Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Whoa, in a high school, teenagers need to hold it in for 45 to 50 minute periods. They can go to the bathroom during passing periods. They can also go during their lunch periods and usually, they will be allowed to go if they have a study hall.

Now, if your child has a special bladder problem that's one thing. If not, then it makes no sense for him to go out during a short period when he is supposed to be learning the subject being taught.

In elementary school things are a bit different, but the teacher you were talking to teaches high school.

Btw, our ISD used to have RNs, but they no longer do. Money saving is a big thing. I'm in the Houston area. I don't get how they can get away with not having nurses given the number of special needs children. We even have kids with shunts.

I have no idea where you get that *most* teachers have unions either. Texas does not have unions. It is a right to work state.

Here's the map for right to work states. 23 states are non-union. Of course, in many states, the teacher's unions are very much in bed with the administration and don't really protect teachers at all.

Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation
so a six year old should be denied a bathroom break because the urge hit her 10 minutes after the last break???
And sorry, I was one of those kids that needed to go poop about an hour after every lunch period and that ten minute break between classes was barely enough time to grab your next set of books and make it through the other 1600 kids in a school designed to hold 800. Guess I was lucky that our teaches allowed bathroom breaks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times
And by the way, y'all should Google Texas teachers unions and see what you find. Just because Texas is a right to work state doesn't mean that there aren't unions and once a contract is signed....
Texas registered nurses have been looking into unionizing for years.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Quote:
Originally posted by ferretkona
I have had a spastic colon all my life. Few teachers understood. Not being allowed to go to the toilet meant I often crapped my pants in the seat I was forced to sit in.

So, to all the understanding teachers thank you. The rest can rot in hell.
Couldn't you get a doctor's note or let the teachers know about your condition? I've had students with bladder problems who I ALWAYS allow to use the bathroom. Even if I suspect they're abusing it, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Others, I only let out during our work time, when we're working on something in class. Seldom during instructional time--which, in my room is never more than 20--25 min.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
so a six year old should be denied a bathroom break because the urge hit her 10 minutes after the last break???
And sorry, I was one of those kids that needed to go poop about an hour after every lunch period and that ten minute break between classes was barely enough time to grab your next set of books and make it through the other 1600 kids in a school designed to hold 800. Guess I was lucky that our teaches allowed bathroom breaks...
Since when are 6 year olds in high school.

Elementary school usually has plenty of breaks. Heck even in daycare, kids generally go on a schedule and that is when they are being potty trained.

Now, most elementary school students can certainly hold it for a while, but teachers can make exceptions.

Btw, in kindergarten (5 and 6 year olds), there are often bathrooms in the classroom, so kids can go whenever they wish. In older grades, it can be more problematic depending on where the bathrooms are since kids have to be supervised and there is only one teacher in a classroom of 22 to 25 kids. The teacher cannot allow kids to go to the bathroom alone down the hall as that can be unsafe. It will depend on the school, where the classroom is in relation to the bathroom, if she has an aide, if she is allowed to let 2 kids go at a time, etc. Also, if children have special bathroom needs, those can be allowed for, but the teacher has to know about them and they may need permission from administration.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
Quote:
Since when are 6 year olds in high school.

Elementary school usually has plenty of breaks. Heck even in daycare, kids generally go on a schedule and that is when they are being potty trained.

Now, most elementary school students can certainly hold it for a while, but teachers can make exceptions.

Btw, in kindergarten (5 and 6 year olds), there are often bathrooms in the classroom, so kids can go whenever they wish. In older grades, it can be more problematic depending on where the bathrooms are since kids have to be supervised and there is only one teacher in a classroom of 22 to 25 kids. The teacher cannot allow kids to go to the bathroom alone down the hall as that can be unsafe. It will depend on the school, where the classroom is in relation to the bathroom, if she has an aide, if she is allowed to let 2 kids go at a time, etc. Also, if children have special bathroom needs, those can be allowed for, but the teacher has to know about them and they may need permission from administration.
Sad commentary on schools and our society that schools are so unsafe kids can't even walk down a hall alone to go to the bathroom.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Sad commentary on schools and our society that schools are so unsafe kids can't even walk down a hall alone to go to the bathroom.
Not *necessarily* unsafe, but kids will often fool around. They *can* get hurt doing so. Teachers are charged with keeping the kids safe, so there are rules they have to follow.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM

Btw, imcurious, what do you do for a living where there are no rules? Even adults follow rules at work depending on what kind of job they have.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
I don't know what you're talking about, re: "no rules." I think you are projecting . . . you don't know me so you are just imaging that I have a life free of "rules."

Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I don't know what you're talking about, re: "no rules." I think you are projecting . . . you don't know me so you are just imaging that I have a life free of "rules."
You are asking people to base schools on Summerhill. That is an ultimate *no rules* school.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Not *necessarily* unsafe, but kids will often fool around. They *can* get hurt doing so. Teachers are charged with keeping the kids safe, so there are rules they have to follow.
About 7 years ago at the middle school for a district I used to work in, three friends where going to the bathroom (from separate classes) and playing around a bit. One of them shoved another one too hard and he slipped and hit his head on the water fountain. He was in a coma for months and then eventually died. It was a tragedy but who do you think got the blame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education