Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
I always found Hot Topic to be the most useless store.
That reminds me, there used to be this great sporting good store in a mall near me, unfortunatly, business became slow and the store went out of business, and guess what took it's place a few months later..............

.......................Yep, Hot Topic. I hated to see that store go and to replace it with that was like rubbing salt in the wounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
On my husband's behalf, I have to disagree about JC Penny being useless. They have a Big and Tall section that has reasonably priced, attractive clothing. Frankly, it's the only place I'll allow him to shop for clothes.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I get nauseous if I have to enter a cheap shoe store (at least that's what I tell my hubby when I need to buy shoes )... Seriously, have you ever walked into, say, a Payless Shoe Store (once bought flip flops there), and smelled it... It is an overpowering smell of cheap vinyl/plastic made shoes from China (or wherever)... This is also the smell of The Dollar Store. I went there once to see if I could find cheap party favors and I was knocked over by the toxic smell of the store from all the plastic products... Needless to say, I didn't buy anything. I don't trust those cheap products from overseas where there is less regulation.....

I also don't like breathing in the noxious fumes from scented candle/oil/potpourri shops... Yuck! Just give me fresh clean air please!
I like the Dollar Store. I like the 99 cents store more. I can make off like a bandit on canned food and even vegies there. Well, could until they build one in this town. Lots of people like these stores since they sell stuff that you need cheap and right now thats really good. Not to mention that most of it is the same stuff you pay more for in discount stores like Walmart. And have gotten a few pairs of shoes from Payless, and if you have a wide foot they carry a selection in a size thats hard to find. When I can I buy a lot of shoes from thirft stores, and most of my exotic boot collection comes from there.

Whats wrong with buying stuff that doesn't cost much? I wouldn't go to the Dollar store for a tv, but if I need a brush for my purse or a notebook why not? I don't buy a lot of expensive stuff because I can't afford it but when I go "cheap" when I do I can afford a nicer toy.

And I LOVE candle shops. They are one of the few places where you get candles scented all the way through the wax, not just dipped in scented wax. I make my own and sometimes get the cheap candles at the dollar store to melt down and recreate with real scent.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Pretzels and popcorn shops
Hallmark stores
Claires. Sp?
Music stores
Botanicas(if u don't know them, u don't wanna know)
Travel agencies
Radioshack

And many business that are always empty and I wonder if they are just a front for drug dealing

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 09-10-2009 at 05:43 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I Whats wrong with buying stuff that doesn't cost much?
Nothing... It's the smell of the place that bothers me. I worry some of the cheap import plastics are covered with chemicals (Lead? PCBs?) and I don't want my young children/family exposed to these products. (I know I sound paranoid but I always error on the side of caution in this respect.) If the canned food is made in the U.S./regulated then I would probably buy it. I remember that some of the Mexican made candies in that store were recalled for toxic ingredients.

I'm also pretty thrifty myself... One of my favorite store is the Once Upon A Child resale shop...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 AM

Out of curiousity, I just Googled "Dollar Store Recalls" and found pages of stuff re: food/toys made in Mexico/China that have been recalled for toxic ingredients (Lead), fire/electrocution hazards, etc. Wow... I knew something smelled funny.... Here are just a few of the recalls.....

Glue Guns Recalled by Dollar Tree Stores Due to Fire, Burn and Shock Hazards

Toy Cars Recalled by Dollar General Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard

List of Recalled Toys for Lead Poisoning Hazards – Childrens Toy Recalls from China

Nationwide Valentine Candy Recall - KTEN.com News Weather Sports Ardmore Durant Sherman Denison-

Dollar Stores Recall 300,000 Toys

Soldier, Pirate Dollar Store toys recalled for lead content

Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,790 times
You forgot to mention WalMart!!!

Soon the only place to spend money will be Wally World.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
You forgot to mention WalMart!!!

Soon the only place to spend money will be Wally World.
Which is why I don't shop there at all.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
And I LOVE candle shops. They are one of the few places where you get candles scented all the way through the wax, not just dipped in scented wax. I make my own and sometimes get the cheap candles at the dollar store to melt down and recreate with real scent.
Sorry I just don't like anything that could possibly be toxic in my house or near my kids. Maybe some of the candles have only non-toxic ingredients (e.g. beeswax) but since I don't have the time nor inclination to research each candle, I just avoid them altogether.

Scented Candles: The Toxic Health Risks | Ecoble

"The average commercially produced candles contain substances, such as paraffin wax, which when burned release toxins into the air and can lead to health problems. Such scented candles may have been made using methods that are linked to refining crude oil and are comprised of fossil-fuel generating hydrocarbons. Carcinogenic toxins that may be released could even cause cancer over an extended period of time, and additional pollutants such as acetone (an ingredient in nail polish remover and paint thinner!), soot, lead, and benzene may all leave their mark, as well. Are your aromatic candles as attractive now?
According to the US Consumer Public Safety Commission, candles are producing more soot than ever before, and lead wicks still remain a problem in imported products up until the last couple years."

Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Circuit City has closed the brick and mortar stores.
WHOA! Thanks for the newsflash!

To me, the most worthless store on the planet is FYE. I hate that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics