Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

It's all about money and profit. The bottom line. People are no more than resources and the cheapest resource reaps the greatest profit.

The folks in India and China are now starting to worry because Vietnam and other countries are coming on board and doing the same work for even less money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
But this one thing I really don't agree with. Do you really feel and believe that all the people displaced by offshoring were just no good at what they did? And people from other countries are so much better?
I never made the claim that people that are displaced by offshoring "were just no good". People lose their jobs all the time for a variety of reasons. But some people like to blame the world, when the real problem is that they their skills are outdated or are simply not any good at what they do. In every field there is a good number of people simply not very good, the problem is nobody think its them.

In terms of offshoring, its not that other people are innately better, but rather they are willing to work for less. Most of the work that is offshored to places like India is low skill work. Some more high skill offshoring occurs to Europe and Russia, but these are advanced nations paying decent wages so what is the issue? H1B visas are usually more so for top talent and here the obvious issue is that there is a rather limited supply of top talent no matter where you go. This allows the US to attract top talent from across the world and companies are not allowed to offer wages that are longer than they would in principle pay a US worker (although, there is obviously a decent degree of wiggle room here).

H1B visa are essential to the health of the economy, the major problem with them is that they don't require (or rather don't verify) that the company first looks in the US work force. Europe allows similar foreign worker visas, but they require the company to demonstrate that made efforts to higher someone within the EU first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Personally I think humans in general have equal capabilities no matter what country they are from.
I don't agree with this. Is a guy from some Africa tribe have the same capabilities as someone born in say Germany? Perhaps at birth, but not as an adult. Everyone is highly effected by the cultural environment they grow up in. Middle America does not embrace science, mathematics, etc, instead you are a "nerd" if you are interested in these things. Generally, the kids that do these things are either from upper-class families or can withstand the constant onslaught of peer pressure. Both cases are relatively rare. Where as other cultures have rather different attitudes. Differences in culture can have far reaching consequences.

Personally, I think Americans have a huge entailment complex as America has been able to suck wealth out of the rest of the world for decades (often at gun point). But, now that the world is changing they are having to start working for their high standard of living (relative to the rest of the world), people prefer to collect rents than work hard. They blame things on out-sourcing, etc but the real issue is that America as a nation has been sucking wealth from the rest of the world. You can "bring back" any jobs you like and its not going to change the fact that the rest of the world is no longer interested in giving America a free pass.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:36 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
C'mon, McCain did not look at labor statistics for technology and then conclude "Hey, the economy is strong". That is just silly. I really have no idea why McCain said that, it probably had more to do with campaign rhetoric than anything else.
I never said he was looking at technology labor statistics that's what you twisted it into.
He said it because his advisors told him too. No doubt it was campaign rhetoric, but the same stats that you seem so hooked on were most likely the source.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I never said he was looking at technology labor statistics that's what you twisted it into.
He said it because his advisors told him too. No doubt it was campaign rhetoric, but the same stats that you seem so hooked on were most likely the source.
I'm not twisting anything, you are again making the same comment. The statistics I was looking at and talking about were labor statistics for tech, not general macroeconomic data. I really don't even know why you mentioned McCain.

You're right though I'm hooked on the data, I base my views on actual data about the economy, not what I want or need to believe to make myself feel better. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's all about money and profit. The bottom line. People are no more than resources and the cheapest resource reaps the greatest profit.

The folks in India and China are now starting to worry because Vietnam and other countries are coming on board and doing the same work for even less money.
Vietnam infrastruture wise is decades behind the chinese in industrial complexes.They are also way behind in education level for technology.They also don't have the money to invest in what they need like elctriacl infrastructure;transportation etc.Withthe way its said that china has structured their stimulus I think they may increase the lead even more.

Last edited by texdav; 06-27-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
So stating the obvious means I'm a democrat? Its rather obvious that the Republican party is falling apart. You don't need to be a democrat to see that.
But a democrat would use it as an opportunity to state what he/she thinks is truth.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
This is my prediction.

15% unemployment by the end of 2010.

The rate of inflation will hover around 12%-13%

The Chinese will sell off our debt on the news of the value of the dollar goes down against foreign currencies.

The Republicans will regain both houses on Capital Hill with President Obama’s approval rating falling to 43%

GM will continue to post large losses despite the government bailout. Plant closing will continue to effect unemployment levels.

The price of oil will exceed $130 a barrel.

The DJIA will fall below 6000.
I so agree with you on this one and all of what you have said. Common sense is hard to argue but some of these people don't have common sense. I am a realist. Equation: one and one are two.

Prediction: Government will change social security benefits from 62 to 64.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:44 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
You’re wrong again. Since when in our history did we have to bail out the banks, security markets, auto industry and God knows what else?
User_id is spot on when he said this has happened in history. Can you explain why you feel it hasn't?

This first link describes panics and booms. The article was written in 1903. However, it sounds eerily familiar....

The Imperial press. (Imperial, Cal.) 1903-1906 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress

This second link gives an example of bailouts. Exactly what is happening today. One title is exactly opposite to what you are stating in your post (that this has never happened before).

'MONEY POURS INTO WALL STREET' 'RELIEF WORK GOES ON, Cortelyou, Morgan and Rockefeller give timely aid.'

New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]) 1866-1924 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress

If you scroll to previous issues, it's quite interesting.

Some other titles that I enjoyed.

'WILL POUR IN ALL MONEY NEEDED', Courtelyou ends crisis, will place 25,000,000 of Government money in banks today.

Anyway, I could go on. There are a lot of articles that are interesting!

Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
I never made the claim that people that are displaced by offshoring "were just no good". People lose their jobs all the time for a variety of reasons. But some people like to blame the world, when the real problem is that they their skills are outdated or are simply not any good at what they do. In every field there is a good number of people simply not very good, the problem is nobody think its them.

In terms of offshoring, its not that other people are innately better, but rather they are willing to work for less. Most of the work that is offshored to places like India is low skill work. Some more high skill offshoring occurs to Europe and Russia, but these are advanced nations paying decent wages so what is the issue? H1B visas are usually more so for top talent and here the obvious issue is that there is a rather limited supply of top talent no matter where you go. This allows the US to attract top talent from across the world and companies are not allowed to offer wages that are longer than they would in principle pay a US worker (although, there is obviously a decent degree of wiggle room here).

H1B visa are essential to the health of the economy, the major problem with them is that they don't require (or rather don't verify) that the company first looks in the US work force. Europe allows similar foreign worker visas, but they require the company to demonstrate that made efforts to higher someone within the EU first.

I don't agree with this. Is a guy from some Africa tribe have the same capabilities as someone born in say Germany? Perhaps at birth, but not as an adult. Everyone is highly effected by the cultural environment they grow up in. Middle America does not embrace science, mathematics, etc, instead you are a "nerd" if you are interested in these things. Generally, the kids that do these things are either from upper-class families or can withstand the constant onslaught of peer pressure. Both cases are relatively rare. Where as other cultures have rather different attitudes. Differences in culture can have far reaching consequences.

Personally, I think Americans have a huge entailment complex as America has been able to suck wealth out of the rest of the world for decades (often at gun point). But, now that the world is changing they are having to start working for their high standard of living (relative to the rest of the world), people prefer to collect rents than work hard. They blame things on out-sourcing, etc but the real issue is that America as a nation has been sucking wealth from the rest of the world. You can "bring back" any jobs you like and its not going to change the fact that the rest of the world is no longer interested in giving America a free pass.

i think you meant to say entitlement, but it is still nonsense! americans have been sending their wealth to other countries, not sucking the wealth of other countries! other countries have uncontrolled populations which require huge capital to sustain.
american can do just fine if we stop the outsourcing of american manufacturing and concentrate on our own economy. how would you know how hard americans would work if their jobs weren't being outsourced? calling americans lazy is a judgement call that you are not qualified to make.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think you meant to say entitlement, but it is still nonsense! americans have been sending their wealth to other countries, not sucking the wealth of other countries! other countries have uncontrolled populations which require huge capital to sustain.
american can do just fine if we stop the outsourcing of american manufacturing and concentrate on our own economy. how would you know how hard americans would work if their jobs weren't being outsourced? calling americans lazy is a judgement call that you are not qualified to make.
I agree with you. How can Americans compete with the average Chinese worker who earns a $120 a month. I have to laugh at user_id. He really thinks it's about the quality of the work force here in the U.S. Hey User_id don't **** on our heads and tell us it's raining!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics