Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Never seen anything like it.

I go to all the Honda and Toyota dealerships within a 200 mile radius of my home. Not one Honda Fit, Honda Civic, Toyota corolla, or Toyota Yaris to be found on any lot. What they will do is take your name and add it to a waiting list with a $1000-$1500 deposit. Then when the car arrives in usually 3-4 weeks, you can have one. The price is fixed, no negotiating and is usually about $1500-$2000 over MSRP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look online, sites like craigslist and people are firmly asking more then MSRP for a new one, for their used car, usually with 20,000-30,000 miles! Wow!

For example: Under normal market conditions, a nicely loaded 2009 Toyota Corolla can be purchased for about $16,500-$17,500 new at any dealer. At all the dealers I went to, most were at least $19,500 for the same car. Look online and you will see people selling their 2007 used ones for $17,000-$22,000!

I was not planing to GIVE AWAY my truck, but rather purchase a nice gas savor and let the truck sit, except for special occasions. I was only going to drive the truck to tow my trailer or when I needed to haul something. For the time being, I guess I'll keep driving it.

The sad part is, I would guess many thousands of Americans would like to do their part to conserve fuel, but they have no option. There really are no fuel efficient cars available to purchase and this is a tragedy in my opinion. We all need to cut our consumption down to ease this enery crisis and drop prices, but I wonder how many others are stuck drivng gas hogs, when they would change that if they could? If you want to get real angry, real fast, just visit your local Honda or Toyota dealer.

Well...if you do not have a family and don't need the space, for just 13,000, you can get one of these, FULLY LOADED!...
I want one! it's like driving a Pokemon' or something

smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

And PLEASE, it is extremely safe, as per the experts, because it's frame is almost a solid piece of steel and it is so well designed...unlike those bloated, ugly SUVs that if you breath on the wrong way on the highway they end up doing more flips and summer-salts than Mary Lou Reton going for another gold metal. Remember the Firestone tire recall? Any other vehicle gets a blowout going 50, no issue, damaged rims maybe, but that's it...a Ford Explorer gets a blowout at 50?!? One more driver of a gas-gussler gone to meet Henry Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:51 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I would consider buying a Humvee (H1) If it's cheap enough. Someone was selling one for 12,000.00 on craigslist, I am curious to see how low they can go!
Considering they cost new , over 100,000, but , thats not what was in the fad.
What was , is the H2 and H3 ( GM p/u chassis), with little room inside for hauling anything.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
I'd be interested in finding out where you live because I seriously doubt that there is a month long waiting list for vehicles. I can walk in any car dealership and there are hundreds of cars all over the place.

That being said, onto the thread topic.. nope.. now shopping for another gas guzzler. Getting GREAT deals on them now as people dump them. other people lose, I gain.. You can sit in your box, I'll stay in my nice safe, (or the very least comfortable) cars.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That being said, onto the thread topic.. nope.. now shopping for another gas guzzler. Getting GREAT deals on them now as people dump them. other people lose, I gain.. You can sit in your box, I'll stay in my nice safe, (or the very least comfortable) cars.
pgh, you should buy a few and "pickle and store" them for future use. They will stop making them soon, ya know.

I'm not into SUVs, but I know where you're coming from....my 57 foot boat holds 1200 gallons of diesel....that's like 7 grand to fill up. Sure, I could get away with a smaller boat but I don't want to!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,573 times
It seems as though I was one of the very few Americans who looked ahead and never owned one of those ginormous gas-sucking SUVs to haul around my fat food-sucking face in.

/30mpg FTW!
//Soon to own a motorcycle, too, to commute to work
///Bikes are fun anyway

Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
You can sit in your box, I'll stay in my nice safe, (or the very least comfortable) cars.
SUVs aren't any more comfortable than smaller cars. I suppose if you are...hmm...."big boned"...they may be, but otherwise I don't get it.

Quote:
You know here in Southern California I've noticed more people driving motorcycles. I think a lot of people have had them collecting dust in their garage and are now pulling them out.

Personally, I can't wait until all the SUVs and other wasteful trash is off the road.

Quote:
smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo
I finally saw one of these on the road about a week ago in the San Fernando Valley. It looked so funny in comparison to the other cars...but its pretty cool.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
SUVs aren't any more comfortable than smaller cars. I suppose if you are...hmm...."big boned"...they may be, but otherwise I don't get it.

You know here in Southern California I've noticed more people driving motorcycles. I think a lot of people have had them collecting dust in their garage and are now pulling them out.

Personally, I can't wait until all the SUVs and other wasteful trash is off the road.

I finally saw one of these on the road about a week ago in the San Fernando Valley. It looked so funny in comparison to the other cars...but its pretty cool.
death trap.....not for me. The big trucks are not getting smaller , only larger, to haul more stuff........and , save on number of trips.I feel safer in my mega Cab, and , MUCH more comfortable, its the price we pay , on the highway. Around town , the little box cars , Do make sense.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Nope, I have a zippy little Saab sport wagon. I fold down the seats and can haul anything I need, plus she gets 32 mpg highway, 28 city.

It's funny cuz I've been having a lot of people asking me about my car lately, in parking lots and such. Saabs and Volvos are known for their great safety ratings so I guess people are starting to think.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM

655 posts, read 916,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
It seems as though I was one of the very few Americans who looked ahead and never owned one of those ginormous gas-sucking SUVs to haul around my fat food-sucking face in.

/30mpg FTW!
///Bikes are fun anyway
Go watch a few goolish videos of what happens to you on your fun bike when someone bumps into you, or simply swerves in front of you causing you to loose control. 100 types of crashes in a car you walk away from , cause you to be picked up in tiny pieces when the same incident happens on a bike.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 AM

Bikes are a healthy way to get around, as long as your city is set up to handle it. Many are not, with the lack of bikeways that will get you where you need to be.
Here in Michigan , there quite a few bike friendly places. I live in Marquette , a city with a plan. We have more bike paths than any other place in the country, and ,in the winter you can cross country ski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics