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
The American work ethic is not dying, some people seem to be getting tired of working for peanuts. Inflation increases have greatly outpaced wage increases so people have to work more to get less to try and pay for the increasing costs of rent, food, transport, etc. Social mobility rankings are quite low in the US, 2nd lowest only to the UK in the developed world. I don't blame people if they get exhausted from working 40 hours a week and barely have anything left over, if at all, at the end of the month.

Plus, isn't the US the only developed nation without a nationally mandated paid vacation and sick leave? Like, some employers actually don't (have to) offer those things? (regardless of what the job is, it should be offered, but isn't always as far as I understand. Do correct me if I am wrong). Even a basic 40 hour/week job should include basic medical (even if it is the most basic available), some paid vacation and sick leave (at least 2 weeks/year?) and some kind of contribution to a retirement fund + more progressive stances on paid maternity and paternity leave.

Workers are not less efficient and working less hard. They are tired and drained (financially, physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, etc.). Give more paid time off, better benefits, a happy, well-rested employee is a better employee.

What companies in the US do NOT offer paid vacation or sick leave or personal time off if someone works 40 hours a week?

Old 05-22-2021, 05:20 AM

True story that happened to me recently:

A friend and I were checking out at a restaurant where you pay at the counter. While we were paying for our meal, the cashier, who was about 19 years old, tatted up, man bun, facial piercings, etc. started complaining to us about how unfair wealth distribution is - specifically about how people over 50 had more wealth as a group than people under 25. (Yeah, I sure hope that's the case but I digress.) He then started complaining to us about the cost of housing, specifically rent. Well, he was complaining to the wrong people but I can see that if that was his usual mode of communication he'd be lucky to still be working anywhere. Anyway, my friend owns and rents out four duplexes, which she JUST paid off at age 69. Constant turnover, always telling me some story about her tenants because most of them are so incredibly unstable. Many of them don't have checking accounts and want to pay her in cash - of course they want her to drive to pick up this cash at various locations, nearly always late, etc.

I rarely see this friend of mine get angry with someone, but she jumped in this guy's bidness. For starters, he had no business complaining to two customers who were clearly over age 50, about people over age 50 - we weren't doing anything to tick him off other than simply existing - before he started this conversation we were talking about BIRDS for pete's sake. Then he started complaining about rent (she charges about $600 a month for her duplexes which is actually on the low end). That was just too much for her I guess.

Good grief.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:26 AM

34,103 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What companies in the US do NOT offer paid vacation or sick leave or personal time off if someone works 40 hours a week?
Most don't.
As to the 40 hours... even more don't offer that any longer.
And too many of those don't offer cohesive schedules for what hours they do offer.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
LOL with all the "things were better in my day" posts. Maybe you guys are not old enough to remember the Sixties when people thought the youth had gone soft.
LOL in the sixties I WAS "the youth." (Actually I was born in the sixties.) Older people have always thought younger people were "soft." But each generation has gotten progressively "softer." Hey, my grandmother was a young bride in the 1930s. Some of the stories she told about working or trying to find work or whatever were terrible to consider.

I have photos of her with her family (including babies) out in the fields picking cotton. Their parents strapped the babies onto their backs and when their backs got too tired, they would drag the babies around with them on sacks. In the broiling sun. All day. Fingers bleeding. I'm not saying that's right - I'm just saying it was a reality.

I personally believe we needed more workers' rights, more civil rights, more women's rights and we've gotten them. But in my opinion, it's like a pendulum, and right now the pendulum seems to be swinging too far in the other direction just as it swung too far in one direction several generations ago.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
"Well just go get another job not in a service industry." My son waited 4 months of mental tests, personality tests, in-person interviews, pee tests, fingerprinting, just to be hired at a pharmacy, my daughter a grueling 2 months trying to finally start at Amazon. Even stupid Subway had a lengthy online only personality exam and mental agility exam with math. SUBWAY!
My granddaughter worked at Subway when she was 16 and 17. She got paid what her work was worth. She offered unskilled, inexperienced labor. She didn't mention anything to me about an onerous application process (this was two years ago) but I'll ask her.

I remember very clearly a few years ago meeting a district manager at Subway. She managed 11 stores. Subway had paid for her college. She was still in her twenties and making over $100,000 a year.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Most don't.
As to the 40 hours... even more don't offer that any longer.
And too many of those don't offer cohesive schedules for what hours they do offer.
Source please. Thanks.

Quote:
Most companies do offer at least a basic benefits package to their full-time employees since full-time benefits have become an industry standard and companies wish to remain competitive for the best job candidates.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/e/Are-F...b%20candidates.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/five...ees-18874.html

Over 70 percent of workers work full time.
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/work.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics