Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 01:27 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,079,701 times

Advertisements

Could you imagine not working for years and years?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-way...092147068.html

Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either. One-third of all working-age men. That’s almost 30 million people!

How do they live? What are they doing for money?

-Unemployment insurance
-Early retirement, pensions, disability and lawsuits
-Savings, trading stocks, and bitcoin
-Working for cash, aka the under-the-table economy
-Living off family members
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

It seems like working legally to provide for yourself in America is really just one option these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 01:36 PM

146 posts, read 114,584 times
There's way too many of these ”handyman” guys that work under the table and then collect every kind of welfare benefit under the sun. Or the guys who are ”disabled” yet they drive around town all day picking up scrap metal for cigarette money.

It's getting so there's not enough worker bees to support all of the parasites.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I wondered how so many people in the "great resignation" are able to pay the rent and eat. I know panhandlers next to the freeway ramps can make $200/day, but haven't seen an increase in those lately.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,906 times
Well that's me. I lost my job in 2008 during the Great Recession, the company I worked for was over-leveraged and sold for pennies on the dollar. I happened to get married to my girlfriend of 9 years and she was just started her career as an attorney. Right after I lost my job, we determined that her income was going to be 10X more than she ever earned before and that perhaps my time would be better spent doing all the things that she can't do due to her work demand or lack of know-how (cooking, cleaning, driving, errands, watch the dogs, asset manager, etc). So I became her assistant and retired from the "W-2 life" at the age of 27 with about $90K saved in my retirement accounts.

I thought about going to grad school to do something more productive, but something always got in the way. Now my wife is a partner at her firm and I've been toying with the idea of starting a yacht charter business. It's really just a way to hedge the cost of ownership, justify having a $500K boat that's only going to get used 1 out of 10 days, and I could employ some "boat-bums" from the sail base that taught me how to sail (they are licensed captains and are USCG certified).

Life has a funny way of working out. I went to school and wanted to work in Transportation Planning. My third year of school, I got a job working as a corporate event planner and was earning 3X the minimum wage while maxing out my retirement accounts contributions. After graduating, I never transitioned into the career I set out for but ended up being an investor in the middle of the Great Recession...it was like being at a fire sale with a bag full of money.

A few things I learned from my experience:

1) it's a bad sign when the company you work for engineers a reverse stock-split.

2) it's a bad sign when a corporate event planning firm buys up a marina designing firm, American river cruise line, and overpays for a luxury sailing yacht cruise line.

3) it's a bad omen when a cruise ship runs aground the day after you acquire them.

4) never be fully invested in the stock market because you'll want some cash to buy after the crash.

5) get comfortable living below your means, invest the rest while you're young.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:06 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post

Almost one-third of all working-age men in America aren’t doing diddly-squat. They don’t have a job, and they aren’t looking for one either. One-third of all working-age men. That’s almost 30 million people!

-Unemployment insurance
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

It seems like working legally to provide for yourself in America is really just one option these days.
A few things here: When you say "aren't doing diddly squat" does that mean they are sitting on the couch drinking beer and watch TV all day?

Because in your same you listed what they are "doing" for money. So, they aren't actually ding nothing.

Trading stocks and/or bitcoin is actually working. You need to have the skill to trade and you are putting that skill to use on a daily basis. I think some day traders work more than some people in offices.

"Working for cash" Well, it's right there is the description. They are still working.

Illegal work. Whether it is legal or illegal, it's still work.

Living off the land. That takes a lot of work. This may include farming, raising livestock, and maintaining the land. THat's tough work. Not necessarily doing diddly squat.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:09 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,435,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post

-Unemployment insurance
-Illegal work
-Living off the land

Can I imagine it? Yes. There’s plenty of ways to get the sense of accomplishment and pick up responsibility that gives life meaning outside of just traditional work.

I wouldn’t want to interrupt your rant, but half+ the things you list of people doing diddly squat are…them doing something.

Granted, I’m dead set against tax fraud, but people working under the table…are working.
Illegal work…is working.
Living off family could mean taking care of elderly family or raising children and keeping the household afloat.
Wouldn’t someone living off the land be working to survive?
Those trading funds to make money…are pursuing an activity that takes skill/luck just like a job.
Early retirement, pension, retired folks generally worked to earn that.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A few things here: When you say "aren't doing diddly squat" does that mean they are sitting on the couch drinking beer and watch TV all day?

Because in your same you listed what they are "doing" for money. So, they aren't actually ding nothing.

Trading stocks and/or bitcoin is actually working. You need to have the skill to trade and you are putting that skill to use on a daily basis. I think some day traders work more than some people in offices.

"Working for cash" Well, it's right there is the description. They are still working.

Illegal work. Whether it is legal or illegal, it's still work.

Living off the land. That takes a lot of work. This may include farming, raising livestock, and maintaining the land. THat's tough work. Not necessarily doing diddly squat.
Yeah, you just beat me too it.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
We need to end all but 1

Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
We need to end all but 1
Outside of the obviously illegal 2, which of the other 4 or 5 should be eliminated? How?…and why?

Old 09-27-2021, 07:55 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
I once did not work for like five years, so what? Nothing illegal about it. I lived off of savings/investments, and the GI Bill.

Nothing illegal about it at all. Matter of fact, most of your list is not illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics