Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I’m not buying your argument for a second. To think that only India software engineers are the best is insane.
Huh? I never stated that Indian software engineers are the best. Rather I said that highly skilled programmers are rare regardless of where you look.

Quote:
I bet you make $100k a year but its no it’s not right that someone who spends years of college to become an engineer should also.
I never said its "not right", I said that one should not expect that sort of wage just because you have a degree. Degrees are in fact not worth that much, but the younger generations think of them as meal tickets. Now, they are getting hit with reality. Its actually part of the problem in this country, hopefully the kids starting college now think differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? I never stated that Indian software engineers are the best. Rather I said that highly skilled programmers are rare regardless of where you look.

I never said its "not right", I said that one should not expect that sort of wage just because you have a degree. Degrees are in fact not worth that much, but the younger generations think of them as meal tickets. Now, they are getting hit with reality. Its actually part of the problem in this country, hopefully the kids starting college now think differently.
So I should see a doctor who earned his medical degree while being home schooled by his mommy? College degrees are not just about showing up. Don't cheapen the efforts of so many who put fourth the effort to be great at what they do. Staying awake late into the night writing research papers was not an easy task.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So I should see a doctor who earned his medical degree while being home schooled by his mommy?
I don't recall suggesting such.

Quote:
College degrees are not just about showing up. Don't cheapen the efforts of so many who put fourth the effort to be great at what they do. Staying awake late into the night writing research papers was not an easy task.
I don't recall suggesting college degrees are about "just showing up". Rather, I said that a degree is not always worth that much in the labor market. And its not.

The amount of effort one put into their degree is irrelevant really. Again, this is just part of the erroneous idea that a college degree is meal ticket and one should always be rewarded handsomely when you get one. A degree is a piece of paper, what matters are your actual skills and to what degree they are in demand.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Have you ever written a software program? I thought not! They truly have a skill which is remarkable. It takes years of experience to become a great software engineer. I would not tell them their skills are not important to the economy as a whole.
Then they have no probelm selling thier skills if so. If the chinese can do it cheaper then they lose.They need to write better software than their competitors basically that make economic sense.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I don't recall suggesting such.

I don't recall suggesting college degrees are about "just showing up". Rather, I said that a degree is not always worth that much in the labor market. And its not.

The amount of effort one put into their degree is irrelevant really. Again, this is just part of the erroneous idea that a college degree is meal ticket and one should always be rewarded handsomely when you get one. A degree is a piece of paper, what matters are your actual skills and to what degree they are in demand.
You will not get into any professional industry with out a college degree. It’s just that simple. It may not be a meal ticket but those who compete for available professional position do so with other college graduates. No one will call you without a college degree and teaching is just one example. Have you ever gone to college?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
You will not get into any professional industry with out a college degree. It’s just that simple. It may not be a meal ticket but those who compete for available professional position do so with other college graduates.
There are many people that get into "professional industry" without college degrees. But this is irrelevant...as are most of the things you type.

Quote:
No one will call you without a college degree and teaching is just one example. Have you ever gone to college?
Teaching in most cases requires a college degree, so what? Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time in college. I never thought of it as a meal ticket though, I went for personal enjoyment.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
There are many people that get into "professional industry" without college degrees. But this is irrelevant...as are most of the things you type.

Teaching in most cases requires a college degree, so what? Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time in college. I never thought of it as a meal ticket though, I went for personal enjoyment.
The question is did you learn any thing?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
The question is did you learn any thing?
Yes a number of things. Now say something relevant.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Come on! Subpar skills? how does an engineer compete with a person who is earning one quater of the salary paid here in the U.S.? It's not about skill but cost, pure and simple.
Schooling alone doesn't make a good engineer. Most of them are subject to the law of supply and demand, but the talented ones can write their own ticket.

The problem with most engineers is that they're typically anal-retentive, uncreative left-brain dominants because those are the people who gravitate toward the profession. They're slow and steady, and they can solve complex equations, but they don't tend to be very creative.

A really good engineer needs to be able to use their right brain as much as their left, and that talent is almost impossible to offshore.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
They're slow and steady, and they can solve complex equations, but they don't tend to be very creative.
Every time I hear something like this I just roll my eyes.... If you equate "creativity" with being artistic (as is often done) then yes, they are not very creative. But in a more general sense engineering, like most things, involves a good deal of creativity.

Engineers do not sit around solving "complex equations", they after all, use software for that sort of thing. Engineers build things and that involves a good deal of creativity.

Ugh, left brain right brain talk is so annoying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics