Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know a Depresssion survivor personally?
I know a Depression survivor 141 90.97%
I do not know a Depression survivor 14 9.03%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

It seems many have not, they seem so surprised by an economic downturn, blow it out of proportion and seem unable to cope or imagine life with sacrifices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:50 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
For most of us early baby boomers, all of our parents grew up during the depression, as well as our grandparents survived those times.

I'd say that I'm very much a product of my parent's outlook from those hard times; ie, don't buy what you can't afford to pay cash for, don't use credit except for a mortgage (that's right ... no car loans, no home improvement loans, no personal loans for anything), only use a credit card for convenience and pay it off in full each month. Waste not, want not.

I may have not had all the trinkets and toys and trappings of affluence and success that many of my contemporaries have enjoyed along the way ... but I don't have the ulcers and heart disease from stress, and I don't have a mortgage or payments on anything at this time, either. I don't agonize over not having all the toys that I could possibly want or imagine having. I don't cry myself to sleep at night because I don't have all those toys and "stuff" and affluence that others may have.

My ranch & farm, the rental properties, the cars, the boats, the airplane, the farming equipment, the livestock, the horses ... it's all paid for, and all from working as a small business auto tech for 30 years. Not exactly a high paying career to launch this all from ... "it's not what you earn, it's what you keep that counts".

Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
One of the Great Depression survivors I know (who also served in WWII and survived a kamikaze attack) still gets choked up sometimes when he talks about it. He personally knew people without shoes and remembers people going hungry.

On the other hand, my aunt was in one of the few families that was still well-off even in the worst of it (her family did not vote for Roosevelt).

So it would seem blowing it out of proportion is relative to who you were in the Depression and who you will be in the coming times.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
I grew up around depression era adults. Both of my parents,grandparents, and aunts all lived through the depression. My husbands' family is the same way only they had a larger family during the depression era.
Many had to struggle, and some just coasted along. My farther in law grew up on a dairy farm, so they did alright. They grew some vegetables but cut back on growing them because of theft problems. I guess people weren't too interested in stealing the cows.
Yes I believe I learned something from all those people. I learned to make do with what you have. Don't be too greedy. Don't get in debt beyond what you can easily pay. Most of all don't worry about keeping up with the neighbors and the Joneses.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
My parents as well. The habit of keeping bread crumbs in the pantry for a rainy day was a hard one to break, I hear.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Both my parents. My dad here in the US, and my mother in Europe. My grandparents, aunts, uncles too.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
Both sets of my Grandparents survived the Great Depression

Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
My grandmother lived in Detroit. They had a good time!! She was young, shared a house with other girls, I think they paid $5.00. They worked at the Detroit Club. Made excellent tips from Bob Hope, Jack Benny and other well known men.

My grandfather was a coal miner. He said it was hard but, not the night mare story most told.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,564 times
I'm the first one to say no I don't know any depression survivors. I never had much communication with my grandparents.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes i have. that and some hard years spent in a foreign country, means that i understand the word, broke, i understand the word hungry. these are meaningless terms for most americans including many public assistance recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics