Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
if the teacher needs to go, she doesn't stand there and beg permission.
What do you think the teacher does? I never attended or taught at a school that allowed teachers to leave class to use the restroom.

Most teachers try to use good sense. Most teachers let sick kids go to the office. Every teacher will occasionally make a mistake. The faker might be allowed to go; the sick kid might be denied. The teachers don't do it on purpose to cause harm to kids or to purposely infuriate parents. Believe it or not, most teachers actually care about the kids in their classes.

Most teachers let kids use the restroom but have some sort of system to discourage it. (If there is no deterrent, some kids will ask to be excused several times every day, because they can't be bothered to go at recess, or because they dislike silent reading time, or just because they want to go goof off a bit.) One school that I taught at had a buddy system because they were concerned about kids being out alone. So if one kid needed to leave for any reason, we had to send two kids.

In 22 years, I did have one child who for medical reasons needed to be allowed to use the restroom on very short notice. The parent told me at the beginning of the year, and it was fine.

Most parents are supportive of the teachers. Most parents understand that their children are not perfect, and that just maybe, sometime, they might be manipulative or irresponsible. Just maybe.

If there's a problem with a teacher, talk to the teacher (without yelling is best). Talk to the administrator. Take the kid out of that class. If the same thing happens with every teacher, I'd say something is going on with the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,437 times
I think the bottom line is that most teachers are pretty good at knowing who is actually sick and who is faking it. I think we all at one time or another faked (or at least attempted to fake) being sick to stay home from school. It's not a huge leap to understand that some kids would do this at school.

What is more shocking to me is that through this thread I learned that there are schools out there with no full time nurses. That never even occured to me. In my state all schools have a full time RN and some of the inner city schools even have full scale clinics. To think that there are schools out there dealing with allergies, illness, broken bones etc with no registered nurse is nuts!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:56 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post

What is more shocking to me is that through this thread I learned that there are schools out there with no full time nurses. That never even occured to me. In my state all schools have a full time RN and some of the inner city schools even have full scale clinics. To think that there are schools out there dealing with allergies, illness, broken bones etc with no registered nurse is nuts!
It's pretty common. This is my 18th year teaching. My elementary school has about 800 students K-6 and we have never had a nurse staffing the clinic. Sometimes, if the aide assigned to the clinic is absent, the office staff handles it.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
What do you think the teacher does? I never attended or taught at a school that allowed teachers to leave class to use the restroom

I've never seen a teacher pee herself----if she were nearing an accident, would she be expected to just pee herself and continue teaching?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What do you think the teacher does? I never attended or taught at a school that allowed teachers to leave class to use the restroom

I've never seen a teacher pee herself----if she were nearing an accident, would she be expected to just pee herself and continue teaching?
Of course not, but... she would be expected to plan and go to the restroom on her breaks - planning period or lunch and before and after school. Teachers develop iron bladders. Teachers eat more quickly and drink less water than other workers. They also take less restroom breaks.

On some occasions where there is an emergency bathroom break needed, teachers have to ask other teachers to cover the classroom. In some schools, that may mean calling the office. In others, it means opening the door and asking the teacher in the next room to help or asking a teacher aide to watch the class for a few minutes.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:56 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Of course not, but... she would be expected to plan and go to the restroom on her breaks - planning period or lunch and before and after school. Teachers develop iron bladders. Teachers eat more quickly and drink less water than other workers. They also take less restroom breaks.

On some occasions where there is an emergency bathroom break needed, teachers have to ask other teachers to cover the classroom. In some schools, that may mean calling the office. In others, it means opening the door and asking the teacher in the next room to help or asking a teacher aide to watch the class for a few minutes.

Ummm.....you think teachers are the only ones who learn how to regulate their intake and output? Newsflash---so do students, they eat quickly, drink less fluids, around classes. But sometimes they can't outsmart their bladders. Then they can pee their pants, is that it? that's what my ds was forced to do, go figure!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It's pretty common. This is my 18th year teaching. My elementary school has about 800 students K-6 and we have never had a nurse staffing the clinic. Sometimes, if the aide assigned to the clinic is absent, the office staff handles it.
This is the case in most schools here in CO, too. My friend works as a parapro in an elementary school health room 5 hrs/day. The rest of the school day (I think about another 1 1/2 hrs) the office staff covers.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM

249 posts, read 754,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

In my school, you would be written up for doing what you suggested. Kid cannot be left in a classroom without direct supervision. We aren't even allowed to leave student teachers in the room alone with the class. If the other teacher is free, that's one thing, but you are not allowed to stand in the hall and monitor two classes at a time.

I've never in 11 years had to call anyone to watch my class because I take care of my bathroom needs on my prep periods and at lunch. I don't deny bathroom use, but I do limit it to certain times during the day. If I am teaching the main part of my lesson, the kids know that they may not go out. Once they start independent work, group work or centers, then they may. Same thing with drinks. They are able to keep a water bottle on their desk. If they decide not to bring one, they need to wait until there is a good time to go.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
What is more shocking to me is that through this thread I learned that there are schools out there with no full time nurses. That never even occured to me. In my state all schools have a full time RN and some of the inner city schools even have full scale clinics. To think that there are schools out there dealing with allergies, illness, broken bones etc with no registered nurse is nuts![/quote
DW at one time was a school nurse and as others have replied many, many schools do not have a full time nurse. In fact, we didn't have a full time nurse when I attended elementary school decades ago either.

Many people misunderstand the role of the school nurse. Her job primarily consists of administering screening programs that exist in the schools--not treating sick children. There are vision screening programs and scoliosis screening programs. The nurse is obligated to maintain vaccination records and see that children without proper vaccinations either receive those shots or that their parents file a written exemption from vaccinations.

In our school district, the nurse also teaches something called the "maturation program" in elementary school. This basically explains changes in the body to growing boys and girls.

Finally, in all the school districts in our state nurses have the responsibility of training and overseeing aids who are present to take care of special needs children who attend class. Most people really have no idea, but there are kids attending school that are in wheelchairs and wearing catheters for oxygen. Sometimes I question if its a good idea for such medically fragile kids to be in public school, but the "Mainstreaming law" essentially mandates that they be there.

If a child is injured at school, the proper response is for the child to be taken either by parents or by an ambulance to a hospital emergency room, unless the injury is a mere scrape or bruise. A school nurse does not have an x-ray machine or other equipment to properly diagnose injuries and their complications.

It might be nice if every school had a nurse, but the reality is that it:

1. Probably is not necessary;
2. Would be a very high expense for school districts that are really struggling with their budgets.

Some organizations like NASN (National Association of School Nurses) advocate that every school have a nurse. l see it as one of those things that would be nice in theory, but simply isn't practical given the budget constraints that schools face. Its fine to want it, but be prepared to pay higher property taxes if you do.

Sometimes when people learn what the school nurse really does they realize that full time nursing services in a school are not essential.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
The teacher should have realized that your child had a fever and while it was wrong not to send her to the nurse at least a fever isn't life threatening.
My son has a severe peanut allergy and carries an epipen. His school is nut free. Some parents decided to bring in Reese's PB cups for Halloween. The teacher didn't check the bags and handed one out to my son. When she realized it was PB cups she told the kids to put them away. SHE DIDN"T even take the PB cup away from my son. I found it in his lunch bag.
The teacher is an idiot. There are 19 kids in the class and my son is the only one with an allergy. How much work does it take to check the damn bags before she hands them out. When I called her I asked her why she didn't check the bags. She said oh the bags were dark, they were tied in a knot????? So what. I told her next time she had better open the bags before giving them out. I reported her to the prinicpal. The teacher said the parent who broght the PB cups were called and told not to send those kinds of treats again. The parents must be living in some kind of bubble or they just don't give a damn whose life they endanger.
It is impossible for a "school" to be "nut free". Parents of other students attending the school might cook with peanuts the night before and leave traces on backpacks, jackets ect...A school cannot require parents of other students to live a nut free lifestyle. As a parent of a child with an allergy, instead of living in fear everyday, teach your child how to handle situations where nuts are brought into school. My son is a diabetic. I didn't ask other parents to bring sugar-free treats on birthdays and holidays. I always made sure a substitution treat was on hand for him. One that was cool and awesome and made the other kids go WOW! It can help a child who feels different in a negative way feel different in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education