Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Circuit City has closed the brick and mortar stores.

Someone did purchase the domain and has the site up and functioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
I'm still trying to figure out why Kmart still exists. Even their newer stores look like a 70's time warp. Walmart beats them on price and Target beats them with style.

Isn't JCPenney doing sort of well right now? I know they were having financial problems a few years back, but have seemed to bounce back pretty well.

I wasn't sad to see Circuit City go. The "experience" in that store vs. Best Buy was like night and day.

I haven't been to a Blockbuster in YEARS now that I think of it. I just got a new wallet, and when I was moving stuff from the old one, I saw my membership card from there, and had to pause because I had to think of how it got in there.

Is Little Caesers still around?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
LOL... But Sears did acquire the Lands End line and that's a little bit more upscale than racks of polyester. Hopefully, they still sell Lands End at the retail and it's not just catalog (obviously I haven't been in a Sears store for years). If not, then I tend to agree with you... Though Sears is also known for tools (Craftsman) and appliances (Kenmore) and stand-alone appliance/service stores. Have to support Sears as it is a Chicago area company... GO SEARS!

p.s. I was recently in a Menards hardware superstore (midwest chain?) and found a big clothing section with the most hideous clothes I had ever seen! WAY worse than Sears. There was one aisle with a complete line of sweatshirts/Tshirts that read "Menards U" and aisles of carpenter pants, pinstriped overalls, and Lee jeans. My DH and I couldn't stop laughing at the clothes! I understand these are "Worker clothes" but do workers really have to dress so ugly? I'd rather see an old pair of Levis and faded Tshirt on my repairman...
Me too

And (don't know if it's the same where you are) that "Save big money at Menards" jingle drives me nuts.

Another thing that always cracks me up here in the States is the SIZE range of the clothes - I once saw a pair of mens shorts that were so enormous I couldn't believe they would fit ANYONE - I was laughing so hard my husband had to literally drag me away from the display.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Is Little Caesers still around?
Yep, I know in Ohio and here in SC they advertise there 1-topping large pizza for $5 everywhere, and when I drive past, they usually seem pretty busy. Not that great in my opinion, but I guess for $5, a lot of people find it worth it.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Me too

And (don't know if it's the same where you are) that "Save big money at Menards" jingle drives me nuts.

Another thing that always cracks me up here in the States is the SIZE range of the clothes - I once saw a pair of mens shorts that were so enormous I couldn't believe they would fit ANYONE - I was laughing so hard my husband had to literally drag me away from the display.

LOL...I laugh at overly big clothes too (and also teeny clothes that are way too small for the wearer). I guess ill-fitting clothes bug me...

This site makes me laugh...

http://peopleofwalmart.com/

I'm not a mean person but if you choose to dress like this, you're kind of setting yourself up for potential ridicule. Where do people find these clothes? Sears and Menards?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
LOL...I laugh at overly big clothes too (and also teeny clothes that are way too small for the wearer). I guess ill-fitting clothes bug me...

This site makes me laugh...

http://peopleofwalmart.com/

I'm not a mean person but if you choose to dress like this, you're kind of setting yourself up for potential ridicule. Where do people find these clothes? Sears and Menards?

Spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I find most mall stores useless. Nothing but overpriced clothes and shoes. Think of that worthless store Abercrombie and Fitch that has gay posters and smells funny. And to think that was originally the name of an sporting goods store!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I find most mall stores useless. Nothing but overpriced clothes and shoes. Think of that worthless store Abercrombie and Fitch that has gay posters and smells funny. And to think that was originally the name of an sporting goods store!
Yes - the overpowering stink of whatever they're pumping into the air and the pounding music just stops me even contemplating setting foot in there. God only knows what it must be like to work there and endure that sensory assault all day long.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Default Smelly Stores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

I get nauseous if I have to enter a cheap shoe store (at least that's what I tell my hubby when I need to buy shoes )... Seriously, have you ever walked into, say, a Payless Shoe Store (once bought flip flops there), and smelled it... It is an overpowering smell of cheap vinyl/plastic made shoes from China (or wherever)... This is also the smell of The Dollar Store. I went there once to see if I could find cheap party favors and I was knocked over by the toxic smell of the store from all the plastic products... Needless to say, I didn't buy anything. I don't trust those cheap products from overseas where there is less regulation.....

I also don't like breathing in the noxious fumes from scented candle/oil/potpourri shops... Yuck! Just give me fresh clean air please!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I always found Hot Topic to be the most useless store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics