Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,269,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorta semi off topic but...

Why is Congress making the Big 3 jump through so many hoops and decrying their luxuries when they handed billions upon billions to the likes of AIG, JPMorgan, Citi and didn't blink an eye or ask a question or didn't demand turnaround plans ? And when AIG splurged they only got a light tap on the hand and AIG went and did it again. And the banks..well they are still going to give out large bonuses.

So why are the Big Three being treated so differently ?
You know. I had this same question. They get so much flack for asking for a $34B loan but they just handed AIG $150B. I mean WTF? AIG didn't even have to make a cross country trip in a Hybrid and knock their CEO's salary to $1 to prove the point (they did do that after the fact but still).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:32 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,374 times
Quote:

Why is Congress making the Big 3 jump through so many hoops and decrying their luxuries when they handed billions upon billions to the likes of AIG, JPMorgan, Citi and didn't blink an eye or ask a question or didn't demand turnaround plans ? And when AIG splurged they only got a light tap on the hand and AIG went and did it again. And the banks..well they are still going to give out large bonuses.

It's quite a dog and pony show that's for sure and for good reason. Congress doesn't want to be criticized as they were for the mistake they made with the financial institutions blank check. I commend then for that ! Tester almost got a riot started fingering the financials .

It is clear that congress realizes that the alternative to giving GM and DAI a loan is "catastrophic" and the fallout to the economy would be "out of this universe" as it was put multiple times by many. I guess it's safe to say GM and DAI will definitely be getting a loan. It's a matter of what strings will be attached to it.

One string, I think the UAW is going to come out of this a powerless entity for the most part ! It was quite clear that there will be stipulations in place that UAW will have to come in line with transplant labor costs almost immediately or no money. About time !

F is going to clean up from this whole deal. The fact that they are pretty well set on the manufacturing side of things, it was pointed out by Corker that F is there to take advantage of what ever advantages get worked out for both GM and DAI. Most of all a low interest line of credit as also pointed out by Corker !

Mulally sort of slipped up a little when asked about any borrowed funds being utilized within the US. He stated that he has all intentions of keeping R&D in the US. From that tidbit of info and their business plan, I think F plans to utilize any line of credit obtained on R&D to further the gap and pull away from the rest of the world automakers technically. The future looks very bright for F. At least one of the three stooges has it right .

Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
I'd rather have these CEOs to forfeit all their stocks completely than taking $1 salary.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What he isn't saying:

He owns a lot of stock in the company. If Ford goes kaput, this guy loses, big-time.

We gotta look at all the angles...they do!

there's the rat that i could smell. he'll probably also miss the company jet and all the other perks that come with being top dawg.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,847 times
Quote:

Thank You, I was wondering the same myself. While I oppose the bailiouts in general, it pisses me off more that financial institutions didn't have to testify for their billions, while F/GM/C had to beg and plead for chump change. At least make these financial CEO's go through the ringer as well; these guys benefitted as much as the auto counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics