Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM

608 posts, read 1,347,074 times

Advertisements

So are we debating if it is ok to break the law for the sake of YOUR OWN children? Isn't that selfish? I know personally I have turned over a dozen names to students who do not belong in my school, let alone district to our authorities, and even received a death threat from one parent who is now sitting in jail because of it. Stand up to thuggish behavior, and thuggish people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
When I was in elementary school, my mom put me in daycare for awhile. The only purpose was for me to be able to go to a better school. I don't know about other states, but in California daycare is a purpose for school transfer. People who put their kids in daycare in a school zone don't pay property taxes for that school. I'm not saying that defrauding the system is right. It's very obviously wrong.

Also, not every school district has low income options. There are many out here that have no affordable options at all, and the poor kids are relegated to a very bad education. The poor kids' parents can't afford daycare, so they can't use that option. There really is a huge difference in the education offered to rich kids and to poor kids. This is true even though most districts spend about the same per pupil in this state.

The number of kids who wish to transfer to the wealthiest high school in the district I grew up in is crazy, and only a very few get in. The other kids have no other options than the schools they are zoned to, which are really bad. One in particular is horrible, and those kids have no real other options. Their parents can't afford to move anywhere else with better schools, they can't afford private schools, and they can't transfer to other schools.
This is what I think a lot of people either aren't understanding, or don't care about; while I don't know whether or not that's the case for the specific woman in this incident, those who say "just move or go private!" aren't acknowledging that that's often NOT possible, much as a parent would like to go that route. How can so many people just look at those kids and say "well, too bad for them!"

Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
What about my Kid who l Pay taxes to go to school in the district, The money that is spend investagating, Cost of teachers, supplies for ones that should not be there. That mean Less for my kid. Yea it sucks to be 'the' other kid, but when to many start to show up with out paying, My Taxes are going up. I'm Moving then to a place where the taxes are lower and education is better (or worse but the saving in taxes will allow me to send him to private school.)

Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
What about my Kid who l Pay taxes to go to school in the district, The money that is spend investagating, Cost of teachers, supplies for ones that should not be there. That mean Less for my kid. Yea it sucks to be 'the' other kid, but when to many start to show up with out paying, My Taxes are going up. I'm Moving then to a place where the taxes are lower and education is better (or worse but the saving in taxes will allow me to send him to private school.)
Or... you could just consider the fact that you're going to be paying more in the long-run if we continue to allow a society with extremely segregated schools to offer two very different educational experiences to kids with parents with some money and kids with parents who can't afford to choose otherwise. A poor education is more likely to lead to long-term poverty, and that has long-term negative (including financial) effects for ALL of us.

Then there is that pesky Brown v. the Board of Education issue...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 PM

608 posts, read 1,347,074 times
Brown v. Board has nothing to do with this...

thank God

Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Brown v. Board has nothing to do with this...

thank God
Yet.

There are cases across the country challenging the local tax school district system that results in segregation. And as Brown vs. Board showed up segregation is NEVER equal.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
My grandmother did it for my dad.
Worked well.
If you do not have money but you want to have your kids do well you do what you have to do.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This is what I think a lot of people either aren't understanding, or don't care about; while I don't know whether or not that's the case for the specific woman in this incident, those who say "just move or go private!" aren't acknowledging that that's often NOT possible, much as a parent would like to go that route. How can so many people just look at those kids and say "well, too bad for them!"
This is true, however, consider the corollary:

Is the school in the mom's attendance area really *that* bad, or is it just that this woman wants her kid to go to school in the other district? I for one do not believe that test scores really tell you if a school is "good" or not.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is true, however, consider the corollary:

Is the school in the mom's attendance area really *that* bad, or is it just that this woman wants her kid to go to school in the other district? I for one do not believe that test scores really tell you if a school is "good" or not.
There were schools in her district that performed well. The woman herself said it was not for education reasons but after-school safety at home in the subsidized housing complex where she lived.

Who knows the real reason as fraud is being dishonest and any justification given after being caught is suspect.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
We don't know the whole story on this...however, anyone who works in the school system knows, that even in the same school district, the rich side of town, the schools have better equipment, and teachers, and on the poor side of town, the teachers don't even have books half the time. Some school districts have tried to equalize this, by putting in special "magnet" programs in the schools that are in the less affluent areas...but it does not always work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education